Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex v Leics Day Two: Today's The Day?

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
And finally...
"A Thread full of Mustard Trousers?"
champ33.jpg

and other Dedicated Followers of Fashion
champ17.jpg

and THE REST

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I'm Brian and so is my wife said:
I hope my dad managed to return from the afterlife for this day-he loved Sussex CCC and would be so proud today. I had a cheer for him just in case he was busy:D

I feel the same way.

I have thought about my Dad a lot these last two days.

The match should come out on video....for the ones who couldn't make it down there....watching Goodwin innings flashing up every two mins was unreal.

LC1

BBC REPORT ON Sussex win title

It is the biggest day of my cricket career

Skipper Chris Adams

More Sussex quotes

County Championship D1, Hove, day two of four (stumps): Leicestershire 179 & 38-2 v Sussex 614-4 dec.
Full scorecard

Record-breaking Murray Goodwin fired Sussex to their first ever county championship title on day two at Hove.

Sussex wrapped up the title after lunch when they passed 300, gaining the vital third batting point that means they cannot be caught by nearest pursuers Lancashire.

Goodwin, who hit the title-sealing boundary, celebrated in style to finish on 335 not out - the highest ever by a Sussex batsman.

It was his second century in two matches and fifth of the year, taking his seasonal aggregate to 1,496 runs.

Sussex deserve their triumph because they remembered that, to win the Championship, you must have match-winning bowlers

From Rob Ward

Have your say on TMS

The former Zimbabwe Test player stroked an amazing 52 fours and one six in his 390-ball innings, surpassing the 333 KS Duleepsinhji scored in 1930.

Goodwin put on 267 runs for the third wicket with skipper Chris Adams, who made 102 before George Walker struck.

The visitors used nine bowlers in an effort to peg Sussex back, but they could only take three wickets on the day before the declaration came.

It is fantastic to be here, having won the championship - just phenomenal

Murray Goodwin

And the newly crowned champions looked destined to win the game after Jon Maunders and Jeremy Snape just before stumps to leave Leicestershire a whopping 397 runs behind.

The match heralded a personal milestone for leg-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed, who became the first centurion wicket-taker in a championship season since Andy Caddick and Courtney Walsh in 1998.

Pakistan cool on Mushtaq recall

Durham, Gloucestershire, Northamptonshire and Somerset are now the only counties without a title success to their name.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yorkie said:
I feel the same way.

I have thought about my Dad a lot these last two days.

Ditto for me. He spent over 50 years watching Sussex cricket but never witnessed a championship. I spoke to a lot of people yesterday who wished that a loved one could have lived to see the day.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Glad you all had a great time, rea Pics Roz and yes thats definatley a PINK cushion in my eyes!
Wish I could've been there but I had crap to do at home :angry:
Still main thing is we've won!
Dick Knight has invited the team to Withdean if they finish today, so chances are the trophy will be parraded tomorrow :clap:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
CrabtreeBHA said:
Glad you all had a great time, rea Pics Roz and yes thats definatley a PINK cushion in my eyes!
It's f***ing salmon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chisla :jester:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Marvellous scenes in the Cricketers after the game.

Me and Itlaia had already breached security to get onto the Balcony within spitting distance of the dressing room.

I met Keith Greenfield on the balcony who i drunkenly slurred at about him coaching me over ten years ago at Junior School. He said, ' Yeah i know you're Max Healey'. I couldn't f***ing believe it, he knew who i was:lol:
Didn't nick me any beer though, clown Greenfield.

Anyway, in the cricketers Neli Lenham popped in of his face with Jamie Hall and we all had a lovely sing song.

Graet stuff:clap:

I assume its stonking head ache's all round. I heard Adams on Radio 5 last night, they asked if the players were going to party, he just laughed!

Radio 5 are also down the Cricketers tonight interviewing the players etc

Have fun down there.

LC1:jester: :drink:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It was not the most extravagant way to end 164 years of drought, but the pulled boundary with which Murray Goodwin sealed Sussex's first County Championship at Hove yesterday was entirely fitting.

