Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I guess I’m not up to date with points calculations…why do Sussex only have 21 but the other winners have 22?
I.. think ..it's because we fell shy of 350 in the first innings total.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Pleased we didn't have VAR for some of the odd wide calls today as well as the leg bye (I think) ran when no shot was offered. I need to check with an umpire mate if there has been a rule tweak somewhere. Unless it's just my rotten eyesight (so perhaps I should be on VAR)

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Pleased we didn't have VAR for some of the odd wide calls today as well as the leg bye (I think) ran when no shot was offered. I need to check with an umpire mate if there has been a rule tweak somewhere. Unless it's just my rotten eyesight (so perhaps I should be on VAR)
It was n't a leg bye. The ball didn't touch the batsman so they can run regardless of whether he played a shot or not.

Great win. The Farbrace Era is underway!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
There has been a rule tweak with regards to wides. I just hope it doesn’t stretch to Sunday friendly cricket, or else my teammates and I are in a whole world of trouble.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
not sure whether this is it - it's an October 2022 rule change (did not see the Sussex incident so this may or may not be it)

Law 22.1 – Judging a Wide

In the modern game, batters are, more than ever, moving laterally around the crease before the ball is bowled.

It was felt unfair that a delivery might be called ‘Wide’ if it passes where the batter had stood as the bowler entered his/her delivery stride. Therefore, Law 22.1 has been amended so that a Wide will apply to where the batter is standing, where the striker has stood at any point since the bowler began their run up, and which would also have passed wide of the striker in a normal batting position.

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It was n't a leg bye. The ball didn't touch the batsman so they can run regardless of whether he played a shot or not.

Great win. The Farbrace Era is underway!
Yeah, so I do qualify for a job on VAR...

I didn't get the wide calls though. I couldn't see how Kuhnemann would be bowling deliberately down the legside when Carson was on strike. I think Adrian suggested that they were getting tougher if it was deemed part of the gameplan. But they needed to get Carson out.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
not sure whether this is it - it's an October 2022 rule change (did not see the Sussex incident so this may or may not be it)

Law 22.1 – Judging a Wide

In the modern game, batters are, more than ever, moving laterally around the crease before the ball is bowled.

It was felt unfair that a delivery might be called ‘Wide’ if it passes where the batter had stood as the bowler entered his/her delivery stride. Therefore, Law 22.1 has been amended so that a Wide will apply to where the batter is standing, where the striker has stood at any point since the bowler began their run up, and which would also have passed wide of the striker in a normal batting position.
Well, that's clear and obvious .............................................

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah, so I do qualify for a job on VAR...

I didn't get the wide calls though. I couldn't see how Kuhnemann would be bowling deliberately down the legside when Carson was on strike. I think Adrian suggested that they were getting tougher if it was deemed part of the gameplan. But they needed to get Carson out.
It was a strange tactic, Kuhnemann had been bowling really well up to that point. The only thing that I could think of was that Sussex batters were using their pads a lot, Kuhnemann thought of firing it in a bit quicker at the pads, so that Carson couldn't get his hands out of the way. Of course, it could just have been bad bowling,

That first wide completely changed the atmosphere, there was an immediate feeling of relief - you could sense it in the ground, there was a lot less chirping from Durham. And the second wide was a body blow, at that moment, I sensed that Sussex had it all wrapped up.

Goldstone Guy

Nov 18, 2006
Hove
It was a strange tactic, Kuhnemann had been bowling really well up to that point. The only thing that I could think of was that Sussex batters were using their pads a lot, Kuhnemann thought of firing it in a bit quicker at the pads, so that Carson couldn't get his hands out of the way. Of course, it could just have been bad bowling,

That first wide completely changed the atmosphere, there was an immediate feeling of relief - you could sense it in the ground, there was a lot less chirping from Durham. And the second wide was a body blow, at that moment, I sensed that Sussex had it all wrapped up.
I watched a bit on the youtube commentary and someone thought he was aiming for the patch of rough outside leg stump.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

You may have a point there. I think it was Carson who lobbed a gentle catch to the middle of nowhere when one took off the handle. I thought the calls were a bit harsh. I certainly felt relief when Robinson let that howler through to the sea.

In other thoughts, it's so nice to be back on here discussing bat n ball.

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
Well, that's clear and obvious .............................................

I think they were trying to dry up runs and create tension, which you'd have to say they succeeded in doing and that tactic certainly saw off McAndrew who had a wild yahoo which was exactly what they were trying to encourage. I think, like you do, that Kuhnemann had been bowling well to that point and that they got it wrong but it certainly caused some jitters around the ground and with some of the Sussex batters but not the ice man Oli Carter.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
it certainly caused some jitters around the ground and with some of the Sussex batters but not the ice man Oli Carter.

We need to emphasise what a superb job Carter did. It was a tricky chase: a bit in the pitch, some sea fret that couldn't have helped visibility, a tail to nurture and against two international bowlers (and an old sweat in Carse). He could have easily lost his head like FHP and McAndrew did but he did really well.

He was player of the year for his club in the winter and he seems to have picked up where he left off

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Oli is a great batsman @Gwylan - watched him play up at Horsham for the Academy a couple of years ago and he was smashing it everywhere.
The people using the tennis courts at the far end kept having to duck for cover! :ROFLMAO:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oli is a great batsman @Gwylan - watched him play up at Horsham for the Academy a couple of years ago and he was smashing it everywhere.
The people using the tennis courts at the far end kept having to duck for cover! :ROFLMAO:
I've seen him play for Sussex and he's been a bit of a dasher - good for a quick 20 or 30 - but his innings on Sunday was really class. If he's added concentration to his natural talent, he may be one to watch this year (and it probably doesn't hurt to have Charlie Tear knocking at the door, a bit of competition doesn't hurt)

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Nice interview with Nasher in the latest issue of County Cricket Matters He talks about the great team spirit and the atmosphere at the club between 2004 and 2014 - with the obvious implication that there was a lack of it after that.

I'd like to think we're bouncing back, it's certainly encouraging to hear Ollie say that he wants to play more Championship cricket this year
Oooh, County Cricket Matters. I didn't know about that. I'll have to sub to that. Are you involved there ?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Does anyone here have a So Legal Executive Membership at Sussex ? It looks like it covers entry to all games and use of that area. Is that definitely correct ? I'm thinking of getting one. £390 seems pretty good value for everything all in.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oooh, County Cricket Matters. I didn't know about that. I'll have to sub to that. Are you involved there ?
County Cricket Matters is a great read: the woman who runs it, Annie Chavez, is a wonderful supporter of real county cricket and it always interesting articles in it.

No, I'm not involved but am thinking about it. I have a bit too much real work on at the moment but it's certainly something for the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here