Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supporters' facilities at F...sorry, our new stadium

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
We need to start discussing this while the plans are taking shape, after all, consultations with the fans will need to be happening soon, won't they, Mr. Perry?!
To start the ball rolling here are a few of mine.

- Our fans’ bar (The Goldstone Bar?) in the North Stand, capacity as big as possible. Kept separate from the general beer/catering stadium franchise so we can truly make it our own. Proper pub sign, pub style interior with some episodes from our struggle adorning the walls. Run autonomously by the fans for the fans, open 7 days a week with loads of really good beer/music some nights/quizzes etc, constant source of revenue for the club, pub/meeting place for fans on match days and at other times plus for stadium workers, local students etc (and once it’s in the Good Beer Guide for real ale football lovers from all over the country!) Personally I'd like The Dark Star Brewing Company to run this….they have backed us for years as you know, they are real Albion fans, and they produce the best beer on the planet. And yes, of course there would be plenty of other stuff apart from real ale!

- Tickets available at the stadium on matchday for everyone if capacity permits, no hassles, no pre booking. This is football, not opera!

- Good, locally sourced food.

- A part of the ground given over to the kind of seating which could become a terrace (see Borussia Dortmund etc) if as seems increasingly likely we get the go ahead from Government/UEFA again. We want our grounds back and BHAFC could pioneer this …I know this is one for the future but we need to think about it now. Although the powers would be would rather we didn't. But to reiterate again, if I need to, I don't toe anyone's party line. I just support the Albion.
A

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
We need to start discussing this while the plans are taking shape, after all, consultations with the fans will need to be happening soon, won't they, Mr. Perry?!

- Our fans’ bar (The Goldstone Bar?) in the North Stand, capacity as big as possible. Kept separate from the general beer/catering stadium franchise so we can truly make it our own. Proper pub sign, pub style interior with some episodes from our struggle adorning the walls. Run autonomously by the fans for the fans, open 7 days a week with loads of really good beer/music some nights/quizzes etc, constant source of revenue for the club, pub/meeting place for fans on match days and at other times plus for stadium workers, local students etc (and once it’s in the Good Beer Guide for real ale football lovers from all over the country!) Personally I'd like The Dark Star Brewing Company to run this….they have backed us for years as you know, they are real Albion fans, and they produce the best beer on the planet. And yes, of course there would be plenty of other stuff apart from real ale!

- Tickets available at the stadium on matchday for everyone if capacity permits, no hassles, no pre booking. This is football, not opera!

- A part of the ground given over to the kind of seating which could become a terrace (see Borussia Dortmund etc) if as seems increasingly likely we get the go ahead from Government/UEFA again. We want our grounds back and BHAFC could pioneer this …I know this is one for the future but we need to think about it now. Although the powers would be would rather we didn't. But to reiterate again, if I need to, I don't toe anyone's party line. I just support the Albion.
A
Just about summed up everything I would want from the new ground especially the seat/standing thing
You're right we need to start the ball rolling before the plans are finalised otherwise it will be too late

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
UEFA have at least said 'they will look at the idea of standing at grounds...'. Not hopeful, but at least they acknowledge fans want to stand.

Largely agree with most of that, John. It's easier to list what we don't want - a plastic stadium serving piss-weak corporate lager, shitty burgers at extorionate rates than were processed and bagged by an emasculated ex-miner from Jarrow, and Phil Collins or Eurogay disco over the tannoy.

I would be prepared to pay that little bit more if I knew that the food was locally sourced, properly prepared (any fucker can take a pie out of a wrapper at bung it in the microwave - nein danke) and tasting of what it's supposed to taste of. Agree about Dark Star, but would also be perfectly happy with Harvey's or Fuller's.

I am happy to blindly (and drunkenly) hand my money over if I knew it was helping the club AND the local economy.

