Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Support your local/independent shop

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Well said TLO. However, I hope the quality of Ravens' goods has improved. When I used to walk past there on the way to school about ten years ago, their produce was unfailingly horrid!

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Dies Irae said:
personally, this weekend we bought....

kenyan beans
Guatemalan Broccoli
English potatoes ( Jersey anyway)
South African Asparagus
Australian Wine,
Turkish Cherries
Israeli Oranges
French Apples

I think the plastic carrier bag was made in Tillbury:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:
You dirty f***ing smelly old hippie. :tosser:

NEVER TRUST A HIPPIE.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Large One said:
A trip to Fiveways on the No.46 bus now and again might be in order then. :)

But people shouldn't have to take a 20 min bus ride to go to a greengrocer ... that's just wrong.

D

Deleted member 2719

Blimey TLO we now have two things in common The Albion and the desire to think of the bigger picture of destroying our local stores, garages and farm shops.

I hate Tesco and Asda with a passion let's all save a few bob and F*ck everyone else and eat food packed full of crap and poisons, then let the likes of these big monopolising companies take the piss out of us all and get richer for it!

We may not all be able to spend all our money with local companies but i think we all should be doing our best to help our local businesses out and give as little as possible to the giants.

Tesco's i won't use your bank - i won't use your insurance- i won't buy your crappy internet phones and i would love to see you make a massive loss next year and local companies make some profits.

Save our communitys and think of the bigger picture.

Great Thread TLO.

:clap: :clap:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Mouldy. Do you shop at the farm stores in that little covered market, in Chi? Some good stuff there and reasonably priced. I do enjoy the Chichester market when it is on. Lovely stuff!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
TLO, have you noticed Ravens seem to only employ women?

:lolol:

not that I care... their malt loaves hit the spot

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Dies Irae said:
This is a very difficult one for the tree hugger brigade, because on the one hand its great to support your local produce man, however, if we all stopped buying supernarked fruit and veg, the third world would be even more impoverished.

kenyan beans
Guatemalan Broccoli
South African Asparagus
Australian Wine,
Turkish Cherries
Israeli Oranges
French Apples

That reminded me of an article in the observer. A journalist went for a meal and worked out his food had travelled 18,000 miles....

Shocking!

Dies Irae said:
This is a very difficult one for the tree hugger brigade, because on the one hand its great to support your local produce man, however, if we all stopped buying supernarked fruit and veg, the third world would be even more impoverished.

kenyan beans
In what way does buying Kenyan beans "help the third world"?

Kenya has a shortage of beans available locally and has to spend millions of dollars importing beans from abroad. If the beneficiaries of the export market were local people, there might be an argument for buying Kenyan beans in UK supermarkets. But there is precious little evidence that this is in fact the case.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lord Bracknell said:
In what way does buying Kenyan beans "help the third world"?

Kenya has a shortage of beans available locally and has to spend millions of dollars importing beans from abroad. If the beneficiaries of the export market were local people, there might be an argument for buying Kenyan beans in UK supermarkets. But there is precious little evidence that this is in fact the case.

Plus, bean farmland could be used for crops to feed the Kenyans. Industry in Africa does not produce a knock on effect. It takes money out of the system.

On the flip side, somewhere like Malawi relies on tabacco to provide jobs. Without tabocco they would be poorer than their current position of the 8th poorest nation.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
BarrelofFun said:
Plus, bean farmland could be used for crops to feed the Kenyans. Industry in Africa does not produce a knock on effect. It takes money out of the system.

On the flip side, somewhere like Malawi relies on tabacco to provide jobs. Without tabocco they would be poorer than their current position of the 8th poorest nation.

same with nigeria and gold, oh and ebay scams!

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Yep. We get a delivery of local produce from the farm too.. the vension burgers are lovely as too are the veggies.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Gwylan said:

The grouse I do have is that I have to hop on my bike to do this, there are no greengrocers or bakers within two miles of Coldean. I remember when all estates had local shops - there were two greengrocers in Moulsecoomb when I was growing up there.

I remember when there used to be a butchers in Coldean on the row of shops in upper coldean next to the Happy Shopper and Sams newsagent (not the one down the road with the chipshop) very nice guy used to own it. Now it is some Council building with offices inside :(
And the greengrocers next to the hairdressers, now a car shop thing, used to be a sunbed place but got set alight by chavs. The greengrocer guy was wicked, we brought one of our cats of him aswell before he moved.
Now Coldean has nothing but a couple of shops and a chipshop which is normally full of Moulscoombe chavs. oh how its changed :(

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
Now lets et it straight here, local does not mean better quality, necesarilly.

I used to buy my meat locally till I saw how it was moved and I stopped immediately.

Local shops are not open to fit in with my hours I spend 12 hours a day as an operations controller for errrrrr......... Sainsbury's so I need shops open after 8pm. (I can't shop after a night shift so no point being open in the morning.)

Local shops often do theselves no good, they often don't take cards so I would have to have wads of cash on me all the time and not have it in the bank earning me interest.

I recently wanted to make a big purchase in a local shop in Sheringham (my second home is Sheringham and those who follow the woes of Tesco they will know the significance of this little seaside town in Norfolk.) but they did not take cards, they wanted 3 cheques as the guarentee went only to £100 or cash, but my bank only allow withdraws up to £200 (it was £220)

They were told they could keep the item till the cheque cleared, they know my fience who works in another local shop but still no joy.

This local shop lost that sale and lots more as I liked a lot of what was in that shop.

Not all supermarkets are bad and just cos its local does not make it good.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
timco said:

Local shops are not open to fit in with my hours I spend 12 hours a day as an operations controller for errrrrr......... Sainsbury's so I need shops open after 8pm. (I can't shop after a night shift so no point being open in the morning.)

That's a fair point. Local shops did themselves with no favours with their attitude to customers and opening hours designed to suit the owner rather than the punters.

You still see this in Brighton, BTW. The traders in North Laine (who are always bleating to the Argus about how the council's parking policy/rate rises are killing their business) seem remarkably reluctant to stay open after 5.30, missing out on all the commuter trade.

As to Mouldy Boots' point about people saving money by shopping at the supermarket, the reverse is true. I save myself about a fiver each week by shopping at the market rather than Sainsbury's.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Gwylan said:
You still see this in Brighton, BTW. The traders in North Laine (who are always bleating to the Argus about how the council's parking policy/rate rises are killing their business) seem remarkably reluctant to stay open after 5.30, missing out on all the commuter trade.

Hmm. I fail to see how any trader in the North Laine could fail to make an absolute killing. Their prices keep going up and up -- and even discounting weekend trade, more and more people walk through there during the week as London Road slides further towards ruin...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Hmm. I fail to see how any trader in the North Laine could fail to make an absolute killing. Their prices keep going up and up -- and even discounting weekend trade, more and more people walk through there during the week as London Road slides further towards ruin...

I think there are some doing very, very well but there are closures. And there are some big whingers in the Argus.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Dies Irae said:

kenyan beans
Guatemalan Broccoli
South African Asparagus
Australian Wine,
Turkish Cherries
Israeli Oranges
French Apples

Seeing as air travel is the biggest emitter of carbon polutants that wasn't the most environmental days shopping was it :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here