Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Pier's

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
After all the years of hassle over trying to restore Brightons West Pier I see Hasting Pier is in need of £1m of repairs now.

Should we persist in trying to repair and restore these old Pier's or would it be more ecenomical to knock the thing's down and just build replica's of them?

Thought's?

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Let them fend for themselves. They will either sink or swim (literally!). The Palace pier, although tacky, has made a fine job of making itself profitable. Nostalgia aside, would anyone be that bothered if the west pier disappeared? Would it actually affect anyone's life?

Hastings pier is probably the most awful pier in existence. Pull it down and invest the money saved into keeping the A&E open at the Conquest hospital.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Hastings pier was some club nights and was to pay host to the Kooks in August but the council now say its unsafe so unless someone invests in it (the council wont as its privately owned)its gonna fall in the sea and we wont have any more bedrocks

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Stinky Kat said:
Hastings pier was some club nights and was to pay host to the Kooks in August but the council now say its unsafe so unless someone invests in it (the council wont as its privately owned)its gonna fall in the sea and we wont have any more bedrocks

the kooks !!!! :eek: no im pissed off its closed.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
You should still the last few bits of the west pier and fix the hastings pier with it :)

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
British Bulldog said:
After all the years of hassle over trying to restore Brightons West Pier I see Hasting Pier is in need of £1m of repairs now.

Should we persist in trying to repair and restore these old Pier's or would it be more ecenomical to knock the thing's down and just build replica's of them?

Thought's?

:ohmy: That is almost exactly the title of my dissertation....

Something along the lines of "British Piers are proof of the illustrious history of the seaside holiday. Is it important to preserve the piers or have they outlived their uses?"

I found in their favour. However some are not worthy of saving...

Walton-on-the-Naze for one....

walton_naze_pier1.jpg
:nono:

Starting afresh and building them would be hugely expensive and I can't believe they would be viable.

They are worth saving. Brighton pier is the most popular attraction in Brighton & Hove. Not sure about Hastings.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
went on bton pier the other week to horatios . . . what a sh it hole , great fun though , prob easy to pull as well . . . .. if your standards are sub

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Timbo said:
The Palace pier, although tacky, has made a fine job of making itself profitable.
Yes, partly by getting people to burn down the West Pier. A fine job indeed.

Dandyman

In London village.
I thought he was in Germany at the moment. :dunce:

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Re: Re: Sussex Pier's

BarrelofFun said:

They are worth saving. Brighton pier is the most popular attraction in Brighton & Hove. Not sure about Hastings.

I think Brightons is the 3rd most visited free tourist attraction in the country.

I don't think the one at Hastings is even the 'best visited thing that sticks out into the sea, between Hastings and St Leonards'.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Piers are part of our heritage and I have no problem in money going to restore them.

When flying back into the country from an overseas holiday you can always spot exactly where you are by which piers you can see out the window.

Hastings pier does have its history, my mum went and watched the Beatles (or it might have been Cliff Richard, I cant remember) on it for one in the early 60's.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Sussex Pier's

Timbo said:
I think Brightons is the 3rd most visited free tourist attraction in the country.

I don't think the one at Hastings is even the 'best visited thing that sticks out into the sea, between Hastings and St Leonards'.

Yes, It gets something like 3.5m visitors a year. Certainly the most popular free attraction in the South East.

Some good websites that I used, if you like piers are www.piers.co.uk
www.westpier.co.uk

ipswichseagull

Aug 11, 2006
British Bulldog said:

Thought's?
By god that was awful grammar

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Worthing won Pier of the Year. Must be worth something? Is it a coincidence that it won after that awful nightclub at the end closed?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
chips and gravy said:
Worthing won Pier of the Year. Must be worth something? Is it a coincidence that it won after that awful nightclub at the end closed?

Pier of the year! Can't say i'm sorry to have seen Rutherfords close - i had some good nights there about 10 years ago but it had outlived it's time.

Wasn't Worthing Pier featured on the Album cover of one of Genes albums back in the 90's?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here