The shot brought up Sussex's first-innings 300 and earned them the sixth bonus point they needed against Leicestershire to guarantee the title.

Swingtime: Murray Goodwin sealed success for Sussex with a triple century
Goodwin has been Sussex's highest run-scorer this season and a great deal of his booty has come bouncing back off the advertising boards at midwicket. A few hours later he went past a milestone himself as his unbeaten 335 in Sussex's 614 for four declared beat Kumar Shri Duleepsinhji's record at the club, set in 1930, by two runs.

Even against more testing bowling than yesterday's offerings, Goodwin's cuts and pulls are brutally efficient and the whip-crack purity of the stroke that secured the all-important third batting point 19 minutes after lunch on the second day was the cue for players and supporters to unburden themselves of a lifetime's waiting.

Captain Chris Adams, at the non-striker's end, punched the air and howled with delight before hugging Goodwin. The entire playing staff then joined the pair on the field. Sportingly, Leicestershire lent their congratulations as delirious applause and a piped backdrop of W Ward-Higgs's marching tune, Sussex by the Sea, announced the feat to anyone within hailing distance of the ground. The celebrations, which included the now statutory team huddle as well as a slow lap of honour to thank the sell-out crowd of 3,000 lasted a good eight minutes.

"This is the biggest day of my cricket career," said Adams, who arrived here from Derbyshire in 1997. "I was lucky enough to play for England, which was very special. But the stress we've been under for the past two or three weeks has made this something else. It's a very special moment for me. It's been a long journey these past six years and we've worked hard for it. This caps everything.

"It's been an outstanding season. Sussex have never won it before and a lot of members have been coming for years. We've given them some great times before this but I'm sure all of them will remember this day and treasure it forever. At a time when everyone is having a go at the county game this club has stayed strong. As underdogs, we've beaten two of the top dogs in Surrey and Lancashire."

The most heartening thing about a club such as Sussex winning the championship, irrespective of the parlous state they found themselves in seven years ago when bottom place caused an exodus of leading players, is that it filters all the way down. From the gatemen and groundstaff to the players and suits in the committee room, the sense of achievement from top to toe was obvious.

The players will get the lion's share of the glory as well as more than £200,000 to divvy up, which is entirely fair, and they can bask in it again today when the trophy will be handed over at 6pm. It will be re-presented by Prince Philip at Buckingham Palace on Oct 22, the official seal on Sussex's long-awaited success.

Whatever one thinks of the Cricket Reform Group and their intended euthanasia for cricket like this (and there wasn't a kind word for them down at Hove yesterday), the championship is a long flog that only the most hardy and consistent teams win. Sussex have been both this season, though their campaign did not begin well after they had lost three of their first five matches.

Since the championship was introduced in 1890, Sussex have finished runners-up seven times. That this team succeeded where stronger Sussex teams failed, most notably the 1981 side that included the formidable Imran Khan and Garth Le Roux, has been down to the lack of current Test stars rather than a surfeit of them. Even their overseas players, Goodwin and Mushtaq Ahmed, have no fixed Test abode, and only James Kirtley, who played two Tests for England before shin splints struck him down, has been unavailable through anything other than injury.

To win the title, you need at least two bowlers and two batsmen to be on top of their game for most of the season. Mushtaq, with 103 wickets, and Kirtley, with 49, have been the mainstays of the bowling attack while Goodwin, Tony Cottey and Matt Prior have been the principle scorers, all passing 1,000 runs.

Well-timed contributions from Adams and Tim Ambrose filled in most of the run gaps, while Billy Taylor, Jason Lewry and Robin Martin-Jenkins lent tireless support to the cause with the ball.

Playing on true surfaces at home, where six of their nine wins to date have come, has allowed them to adopt a simple approach. Score lots of runs quickly (the average first-innings score on home soil has been 458) and then let Mushtaq fiddle the opposition out at his leisure. It has worked like clockwork and it will be surprising if Leicestershire do not become another of their victims after conceding 614 runs, a total that left them trailing by 397 runs after they finished on 38 for at the close.