A

Excellent stuff - trouble with this ticketing proposal though is that it's prohibited by the planning consent. Unfortunate but that's the way it is.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Would think including a pub in the ground would mean changing the design / plans, so if it is not included already, it is unlikely to be a starter.

which apparently it is not

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
which apparently it is not

As I am guessing that the club will say the bars in the stand will be adequate.

Regarding ticketing, they have already said you will not be able to buy them at the ground on the day, but should be able to get them at points such as the stations on the day. There is also some talk of 'smart ticketing' where a code will be sent to your mobile, which will get you entry to the stadium.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Circa 70 games left at Withdean, if all goes to plan! (touch wood)

It would be nice to have an attractive concourse and perhaps follow the lead of Lords and have banners/murals of Albion greats/achievements. There should certainly be a montage of photos of the struggle to get the stadium...

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Would be nice to see the catering supplied by locally souced people, from local sourced goods, although in the dead of winter all that salad we love to eat at the football would be hard to find ;) But local beef for burgers, and local ale would be a start! Problem is the cost might be prohibitive....

and in keeping with my green theme - would love to see more recycling bins for cans, plastic pint glasses and burgers served in compostable containers...

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I was thinking that the farm shop opposite would make tons of money in catering if they thought about it. They could put a cafe bit on the end of the shop, and do fresh fried egg sandwiches / sausages etc. It would be really good to have something that close to the ground!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I was thinking that the farm shop opposite would make tons of money in catering if they thought about it. They could put a cafe bit on the end of the shop, and do fresh fried egg sandwiches / sausages etc. It would be really good to have something that close to the ground!

and then everyone could buy some bread to feed the ducks and it would be lovely

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it would be excellent if they put a little more thought into the bars than the usuall standing only get it and neck it affairs at modern stadium. Theres no reason they cant arrange some wooden/recyc-plastic benches a la german beer hall (its not a pub, so no need to replicate completly). It will be great to have a ambience that encourages fans to go to the ground an hour or so before the game to get a couple of good beers and a decent burger.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Sounds lovely! a little bit of Middle Earth in Falmer.

Truth is that in order to generate the kind if revenue needed, Albion will need to cater to the corpoate boys selling their Lager and chips.

Frankly, your plan could have been instigated at Withers, if there was any money in it, No chance.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
the doncaster bar looked pretty good, although we didnt go in it

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham

A

I think the idea of a fan's pub is idealistic and unrealistic. How many fans want to go to the wilds of Falmer seven nights a week when there are plenty of great pubs in Brighton? Also why should a pub raise money for the fans? I think all the income from the stadium needs to go to the club as a whole, no ring fencing. If the fans have a particular need or want - it should be put to the club and weighed up against all other priorities. And the idea of a football stadium pub getting into the good beer guide seems a little far fetched. I suspect most alcohol drunk before matches is lager or the cheapest available beer - certainly is with the bunch of guys I go with - I'm the only one of 6 who enjoys a good real ale.
I applaud the idea of trying to get away from the ghastly stand bars - but I don't think this would work. So I'm not being negative, I'll have a think and try to come up with a better idea. :)
I agree on tickets and food - but also fear the standing section will not be allowed to happen.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
and i doubt very much that students would go to a bar at the stadium when there own bars on campus are likely to be RIDICULOUSLY cheap

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I think the idea of a fan's pub is idealistic and unrealistic. How many fans want to go to the wilds of Falmer seven nights a week when there are plenty of great pubs in Brighton? Also why should a pub raise money for the fans? I think all the income from the stadium needs to go to the club as a whole, no ring fencing. If the fans have a particular need or want - it should be put to the club and weighed up against all other priorities. And the idea of a football stadium pub getting into the good beer guide seems a little far fetched. I suspect most alcohol drunk before matches is lager or the cheapest available beer - certainly is with the bunch of guys I go with - I'm the only one of 6 who enjoys a good real ale.
I applaud the idea of trying to get away from the ghastly stand bars - but I don't think this would work. So I'm not being negative, I'll have a think and try to come up with a better idea. :)
I agree on tickets and food - but also fear the standing section will not be allowed to happen.

Word.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here