Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex Uni car park today

Oct 3, 2023
My issue with Pyecombe is the drop off / pick up at the Amex - more specifically, the lack of communication.

The last couple of times I have used it last season, we have had to walk around the stadium and coach park looking for the bus back, with no one seemingly having any idea at all. this is a shame as for us, Pyecombe works perfectly for us as we travel down from Kent, but it does seem that the lack of communication on the pick up is a bit of a downer.

I did email Seagull Travel (who I believe organise the transport) and to say they couldnt give a toss would be an understatement.
Sadly been my experience too. If you’re lucky and the driver knows where to collect from and communicates ( correctly) all good. If not , like yesterday for us you wander around coach park as no signs from the road entrance where to go.
As in previous post on two occasions when passengers ( both over 60s) commented with a hint of sarcasm about the communication they were met with a very sarcastic comment back.
Shame as EDF works well when operates and Pyecombe could be good too

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Out of interest what is the average time after the game that you'd expect to get back to Pycombe? I drive back to SE London and just figuring if its an option
I don't know if it's the same, but we did EDF for the first time for the Ipswich game, which worked well.

However, being in the West Upper, and with someone who has mobility issues, we stood no chance of getting on the first wave of buses, which led to a 35-40 minute wait, whilst they went to Hove and came back.

It was a sunny afternoon, so no major drama, but in the depths of winter when it's pissing it down, it would have been a thoroughly miserable wait.

My guess is none of the PnR sites have enough buses to get everyone back in a single run - which isn't unreasonable - but it you're in the West and like to see the whole game, I can't see you're ever going to get a speedy getaway.

Oct 3, 2023
Used Pyecombe P&R having seen it discussed on NSC. Is there any method/science as to when they use it as just seems hit and miss if you are lucky to keep checking the website before it’s sold out.
For me it’s a case of constantly checking as well as EDF ( we know doesn’t operate currently for week day matches ).

Agree that another “permanent “ park and ride option is needed and perhaps it should be EDF at weekends and Pyecombe for week days. Then could be communicated to all how it will operate and pick up location in car park etc

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Good post.

The lights on Village Way backup the flow of traffic and the bridge makes traffic single file. If you're going to Brighton down the A27 or going to Woodingdean you're in the same congestion that goes all the way back to the car park...

Am not criticising the marshalls as it's difficult job, but I believe it could be managed a lot cleverer as well...

Yep totally agree. I've posted this elsewhere a few months back.

The lights are marshalled manually after the game and they seem to give priority to buses leaving the car park which I think is sensible. But they leave them far too long for them and not long enough for card coming across the A27 bridge going up falmer hill. I have counted 3 or 4 cars a few times.

The morons that come to collect their idiot family members from the roundabout/bridge east of the stadium and swivel, its totally selfish and I;ve seen disabled people have to enter a busy road to get round them. That needs serious thinking about a policing.

Its better than having to hear the girl shouting "trains to Brighton.........staright down the middle" on the megaphone at falmer station though!

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I have to laugh whilst sat in my coach leaving the ground to go east onto the A27.
100's of cars lined up leaving the University. As they leave to get onto the A27 flyover there are two lanes, left is to go left (with a clear arrow) onto the A27 to Lewes. Right lane is to go straight on over the A27.
So why do cars take the quicker left lane then, on reaching the roundabout, go straight over blocking the roundabout?
Every game we get stuck on the roundabout with cars continuing to jump the queue blocking our exit.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I have to laugh whilst sat in my coach leaving the ground to go east onto the A27.
100's of cars lined up leaving the University. As they leave to get onto the A27 flyover there are two lanes, left is to go left (with a clear arrow) onto the A27 to Lewes. Right lane is to go straight on over the A27.
So why do cars take the quicker left lane then, on reaching the roundabout, go straight over blocking the roundabout?
Every game we get stuck on the roundabout with cars continuing to jump the queue blocking our exit.
Because they're selfish ****s.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Because people are selfish twats.

(I admit to doing this once after a midweek evening game with two young kids in the pissing rain when they had school the next day).

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
At the top/back. Looking at the map below, it's marked as Car Park 1.

