Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Surely We Must be Able to Sign A Better Midfielder Than El-Abd

bobbyzam

Jul 5, 2006
London
Always been a big fan of El-Abd. Hard as GIRDERS. Having said that, he seemed more effective in the Championship when he was just out the youth team. Seems to have regressed slightly in the lower division. No idea why. Seems a bit more of a con-artist nowadays than he ever was before. Still a big fan, mind. Good man to have in the trenches, and may yet grow into the new Danny Cullip. At the very least, we'll need him when Butters is no longer there. Cos the rest of the defence/midfield are SOFTEES in comparison.

Adam El-Abd
He's not bad! :thumbsup:

Completley disagree with that, looking like you a thug doesn't actually make you one. Cullip backed it up by constantly winning 50/50's being a half decent footballer and inspiring confidence is other players. El-Abd doesn't really have much of a presense on the pitch

Was also thinking after Elphick had such a good game a center back at Cardiff, how about using Lynch's fantastic strength and composure on the ball in the center of midfield alongside Hammond

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Completley disagree with that, looking like you a thug doesn't actually make you one. Cullip backed it up by constantly winning 50/50's being a half decent footballer and inspiring confidence is other players. El-Abd doesn't really have much of a presense on the pitch

Agree. But hoping that El-Abd grows into being the ENFORCER we so dearly need. Reckon he's in with a shout yet.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I know he's doing really well. But he has neither the TUFFNESS of El-Abd, nor the, er, BUTT of Butts.

Need a big clogger in there to command things. Can't see T.Elphick fulfuilling that role, now or anytime in the future. No disrespect to the lad in any shape or form, but that's not what he's about.
Was Paul McShane a big clogger? No, he had the skill instead to play the ball out of danger.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah that's what we need. None of this playing football nonsense. What we want is big blokes who can hoof the ball from one end of the pitch to the other:lolol:

Well seeing as how this is a MIDFIELD thread, I still reckon we need a ball-winner. Doesn't have to be pretty, or even a good footballer. Just has to impose his will in midfield. There would be people around him like Paul reid who could do the footballing nonsense. Basically we need a heavyweight version of Charlie Oatway, with a tad more skill on the ball. Reckon El-Abd could still be that player.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Well seeing as how this is a MIDFIELD thread, I still reckon we need a ball-winner. Doesn't have to be pretty, or even a good footballer. Just has to impose his will in midfield. There would be people around him like Paul reid who could do the footballing nonsense. Basically we need a heavyweight version of Charlie Oatway, with a tad more skill on the ball. Reckon El-Abd could still be that player.

The problem with El Abd is that he does get stuck in but doesn't always time his tackles well and gives away free kicks getting booked into the bargain.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The problem with El Abd is that he does get stuck in but doesn't always time his tackles well and gives away free kicks getting booked into the bargain.

I don't think that should necessarily be a problem. See Virgo and Hammond. If anything it breaks up play and gives us a chance to regroup.

shame Ward went back to QPR or Australia he was different class when he came off the bench or started, would create so many goals for us !

I would be tempted to agree. Although he did sometimes go a bit too far and waste possession (Rob Thomas - but better). He did cause some panic in the opponents half, which can only be beneficial.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
shame Ward went back to QPR or Australia he was different class when he came off the bench or started, would create so many goals for us !

Like he did last year? Ward was terrible IMO. Couldn't keep the ball at all. For every goal he created he would cost us 2 or 3 more

saltash seagull

Mar 1, 2004
cornwall
Read your first line and thats enough to say you talk shit.
Hammond needs to go forward not sit back
listen tosser just cos my opinion is different to yours dont mean i talk shit

the problem is hammond dont go forward he just sits

had chances to push on at cardiff and didnt

he is ok from set pieces but doesnt push forward enough like he did against chester when he made a couple of decent runs but he aint done it once in the last 2 games

so unless he can work on that we need someone else in there

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't think that should necessarily be a problem. See Virgo and Hammond. If anything it breaks up play and gives us a chance to regroup.

Once El Abd is booked he tends to quieten down so that he doesn't get sent off although having said that, he was the one who conceded the free kick that eventually led to Cardiff's goal on Tuesday night (via a corner after Hammond headed out the free kick)

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
El Abd's not a midfileder and when he plays there he looks like a defender trying to fit in....

Who can we get in?

Bertin's free still........ooops

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005

he is ok from set pieces but doesnt push forward enough like he did against chester when he made a couple of decent runs but he aint done it once in the last 2 games

That is spot on.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I do think Hammond goes missing though and this contributes to El-Abd charging around trying to do to much and making mistakes.

He did on Tuesday night (Hammond) a few times until extra time. It was El Abd who made the mistake that gave away the free kick leading to the goal.

I'm not really sure what you're saying there Yorkie. Are you suggesting that Hammond does go missing? That if he does he's not partially responsible if El-Abd makes mistakes? That Hammond doesn't go missing and El-Abd still makes mistakes?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I know he's doing really well. But he has neither the TUFFNESS of El-Abd, nor the, er, BUTT of Butts.

Need a big clogger in there to command things. Can't see T.Elphick fulfuilling that role, now or anytime in the future. No disrespect to the lad in any shape or form, but that's not what he's about.
I disagree, he was a very commanding presence from what I saw in the yoof and reserves, he may not have it in the first team yet but in time I think he will. Also, it's not much use begin 'tough' if you cost goals, which El-Abd often does at centreback. I think at best he is a utility player, ok cover for rightback, defensive midfield, and centreback, but not really good enough to hold down any place permanently.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
shame Ward went back to QPR or Australia he was different class when he came off the bench or started !

Pity it was 3rd class though, the man was a waste of a shirt.

El-Abd will grow into his role . He,s only there as a spoiler ,it's a job he appears to enjoy & if you look at the 1st part of last season ,one he's more than capable of performing.Dont forget the entire team were off the pace after xmas ,we all know very few showed their best for the last 3 -4 months so let El-Abd along with everybody else start with a clean sheet & have a chance to prove worthy of a place in the side.

Or is he going to be this years Henderson?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood

Maybe the reason he's not going forward enough is that he hasn't got the confidence in El-Abd behind him. This is why Bertin was so vital to our midfield. At Orient last season he was immense and probably didn't cross the halfway line once, meaning Hammond had the licence to push on. Unfortunatley, until we get a suitable replacement, El-Abd is probably the best we've got at doing this job (and trust me, I'm not overly happy about this). Playing Deano in this role is certainly not the option.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here