Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Sussex 2s playing Glamorgan 2s at (my club) Abergavenny today. Looks like a tough game for the Sussex lads currently trailing by 106 runs in their second innings with 6 wickets left. No runs from the two Aber lads but Ben Morris has a couple of wickets on his home pitch. Looks like a young Sussex team.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Sussex 2s playing Glamorgan 2s at (my club) Abergavenny today. Looks like a tough game for the Sussex lads currently trailing by 106 runs in their second innings with 6 wickets left. No runs from the two Aber lads but Ben Morris has a couple of wickets on his home pitch. Looks like a young Sussex team.

A VERY young 2nds team tbh - my lad is with them this week and hes not even 17 yet. He played the first day, but called us yesterday to say the physios suspect he has another stress fracture in his lower back (he had one 2 seasons ago as well), so is out of action until he has had a scan when they get back.
It was supposed to be a 4 day game down there, but I think they'll be home a day early tbh. Charlie Tear did well yesterday getting his century though....& Aiden Drew bowled brilliantly on day one...so a couple of bright spots at least.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A VERY young 2nds team tbh - my lad is with them this week and hes not even 17 yet. He played the first day, but called us yesterday to say the physios suspect he has another stress fracture in his lower back (he had one 2 seasons ago as well), so is out of action until he has had a scan when they get back.
It was supposed to be a 4 day game down there, but I think they'll be home a day early tbh. Charlie Tear did well yesterday getting his century though....& Aiden Drew bowled brilliantly on day one...so a couple of bright spots at least.
Hope Frankie's all right and it's not as bad as feared. I hadn't realised Aiden was part of the Sussex set-up too - that really is a young team.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Hope Frankie's all right and it's not as bad as feared. I hadn't realised Aiden was part of the Sussex set-up too - that really is a young team.
Thanks Max. He says it doesn't feel as uncomfortable as last time, so we are hoping its just a strain. The Sussex physios are very cautious with back injuries though, understandably.
We were surprised to see Aiden involved as well tbh this season after he spent the winter in Australia. Hes not part of the Academy set up, so not sure how its happened - but give him his dues, hes been bowling extremely well when he has played.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Thats a weak 2nd team. Not long ago when they were short they would select players that had been outstanding in Sussex League cricket. It certainly meant clubs and County were much closer. Now clubs are expected to select promising players in 1st team before they are up to it and certainly before they had produced results in clubs 2nd team. Certainly many of players that have now played for County 2nd team have never scored big runs or wickets at club level.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I see we’ve signed another promising young bowler - Chris Wright aged 38 - for all forms. 2 year contract. Didn’t he used to be called Steve Finn?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

I didn't recognize any of the names apart from Foreman, Tear, Hunt and Atkins. Do you know anything about some of the other names?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
All that talk from club over last few years that we should that we should stick with them because they are looking to the future. Maybe when Finn is fit they will be our opening bowlers. Our most promising young players from last season Lenham,Ibrahim and Atkins have hardly played

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I didn't recognize any of the names apart from Foreman, Tear, Hunt and Atkins. Do you know anything about some of the other names?
Only Aiden Drew (who we know from our time at Lewes Priory CC), Lion- Cachet, Hunt, and O'Connor, who are in or around the Sussex set up.
Willis, Mohammed, Herft, and Mead are all complete unknowns....which I find a bit strange considering weve been in the club for 5+ yrs now, & generally know of all the youngsters. Maybe they are from Oxford as we have a partnership with them?

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
All that talk from club over last few years that we should that we should stick with them because they are looking to the future. Maybe when Finn is fit they will be our opening bowlers. Our most promising young players from last season Lenham,Ibrahim and Atkins have hardly played
I cant be 100% sure, but I think I heard Archie and Jamie have been injured most of the year so far? Not sure why Dan has been slow to start this season.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I see we’ve signed another promising young bowler - Chris Wright aged 38 - for all forms. 2 year contract. Didn’t he used to be called Steve Finn?
:ROFLMAO:

A James Milner type signing. I'm not sure why Leicestershire have let him go. He's a quality bowler if he keeps his fitness.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
:ROFLMAO:

A James Milner type signing. I'm not sure why Leicestershire have let him go. He's a quality bowler if he keeps his fitness.
Several players have left Leicestershire this week and it seems they've just lost Paul Nixon as head coach, suggests something kicking off behind the scenes

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Shadab Khan is perplexing.
How has he earned such a positive reputation?
He’s such a limited bowler, lazy fielder and average batsman.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Shadab Khan is perplexing.
How has he earned such a positive reputation?
He’s such a limited bowler, lazy fielder and average batsman.
I put him in the “apparent T20 superstars who I’ve never seen actually do anything of note” camp, along with Kieron Pollard and Glenn Maxwell

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here