Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] ***Sussex CCC v Lancashire CCC, T20 Blast 1/4 Final, Hove, 1 October 2020***

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I've been watching Sussex for 55 years and I'm struggling to think of a worse performance than that: maybe when they were bowled out for 49 in a GC semi in 1969, but today was shocking.

It's a pitch that's conducive to spin, as demonstrated by Lancashire and Briggs' figures, so we don't bowl our second spinner. What's the point of playing a bowler and not bowling him? It was a clearly a tricky pitch, one that needed careful watching so we see Salt and Wiese having big heaves after just a few balls.

And I just don't get the selection: apart from the bizarre treatment of Beer, there's the mystery of Bopara, who has done nothing this season. How come we didn't see Wells in the 4-day game because Dizzy wanted to give youth a go and yet Bopara, who's clearly past it, is a selection must. And why play Robinson, who's great in F/C cricket but really hasn't done the business in T20?

Nearly everything about today stank: the selection, the captaincy and the batting. Bring back Robbo and let's get things sorted out.

Maybe a case of a manager Standing by his appointment, in the case of Bopara. It happens in many workplaces. Even yesterday I thought, ‘surely he will come good ’. But he never did. Stunningly bad. And to think he won’t have come cheaP, and didn’t fancy long form. One job. Bopara is the worst Cricket signing ever. What went wrong for such a decorated player? He looked like he cared. You think he’s past it ? Maybe. If It’s a hunger issue, I would compel him to do the decent thing and retire. 1/10. The one for those consecutive sixes. Would have been 0.

Robinson is another strange case - it must have been a chastening T20 campaign for him. I think he will enjoy the challenge of getting it right. He’s a proper Jack with the bat, as well now. 4/10.

You are generous with Delray. He’s still an enigma, for me. We know he has All the talent but you Still wouldn’t rely on him to win you the game. He may become an England regular In the future but I don’t think he’s That much closer after that campaign . 5/10.

Weise. He was never going to sustain his initial form but he got us through the group stages. His bowling has gone downhill though. 7/10.

Garton. Where Delray stood still, George powered on. His career looked Done a year or so ago. Now he’s knocking on the England door , surely. The club gets a lot wrong but they have managed his injury very well. Good judgment by Gillespie to see his all round potential too. 8/10.

Wright. So consistent especially in early part of this campaign but I’m dropping him A point for getting himself out yesterday . He should have done what Callum Macleod did in the previous game - knock off the singles , win the game. 8/10

Salt . Sometimes he comes off, sometimes he doesn’t. He can look like a 12 year old having a giggle, other times a world beater . It won’t be good enough for England. 6/10.

Briggs . He’s mastered the art of intelligent, varied T20 spin bowling. I like his attitude too. I hope he makes a packet playing in Asia and doesn’t waste his time with long form here Or at Warwicks. A massive loss To Sussex. 10/10.

MacCloed . One superb match-winning Innings, one more than Rav. It can’t be easy coming in with one day’s notice tbf. 5/10.

Finch. He lacks the power at 3. 4/10.

Beer. In and out, which didn’t help but has gone backwards this year. Time’s up for Will although it looks like he’s contracted.
Would love to know the inside on why he didn’t get overs yesterday ....injured? Or a wright or Gillespie decision? Maybe there was literally no-one else to make up the eleven, 4/10.

I’d be interested to read your ratings for this year’s T20, folks.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You are generous with Delray. He’s still an enigma, for me. We know he has All the talent but you Still wouldn’t rely on him to win you the game. He may become an England regular In the future but I don’t think he’s That much closer after that campaign . 5/10.

Garton. Where Delray stood still, George powered on. His career looked Done a year or so ago. Now he’s knocking on the England door , surely. The club gets a lot wrong but they have managed his injury very well. Good judgment by Gillespie to see his all round potential too. 8/10.

I think Rawlins is hugely talented. He's still relatively young so he'll have his ups and downs but I'll stick my neck out and say he'll play for England one day.

And you're right about Garton, I completely forgot about him - the boy's done well. He's another the England selectors will have their eye on.

They had a squad of 16, they must have had other people to put in - Thomason should have played if they weren't bowling Beer.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I think Rawlins is hugely talented. He's still relatively young so he'll have his ups and downs but I'll stick my neck out and say he'll play for England one day.

And you're right about Garton, I completely forgot about him - the boy's done well. He's another the England selectors will have their eye on.

They had a squad of 16, they must have had other people to put in - Thomason should have played if they weren't bowling Beer.

When the discussion comes down to beer or thommo , you can see why we’re going home .
As for del - I was disappointed with him this year . His game management is behind where he should be . He should aim higher than people pointing to his obvious talent .

