Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Suspicious Minds re McAlpine!

Nov 3, 2003
what (if anything) is Perry making anything out of his connections
with McAlpine- who just happen to have got the contract for the job, despite the fact they are known to be the dearest going allegedly (!), and from what i hear from someone who used to work for them they are very dodgy to say the least (allegedly !!!) !!??

Also there was a thing the other day about the new Wembley and how its gonna be dearest stadium so far in Britain and the 'cost per seat' has doubled from 4,000 quid to over 8,000 !!!

According to my calculations Falmer will be about 2k per seat which makes it one of the dearest so far !!!

For example Sunderland 48,000 seats cost about 25 mill as did Southampton i think for 32,000 seats !!!

BHA gonna spend more money than anyone and get smaller ground than anyone !!! Well done DK & MP !!!

Ok u aint gonna belive it but this was emailled to me by an ex -regular on here now banned from work using NSC and it has got me thinking liek in the olkd Clough days the bungs that go around in the game, does anyone else think its possible this might be happening with McAlphine? Its hard to imagine the costs will do anuything but spiral building Falmer as said before i think the decision will be a yes but thats not the hurdle building it will be and getting hold of the money and keeping conytrol and having control sufficiently over the gound

Nov 3, 2003
i cant help feeling all the eggs are in one basket its a risky gamblers outtake on the situation Falmer or bust. Yet even with a YES its still years away and finding the spiralling cost to build it! Costs are sky high and so much rests on it. IMHO at least 2 options shouldve been tabled and i will be amazed if there is no plan B

Avoiding the temptation to respond with a curt two words ...

Falmer is a very expensive stadium because:-

(1) the costs include a substantial contribution towards relocating the Brighton University buildings that need to be demolished

(2) the costs include major highway works to provide improved access to the University of Sussex car parks

(3) the costs include the excavation and removal of massive amounts of chalk to minimise the effects on the nearby AONB

The stadium itself is only part of the story.

Having said that, I'll get those two words off my chest.

f*** off.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Where is all the excavated chalk going to go?

:rolleyes:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Some planning bits (1 & 3) of the stadium are just plain daft (because of the extra cost), but don't tell Prescott!

At the risk of causing "ire" (or worst) some supporters have completely lost sight of the obvious!

Actually, it can pretty well be guaranteed that some things will stare them (Prescott & Co.) right in the face. They have seen plans before.

If Falmer fails it will NOT be because of the NIMBYs but because the plan is not any good!

It was not because FALMER is bad but because the politicians insisted on VWN instead of VWS.

Even so, still SUPPORT the campaign for a new stadium.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Who says McAlpine have got the job ? Thats the first I'd heard of it.
I thought the legal position was that you cannot put a building job out to tender until or unless planning permission has been granted. Only then can you get the quotes, as it were, and decide which building contractor will get the job. Not that I'd have a problem with McAlpines. They seem to be a large, reputable business with a track record of building advanced, modern stadia.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
perseus said:
Where is all the excavated chalk going to go?

:rolleyes:

It will be scooped up using a fleet of giant trucks and dumped into Falmer pond (after carefully removing ducks to Stanmer Park).

Any remaining chalk will be parked outsite the village itself so that the locals may use it to construct another Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Easy 10 said:
I thought the legal position was that you cannot put a building job out to tender until or unless planning permission has been granted. Only then can you get the quotes, as it were, and decide which building contractor will get the job.

There is nothing to stop a job being tendered "at risk" before the planning approval is granted. It's just that the Contractors invited to tender will take it a lot more seriously (and thus sharpen their pencils more) if the project is a guaranteed goer.

I very much doubt that McAlpines have "got the job" as yet, but they would obviously be under consideration, as they have the relevant experience.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Somebody may just ask, would it not be easier instead of paying Penfold to transport lorry loads of chalk down the A27 to Pende, it might be easier to redirect the prefabricated stadium components to Pende and let Brighton University pay for their own damn buildings?

(Too late for the Public Inquiry :lolol: )

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
For example Sunderland 48,000 seats cost about 25 mill as did Southampton i think for 32,000 seats !!!

Both grounds built on former industrial ground (brown field sites) hence the land is a f*****g sight cheaper.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
About ****** time we had a Regeneration Plan. GOHSE have identified the whole coastal urban strip as a regeneration area, and the household incomes are below the national average. You would never think it though with the house prices, beer prices and the ticket prices.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here