Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Surely we must have some decent free kick takers in this squad?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If we are not going to score, smashing a defender in the face with the ball is acceptable.
Dunk has a long way to go to miss as many as Ronaldo has for Portugal. 1 in 60 conversion rate.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Oh yeah, you know, its difficult. Sarcasm is an endemic feature of the British islands and doesn't exist elsewhere, so its a bit of a struggle understanding what is what.

I better learn a little bit then, right?

Dictionary:

sarcasm
noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"she didn't like the note of sarcasm in his voice"

Great. All very alien to me of course so I'm going to have to look up the word "irony".

irony
noun

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Ah. Finally I'm understanding this concept!
As you say, its a little difficult for me as non-English to read the difference between people being genuinely annoyed. Hence believing that one or two of the posts below actually expressed a real annoyance with Dunk taking the free kick. Its my bad not realising they actually can't wait to see Dunk take another last minute free kick outside the penalty box.

Again.
It's embarrassing.
Absolutely f***ing excruciating.
Has the bloke got no self awareness at all?

I hope you're benevolent (benevolency was introduced here in 2004 so we foreigners know about that concept at least) enough to see past this cultural misunderstanding and I apologise to the people of Britain for not understanding that all of you.

I'll be better. Once I've had a cold burger while listening to "Freed from Desire" sober at a library in a rural Brighton suburb, my intellectual and cultural capacity will be through the roof, hopefully making me capable of understanding when someone express irony and when someone is genuinely annoyed.

[/QUOTE]
In the words of Frankie Howard. Infamy, infamy. They’ve all got it infamy.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Oh yeah, you know, its difficult. Sarcasm is an endemic feature of the British islands and doesn't exist elsewhere, so its a bit of a struggle understanding what is what.

I better learn a little bit then, right?

Dictionary:

sarcasm
noun

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"she didn't like the note of sarcasm in his voice"

Great. All very alien to me of course so I'm going to have to look up the word "irony".

irony
noun

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.

Ah. Finally I'm understanding this concept!
As you say, its a little difficult for me as non-English to read the difference between people being genuinely annoyed. Hence believing that one or two of the posts below actually expressed a real annoyance with Dunk taking the free kick. Its my bad not realising they actually can't wait to see Dunk take another last minute free kick outside the penalty box.

Again.
It's embarrassing.
Absolutely f***ing excruciating.
Has the bloke got no self awareness at all?
I hope you're benevolent (benevolency was introduced here in 2004 so we foreigners know about that concept at least) enough to see past this cultural misunderstanding and I apologise to the people of Britain for not understanding that all of you.

I'll be better. Once I've had a cold burger while listening to "Freed from Desire" sober at a library in a rural Brighton suburb, my intellectual and cultural capacity will be through the roof, hopefully making me capable of understanding when someone express irony and when someone is genuinely annoyed.

1. I've read absolutely none of that, just quickly scanned down. That must have taken you ages, so sorry and all that.

2. From that scan, I think you've completley ignored my main point: you don't understand what it's like to be a Brighton supporter. Sorry about that too.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Anyone notice the Bournemouth free kick in the 2nd half yesterday? I would hardly think it was on the drawing board for hours but it was different and nearly paid off.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
As much as l like Dunky, my heart sinks every time he lines up a free kick just outside the area.

Obviously we've all been through this before, but It's got to stop. As a senior player and captain, he should have the maturity to just get away from them, rather than going 'nah this one's going in I can feel it' before aimlessly booting it into the oppo teams' shins. Even if he does eventually score one, which I highly doubt he will, he is well in debt with the amount of opportunities he's squandered by twatting free kicks into the wall.

If Welbeck's on the pitch, he should take them. Took a good one against Everton at home last season which hit the bar (I think) and I'm sure he took a half-decent one against United? Or maybe Villarreal? My memory isn't what is used to be. I find it hard to believe Mitoma, Perv, Adingra, Joao Pedro, maybe even Hinsh, wouldn't make a better fist of it tbh. I think Bart bloody would as well, but there you go.

That bloody one he scored at Anfield years ago when Adrian wasn't paying attention is to blame for this shit 😡

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Obviously we've all been through this before, but It's got to stop. As a senior player and captain, he should have the maturity to just get away from them, rather than going 'nah this one's going in I can feel it' before aimlessly booting it into the oppo teams' shins. Even if he does eventually score one, which I highly doubt he will, he is well in debt with the amount of opportunities he's squandered by twatting free kicks into the wall.

