Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
A bit late to this, but what a terrible declaration.

I respect we wanted to try and win the game, but on what evidence did they think we would bowl Middlesex out?

Psychologists call it "magical thinking".

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I respect we wanted to try and win the game, but on what evidence did they think we would bowl Middlesex out?

Step 1 - Ollie Robinson takes some wickets
Step 2 - *TBC*
Step 3 - Victory!

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Declaration was fine especially as they only had 9 fit players . It wasn’t super generous.
We just bowled very very badly .

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Declaration was fine especially as they only had 9 fit players . It wasn’t super generous.
We just bowled very very badly .

Yes they had to score 370 at 5 an over with a batsman down. If you can't bowl at that we are not going to win (m)any games this season

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Yes they had to score 370 at 5 an over with a batsman down. If you can't bowl at that we are not going to win (m)any games this season

A batting wicket with 100s of runs already being scored easily, a short boundary, a soft ball, a weak and unfit bowling attack with the ECB calling the tune, and a spin bowler who hasn’t (let’s say) hit top form. It wasn’t a gamble that didn’t come off, it was shut your eyes, cross your fingers and hope.

We were never going to bowl them out even if we had had a fifth day.

Should have taken the draw, got 8 points and deprived Middx of 8 points.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
A batting wicket with 100s of runs already being scored easily, a short boundary, a soft ball, a weak and unfit bowling attack with the ECB calling the tune, and a spin bowler who hasn’t (let’s say) hit top form. It wasn’t a gamble that didn’t come off, it was shut your eyes, cross your fingers and hope.

We were never going to bowl them out even if we had had a fifth day.

Should have taken the draw, got 8 points and deprived Middx of 8 points.

Easy to say now.
But 370 runs, with two and a bit sessions left, and a batter or two down, seemed a very long way away.
If Robinson had taken six wickets (entirely possible in any county game) then it’s a great decision.
And if Sussex had batted for much longer and taken the draw, no doubt some would have moaned about negativity.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Easy to say now.
But 370 runs, with two and a bit sessions left, and a batter or two down, seemed a very long way away.
If Robinson had taken six wickets (entirely possible in any county game) then it’s a great decision.
And if Sussex had batted for much longer and taken the draw, no doubt some would have moaned about negativity.

I was already beginning to think they batted a bit too long... Sometimes you have to take your hat of to the opposition and see how well they played.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I was already beginning to think they batted a bit too long... Sometimes you have to take your hat off to the opposition and see how well they played.
Well said. When discussing cricket matches post hoc people are often very forgetful about their earlier thoughts and stated opinions...

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Easy to say now.

But when our 2 already tired strike bowlers, Robbo and Garton only bowl 23 overs between them you are asking a lot to take 9 wickets on that wicket..

Anyway. Wooden spoon match this week. Chance of a win

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Cricinfo reporting that Graham Thorpe is 'seriously ill' in hospital.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
But when our 2 already tired strike bowlers, Robbo and Garton only bowl 23 overs between them you are asking a lot to take 9 wickets on that wicket..

Anyway. Wooden spoon match this week. Chance of a win

Without Robinson, I don’t see us taking 20 wickets all season. With him, different story. We will 100% beat Leics if he plays.
Will Crane play? I’d have Archie Lenham over him every time, if he’s available. Crane was arguably the biggest let down against Middlesex.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s a shame that with the way the wickets have been prepared this season all but the best and most experienced leggies will be lambs to the slaughter. Hopefully ECB will allow Robbo more overs this week

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Easy to say now.

I was already beginning to think they batted a bit too long... Sometimes you have to take your hat of to the opposition and see how well they played.
Easy with hindsight, of course - and very easy to claim what you were thinking at the time - but I was genuinely a little unimressed with the declaration at the time. With the wicket so placid and runs so easy to come by, I felt we should have gone on a bit further to set them a target of 400, maybe even a few more (but not many). There is something daunting in having to chase 400, especially if you need to score it at limited overs speed.

Fine margins, of course - although ultimately the result was anything but.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Easy with hindsight, of course - and very easy to claim what you were thinking at the time - but I was genuinely a little unimressed with the declaration at the time. With the wicket so placid and runs so easy to come by, I felt we should have gone on a bit further to set them a target of 400, maybe even a few more (but not many). There is something daunting in having to chase 400, especially if you need to score it at limited overs speed.

Fine margins, of course - although ultimately the result was anything but.

They’d have got 400. They might have got 450!

Jul 20, 2003
Without Robinson, I don’t see us taking 20 wickets all season. With him, different story. We will 100% beat Leics if he plays.
Will Crane play? I’d have Archie Lenham over him every time, if he’s available. Crane was arguably the biggest let down against Middlesex.

Lenham in Crane out.

Robinson plays again.

100% you say ... For some reason I'm not as confident.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here