NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Got away with one there

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Got away with one there
I agree. We really should have batted for a couple more overs and given them 10/12 more to get - they'd have still gone for them but would have had to take more risks.

Still unbeaten in the CC though

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Phew….nearly turned a draw into defeat with that declaration.

Re Harmes. He is laughable with names but he can describe the key moments with enthusiasm and a sense of occasion. Some of the junior commentators sounds like they’re reading the shipping forecast when there’s a boundary/wicket.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Fantastic match - I’m sure someone said it would be a bore draw on here last night 🤣

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
You leave him alone. His jovial tones are very appreciated here. He's actually very knowledgeable, but NSC always thinks it can do better.

As regards the declaration, setting a team nearly 400 to win on the last day of the match at 5 an over should always put you in pole position.

The declaration was fine, Sussex response has not been.

In the T20's he didn't know the no-ball rule.

I'm sure he's a nice bloke but his commentary is consistently inaccurate.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
In the T20's he didn't know the no-ball rule.

I'm sure he's a nice bloke but his commentary is consistently inaccurate.
“So in comes Nathan McAndrew for the start of the new over and the ball is flicked away by Ali to deep square leg and collected by Nathan McAndrew “

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Great game. The closeness at the end suggests it was a pretty good declaration
Damn or be damned. Getting ten wickets was always unlikely even with our bolstered attack.
But if we’d killed the game this morning by going on too long, it would have gone down like a sack of potatoes.
There’s no doubt Worcs threw away the win.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I agree. We really should have batted for a couple more overs and given them 10/12 more to get - they'd have still gone for them but would have had to take more risks.

Still unbeaten in the CC though
Although if they had lost a couple of quick wickets while chasing a stiffer target, they'd probably have just shut up shop.
I'd say that if you've finished 4 runs ahead but 2 wickets short of the win, you probably needed to make more time earlier in the game rather than there being anything particularly wrong with the declaration.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Damn or be damned. Getting ten wickets was always unlikely even with our bolstered attack.
But if we’d killed the game this morning by going on too long, it would have gone down like a sack of potatoes.
There’s no doubt Worcs threw away the win.
Two more overs and I think it would have a finely tuned declaration. We got away with it as Worcs cocked it up

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Two more overs and I think it would have a finely tuned declaration. We got away with it as Worcs cocked it up
Finely tuned declarations are only ever known in hindsight, mind.

If only Tony could lend us his machine.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Finely tuned declarations are only ever known in hindsight, mind.

If only Tony could lend us his machine.
There's that Brearley line that he's supposed to have used when somebody criticised a decision - "you never know, the alternative could have been worse".
Needing a higher run rate might have freed the Worcestershire batters up and then they coast to the win.
Or they might have just blocked out the day.
Or maybe we might have won, despite needing to take more wickets than we managed in less time.
All of those are possible and wouldn't be surprising with hindsight.
Looking at the scorecard, what stands out to me is that our first innings was both the smallest and slowest in the match, and 5 people passed 40 in it but nobody got more than 76.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
There's that Brearley line that he's supposed to have used when somebody criticised a decision - "you never know, the alternative could have been worse".
Needing a higher run rate might have freed the Worcestershire batters up and then they coast to the win.
Or they might have just blocked out the day.
Or maybe we might have won, despite needing to take more wickets than we managed in less time.
All of those are possible and wouldn't be surprising with hindsight.
Looking at the scorecard, what stands out to me is that our first innings was both the smallest and slowest in the match, and 5 people passed 40 in it but nobody got more than 76.
I'm reading Brearley's latest book 'Turning the pebbles'. I'm getting lost in psychoanalytical matrix at the moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here