Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex Pier's

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Hastings Pier the venue of many an odlskool Rave up in the early nineties, and a couple of Legendary Renaissance parties. Will be a shame to see it go.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
British Bulldog said:
After all the years of hassle over trying to restore Brightons West Pier I see Hasting Pier is in need of £1m of repairs now.

Should we persist in trying to repair and restore these old Pier's or would it be more ecenomical to knock the thing's down and just build replica's of them?

Thought's?

They must be kept! No doubt about that. They are tourist traps and have knock on effects for the whole resort.

Last edited:

Yoda

English & European
Goring Gull said:
Pier of the year! Can't say i'm sorry to have seen Rutherfords close - i had some good nights there about 10 years ago but it had outlived it's time.

Wasn't Worthing Pier featured on the Album cover of one of Genes albums back in the 90's?

And who can forget that Men Behaving Badly episode. :clap2:

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Whilst on holiday in Santa Monica, I visited the pier. I was amazed to find that it was based on Brighton Pier.

However, only the yanks would build a pier where you drive up it, rather than a gentle stroll. Still, riding the carousel was fun as it the very same one as seen in the film "The Sting"

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Albion Dan said:
Hastings Pier the venue of many an odlskool Rave up in the early nineties, and a couple of Legendary Renaissance parties. Will be a shame to see it go.

Isn't Diggers from round Hastings way?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
The front of the Pier is still open for trading and includes the excellent Gritti Palace pub.

I cannot however see the main body of it opening for MONTHS.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Re: Re: Sussex Pier's

BarrelofFun said:
:ohmy: That is almost exactly the title of my dissertation....

Something along the lines of "British Piers are proof of the illustrious history of the seaside holiday. Is it important to preserve the piers or have they outlived their uses?"

I found in their favour. However some are not worthy of saving...

Walton-on-the-Naze for one....

walton_naze_pier1.jpg
:nono:

Starting afresh and building them would be hugely expensive and I can't believe they would be viable.

They are worth saving. Brighton pier is the most popular attraction in Brighton & Hove. Not sure about Hastings.

I can beat that for terrible-ness, check out Aberystwyth's abomination:

Aberystwyth_Pier.jpg

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Hastings Pier has reached the end of its design life according to engineering experts and would be prone to immediate progressive collapse if too many people went on it.

With a night club planning to stage big events and gigs being lined up Hastings Council could not afford to run the risk.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Palace Pier MUST be the best one in Britain I'd have thought - in terms of size, attractions, pubs etc. Certainly pisses on Blackpools.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here