Leicestershire have been an absolute rabble in this game. If Sussex were not complaining, it took some of the gloss off Goodwin's monumental achievement, which contained 52 fours and one six. In that time he shared partnerships of 267 with Adams, who made his fourth century of the season, and 196 with Ambrose, figures that hammered home their opponents' inadequacies.

As celebrations began in earnest, the players were able to reflect on a job well done. When Essex won their first championship in 1979, it opened the floodgates and five more followed in the next 13 seasons. A similar reign by Sussex looks less likely but having been on an upward curve since winning the Second Division two seasons ago, you never know.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Sussex have saved more than £130,000 by insuring themselves against the incentive bonuses they promised the players for yesterday's maiden championship title.

In common with other counties at the start of the season, Sussex agreed to match the Frizzell winnings, a potentially expensive commitment at £105,000 for first place and £2,000 per victory - not to mention Mushtaq Ahmed's extra wicket incentives likely to race past £11,000 by the end of Leicestershire's visit to Hove.

David Green, the Sussex chairman, said yesterday he was "euphoric" at the team's success and was quick to quash any suggestion of surprise. "In June I felt we would win the title and said so at the time," he said. "Insuring ourselves against the bonuses was the right thing to do and certainly underlined our confidence."

A marquee reunion at Hove was planned weeks ago; everyone involved with Sussex in recent years had been invited, and there they were yesterday, watching the historic moment among a crowd of almost 3,000.

Sussex's ground, half-a-mile from the sea, a sloping green oasis surrounded on three sides by a suffocating barrier of flats, has unique character on the professional circuit. The grassy bank of deck chairs adds to a cosy atmosphere.

The field's ambience is beginning to evolve, with the new indoor school squeezed into one corner and a major spectator pavilion planned for the sea end. On the field the professionalism characterising Chris Adams's six years as captain has increased the tempo - first promotion from the second tier, then consolidation and now the title.

This year's championship coup could not be attributed to one person, not to Adams, not to the highly-rated coach Peter Moores and not even to Mushtaq's wrist-spin. Previous 100-plus bowlers - Andrew Caddick, Courtney Walsh and Anil Kumble - did not deliver four-day titles.

Hugh Griffiths, the Sussex chief executive, believes a period of continuity and stability within the club has been a telling factor since the arrival of Adams from Derbyshire in 1998 as reportedly the highest-paid captain on the circuit.

Griffiths said: "Signing Adams and erecting floodlights sent a message to the cricketing world that a new Sussex was emerging."

In 1996 Sussex had finished last in the championship and National League. Acrimony split the dressing room and that winter six senior players departed, including the captain, Alan Wells. The club then turned themselves into a public laughing stock when members objected to a photograph of Nigel Bett, the secretary, published in British Naturism.

The Bett row did at least give a new slant to Sussex being at the bottom of the pile. His eventual departure and the ignominious committee clear-out, orchestrated by a reform group led by the former player Tony Pigott and Jim May, a local bank manager, cleared the way for new faces at Sussex.

Adams strengthened the batting, achieving his own ambition of becoming an England Test player and his management partnership with Moores proved successful.

Griffiths, a club player at Littlehampton, continued Dave Gilbert's good work when the Australian returned to Sydney to become the New South Wales chief executive and Green maintained a calming influence after the resignation as chairman of the feisty Don Trangmar last year.

The financial bottom line can never be ignored. Griffiths said: "A spin-off from winning the title is marketing for next year. If you succeed on the field, the pay-off is the following year."

And a legacy from Spen Cama, a Brighton cricket enthusiast, should produce £7 million towards developing the ground, allowing some financial breathing space for next season.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I was there with a mate from work, should have guessed (now know from the photos) that was you lot and come and said hello. I was also 'Shabash' T-shirted up, sitting just along. Had to go when Adams was out, but the deed was well and truly done by then. Some quality photos, even remembered to take one of the scoreboard after the championship-clinching four. 302-2. Splendid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here