This is the only car park I've ever parked in at the university, but we always aim to be parking up around an hour before kick-off. I assume the car parks lower down fill up with people who arrive earlier.

I always park in the very top right of this car park - close to Estates Road, which we take to exit, turning right onto Boiler House Hill and then following on to the Eastern Ring Road.

I made my drop-off in Durrington at 17:40.

View attachment 189275
you ever been in car park 7 (top left)? now I have a few tales from my experiences when i parked in the arse end of nowhere.......
1727106591496.png

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Having got a lift with someone that has parked at the Swan before some of those cars will have wanted to get into the right hand lane but no one has let them move over. Presumably as everyone is so pissed off after queuing for ages they're not going to let someone in front of them. So the only option is to go down the left lane.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The morons that come to collect their idiot family members from the roundabout/bridge east of the stadium and swivel, its totally selfish and I;ve seen disabled people have to enter a busy road to get round them. That needs serious thinking about a policing.

Really could do with some policing, see it so often. The roundabout and bridge ends up a free for all really.

Reactions: SFO

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Really could do with some policing, see it so often. The roundabout and bridge ends up a free for all really.
temporary bollards and a few stewards present 15 mins before full time telling people to move on should do it. Would make a world of difference for those that have forked out £18 to park within the rules and have spent a lifetime in traffic made worse by selfish people.

edit. guessing as its outside of the stadium boundary and not a car park its a police matter and not club stewards. Resourcing would make this lesser a priority.
if everyone agrees I'll hold off on my letter to PBOBE

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
temporary bollards and a few stewards present 15 mins before full time telling people to move on should do it. Would make a world of difference for those that have forked out £18 to park within the rules and have spent a lifetime in traffic made worse by selfish people.

edit. guessing as its outside of the stadium boundary and not a car park its a police matter and not club stewards. Resourcing would make this lesser a priority.

Yeah assuming it is a police matter and they're busy elsewhere. Maybe a few of those hobby Bobbies in high viz to scare everyone into behaving>.

How are the trains getting home these days? First time in ages that I’d walked past Falmer Station, huge queues of folk. Are the staff able to prevent queue jumping to join mates in the first bit?
No it's fairly routine for people to take the piss and bypass long queues and join just before the barriers. So brazen and with zero shame. The barriers really do need to extend back further, can't be that difficult surely. I salute zen-ed out folk who don't mind that happening in front of them, but autistic sense of justice me can't be dealing with that - I wish I was in the first category!

SFO

Mar 31, 2023

To be fair, that left lane doesn't have great signage. If you've not done it before it's easy to make a mistake...

I have to confess that the first time I left the Car Park I got in that left lane, thinking there'll be two lanes around the island and over the bridge before realizing ** **** it's a single line!

As someone said before, with a bit more clever marshalling that could be sorted out in a better way i'm sure.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Would that require police as the stewards have no powers on that property?

Hovegull

Nov 27, 2022
I don't know if it's the same, but we did EDF for the first time for the Ipswich game, which worked well.

However, being in the West Upper, and with someone who has mobility issues, we stood no chance of getting on the first wave of buses, which led to a 35-40 minute wait, whilst they went to Hove and came back.

It was a sunny afternoon, so no major drama, but in the depths of winter when it's pissing it down, it would have been a thoroughly miserable wait.

My guess is none of the PnR sites have enough buses to get everyone back in a single run - which isn't unreasonable - but it you're in the West and like to see the whole game, I can't see you're ever going to get a speedy getaway.
I stayed until the final whistle, walked round from the North and up to the coach park and was straight onto the third coach out to Pyecombe. EDF must have one bus full ready to go before the final whistle, as the first bus always seems long gone. The second and third go very promptly - full of people who left to walk round before the final whistle. Then then it can be a wait for it to come back, for those who left on the actual final whistle.
Of course, what doesn’t help EDF is the Portslade Station barriers which are, inevitably down.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
No it's fairly routine for people to take the piss and bypass long queues and join just before the barriers. So brazen and with zero shame. The barriers really do need to extend back further, can't be that difficult surely

Totally agree, can't be that hard to extend the barriers a bit further. Sometimes the queue to push in gets so big it blocks one of the entrances onto the ramp.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here