If Welbeck's on the pitch, he should take them. Took a good one against Everton at home last season which hit the bar (I think) and I'm sure he took a half-decent one against United? Or maybe Villarreal? My memory isn't what is used to be. I find it hard to believe Mitoma, Perv, Adingra, Joao Pedro, maybe even Hinsh, wouldn't make a better fist of it tbh. I think Bart bloody would as well, but there you go.

That bloody one he scored at Anfield years ago when Adrian wasn't paying attention is to blame for this shit 😡
He has scored one. Two actually, on Anfield and against WBA - with the latter wrongly ruled out.

So he's scored 2 goals from 21 attempts, which gives him a better average than Trent-Alexander Arnold :shrug:

On average these days, teams score 2 free kick goals per season. Its really incredibly silly to be upset about someone missing one every ten games. It's like moaning about a player not scoring enough bicicleta goals.

Free kick shots are generally really shit. Its a shoot from outside the box with four or five players lining up to block it. If you take that shot in open play you're usually an idiot. That you're given time to take that shot doesn't make up for the increased difficulty of it.

Last edited:

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Considering Welbeck has come much closer than anybody else has for a long time with his effort last week, I suggest sticking with him.
Yes that was a nice one and he's full of confidence. Unlucky he had been subbed out by the time of Dunk's free kick last week, think he'd have taken it otherwise as is usually the case if you were close with your first. And I don't remember the exact numbers but players are a lot more likely to score with their second or third free kick attempt in a game than with their first. Some sort of psychological calibration I guess.

Think we have a lot of good options and Dunk is one of them. He's really good at shooting so I don't see why he shouldn't take free kick shots every now and then.

Jimmy Grimble

Nov 10, 2007
Starting a revolution from my bed
I find it odd that people genuinely believe Dunk is just throwing his weight around as captain and simply putting himself in charge of free kicks. This isn’t Sunday League ffs!

At a club run as professionally as ours, with a heavily backed statistics/data model, I’m 99% certain that in whatever drills that go on in training, Dunk comes out on top.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I find it odd that people genuinely believe Dunk is just throwing his weight around as captain and simply putting himself in charge of free kicks. This isn’t Sunday League ffs!

At a club run as professionally as ours, with a heavily backed statistics/data model, I’m 99% certain that in whatever drills that go on in training, Dunk comes out on top.
Then the others must be seriously sh1t in training, as Dunk's freekicks in the game have generally been HOPELESS.

One grazed the bar I think last season and that has been it. Knuckle-ball bollocks, just let Danny curl one in

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He has scored one. Two actually, on Anfield and against WBA - with the latter wrongly ruled out.

So he's scored 2 goals from 21 attempts, which gives him a better average than Trent-Alexander Arnold :shrug:

On average these days, teams score 2 free kick goals per season. Its really incredibly silly to be upset about someone missing one every ten games. It's like moaning about a player not scoring enough bicicleta goals.

Free kick shots are generally really shit. Its a shoot from outside the box with four or five players lining up to block it. If you take that shot in open play you're usually an idiot. That you're given time to take that shot doesn't make up for the increased difficulty of it.
All of this. The number of players in world football that can reliably be expected to genuinely threaten the goal once in three of four attempts over the past 30 years can probably be counted on your ten fingers.

I suspect Dunk is no better or worse than the options pretty much nearly every other club in the league has. Do you think Palace always look threatening from a 25 yard free kick? Or any other "other 14" club?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
All of this. The number of players in world football that can reliably be expected to genuinely threaten the goal once in three of four attempts over the past 30 years can probably be counted on your ten fingers.

I suspect Dunk is no better or worse than the options pretty much nearly every other club in the league has. Do you think Palace always look threatening from a 25 yard free kick? Or any other "other 14" club?
Unfortunately one of the f*ckers is playing against us today :facepalm:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough

Yeah it should've been given, but it wasn't, so it's one. And that was one down to ridiculous goalkeeping.

You don't have to score directly from free kicks, you can swing a ball into the box or play it short instead of booting it into the wall and leaving us open to a counter... I'm not 'upset', though it was annoying seeing him step up when we needed a goal last week, he's just not very good at taking free kicks :shrug:

Maybe I'm manifesting him smacking one in today, I'll happily take it if so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here