Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC - 2023 Season Edition

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Does anyone here have a So Legal Executive Membership at Sussex ? It looks like it covers entry to all games and use of that area. Is that definitely correct ? I'm thinking of getting one. £390 seems pretty good value for everything all in.
Yes, I have. It covers all County Championship, T20 and 50 over games, is very comfortable with both external and indoor seating, Harveys is on tap a short walk (10 metres!) away as is a food outlet with a good lunchtime menu and teas, coffee etc. It's excellent value imho.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, I have. It covers all County Championship, T20 and 50 over games, is very comfortable with both external and indoor seating, Harveys is on tap a short walk (10 metres!) away as is a food outlet with a good lunchtime menu and teas, coffee etc. It's excellent value imho.
Mmm. So the sort of place I could sit and read a book whilst taking in a bit of cricket and staying warm if it's a bit nippy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Incredibly niche stat but I enjoyed it

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
McAndrew and Robinson - decent opening attack (now that McAndrew has learned to bowl a bit fuller)

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
McAndrew and Robinson - decent opening attack (now that McAndrew has learned to bowl a bit fuller)
I think if Hunt plays he will open bowling. McAndrew would be a good first change. He improved through the first match. It takes a while getting used to the drop at Hove

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Don't know when he's physically here but he's due for Worcestershire 4th May, Leicestershire the following week then just the one game at Hove (Glamorgan).
I don't know if I'm being unreasonable, but I still have issues about having Australians using county teams for an Ashes warm up. If they were fully fledged overseas signings in a summer then I'd be okay, but the Ashes is something special and. as pantomime as the rivalry is, I'm a bit humbug about giving them this opportunity. It's not like Smith needs it anyway.

I remember when Phil Hughes (RIP) did it with Middlesex in 2009 and it seemed rather baffling then. Although he didn't have the best of series.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I don't know if I'm being unreasonable, but I still have issues about having Australians using county teams for an Ashes warm up. If they were fully fledged overseas signings in a summer then I'd be okay, but the Ashes is something special and. as pantomime as the rivalry is, I'm a bit humbug about giving them this opportunity. It's not like Smith needs it anyway.

I remember when Phil Hughes (RIP) did it with Middlesex in 2009 and it seemed rather baffling then. Although he didn't have the best of series.
I'd much rather teams were given an opportunity to prepare for conditions properly than they just turn up and get rolled over on a green top for the first couple of matches.
Of course, that works both ways, and our preparation for the last Ashes series down under was, well non-existent.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think if Hunt plays he will open bowling. McAndrew would be a good first change. He improved through the first match. It takes a while getting used to the drop at Hove
I doubt Hunt will play. Both Crocombe and FHP got a four-for last match, I can't see either of them getting dropped

Jul 20, 2003

At least we haven't got Travis Head for a few games.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd much rather teams were given an opportunity to prepare for conditions properly than they just turn up and get rolled over on a green top for the first couple of matches.
Of course, that works both ways, and our preparation for the last Ashes series down under was, well non-existent.
Well, yes. Take a look at this schedule for Australia in 1981

EDIT- Didn't realise they played a day/night match at Bristol (Whitney played for Gloucs)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

EDIT- Didn't realise they played a day/night match at Bristol (Whitney played for Gloucs)
I always think it's better for any white ball games to be before the tests.
Of course, back then the ODIs would have been played with whites and a red ball, so they may as well have been warm up games anyway.
Apparently that match was for the opening of the Prince of Wales Stadium in Cheltenham [no, me neither :shrug:]. I suspect neither team were terribly invested in the outcome.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I always think it's better for any white ball games to be before the tests.
Of course, back then the ODIs would have been played with whites and a red ball, so they may as well have been warm up games anyway.
Apparently that match was for the opening of the Prince of Wales Stadium in Cheltenham [no, me neither :shrug:]. I suspect neither team were terribly invested in the outcome.
The result rather confirms that as so. Aussies just wanted to go home.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington

Incidentally, I just looked at the Sussex v Australians game from that tour, and noticed we had a T Head behind the stumps for us, which I found vaguely amusing.
Looking Timothy Head up, it turned out that was his last game for us, in which he also scored his only first class half century.
He later (well into his 20s) played for Cambridge Uni, with one of his three first class games coming against Sussex.
There is, to be clear, no point to this, other than to highlight the quirks and coincidences that crop up when you look at old scorecards. And to briefly celebrate a player I'd never heard of, who happens to share a first initial and surname with an overseas player who did really badly for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here