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
A very poor season. How much did the pandemic have to do with it I wonder? It was not normal times for a very young squad. Having said that why we ever signed Bopara beats me. Then there is the Claydon business. Why do Aussies think they can ignore the rules? We are now branded as cheats as well as not very good. Not a good year in anyway.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
As for del - I was disappointed with him this year . His game management is behind where he should be . He should aim higher than people pointing to his obvious talent .

Everyone's game management yesterday was shocking. It was clear that it was a wicket to treat with respect. The approach should have been to play yourselves in and keep the score ticking over with ones but too many people wanted to have a big swing.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Everyone's game management yesterday was shocking. It was clear that it was a wicket to treat with respect. The approach should have been to play yourselves in and keep the score ticking over with ones but too many people wanted to have a big swing.

I feel your frustration but that’s Sussex for you. Can’t be relied on. We can find a way to lose a match from any position - sometimes we win when we shouldn’t ! It’s made for a mostly captivating campaign . yesterday wasnt captivating though , it was just Plain dreadful.
The opportunity was there , eight overs into their innings To destroy them. Once we didn’t I thought it was a 50/50. When salt Departed early I thought we would lose, when Wright was out I turned it off.
On paper we had a far superior team, yet, as you alluded to, our tactics and game management were all over the place. As well as the players, you have to look at the leadership.
HHI said earlier Gillespie is the best coach in the world. I would say a better debate is, is he Sussex’s least effective coach ever? He’s right up there imho.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sussex sending out an email saying "What will 2021 hold" accompanied by a picture of Danny Briggs is really taking the piss

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I feel your frustration but that’s Sussex for you. Can’t be relied on. We can find a way to lose a match from any position - sometimes we win when we shouldn’t ! It’s made for a mostly captivating campaign . yesterday wasnt captivating though , it was just Plain dreadful.
The opportunity was there , eight overs into their innings To destroy them. Once we didn’t I thought it was a 50/50. When salt Departed early I thought we would lose, when Wright was out I turned it off.
On paper we had a far superior team, yet, as you alluded to, our tactics and game management were all over the place. As well as the players, you have to look at the leadership.
HHI said earlier Gillespie is the best coach in the world. I would say a better debate is, is he Sussex’s least effective coach ever? He’s right up there imho.

I still can’t believe HHI thinks he’s the best coach in the world!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A very poor season. How much did the pandemic have to do with it I wonder? It was not normal times for a very young squad. Having said that why we ever signed Bopara beats me. Then there is the Claydon business. Why do Aussies think they can ignore the rules? We are now branded as cheats as well as not very good. Not a good year in anyway.

The pandemic offers a convenient excuse but the truth of the matter is that Sussex have been dreadful in the CC and the 50 over game for bloody ages. All that's happened is that their T 20 game has now joined the other 2 in the basement. The "family" has become a complacent, demotivated and de-skilled nonentity requiring root and branch reform which will not happen under the current regime, sadly.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I think they seem to be lacking in honest communication with their fans.
Why not just make a statement to say that if we want the club to survive we need to get whoever we can off the payroll?

I would imagine the plan is to offload as many people as possible and look at things next March when we can see how much income we have.
Almost all counties must be in similar positions.

Those clubs that are currently signing players must either have great benefactors, guaranteed income from future international matches or are just committing financial suicide.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Shocking. Success will be measured when they get permission to build on the sacred county ground and move HQ to Fulking. Dismal season. Awful. Disgraceful. Embarrassing. Gutless.

Maybe they can borrow money money from Preston club at Fulking

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
He’s signing for Warwicks

First I’ve seen this. Very disappointed. Can see why he wanted away, Sussex resisted playing him in County Championship games.

An opportunity to Carlson, Rawlins and Beer I suppose for all formats, if they stay.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think they seem to be lacking in honest communication with their fans.
Why not just make a statement to say that if we want the club to survive we need to get whoever we can off the payroll?

I agree: better communication is the key to all this

And Gillespie's strategy of concentrating on T20 has reaped no reward - we can't even reach Finals Day. Let's build a side that get us back to Div 1 in the CC and do well in the 50 overs and let T20 take care of itself. If we're cash strapped, we certainly don't need six players who only play T20 (and there'd have been eight if Evans had stayed and we had Khan back).

But our game management throughout this season has been shocking. Didn't we have a first innings lead in four of our five BW matches and won just one of them? That's a sign that's something's badly wrong

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
First I’ve seen this. Very disappointed. Can see why he wanted away, Sussex resisted playing him in County Championship games.

An opportunity to Carlson, Rawlins and Beer I suppose for all formats, if they stay.

We are losing the best T20 spinner, arguably best bowler, in the competition.
No-one coming through at Sussex is anywhere near his class. Not many spinners in the whole world are as good as Briggs.
Also, our t20 golden generation Is breaking up alarmingly quickly.
The whole bloody club is breaking up alarmingly quickly.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here