Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Supermarkets selling Halal meat......

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Mistley Essex
Comes back to shopping locally, we have used our local butcher for the last 3yrs and to be honest the quality is far better than anything the supermarkets serve up. The prices are also comparable with local mince sausages & bacon all cheaper than tesco.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The kind of people that are going to be getting upset are likely UKippers, these are the sort of people that buy boxes of 40 burgers from Iceland so frankly Halal is the least of their worries, it's the chemicals and bollocks in their food.

Halal should be labelled though as some religions like Sikhs cannot eat it.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
Just because some may complain about slaughter on this thread doesn't mean they happen to not care about the conditions of the animal's life as well. i.e. many here do not "just" complain about the slaughter. That's another thread in itself, this thread is about the slaughtering of animals, not its living conditions prior.

Very true... but from many of the comments on here it does seem like thats what people have the most problem with.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
It seems that a large number of you have not read the article. The story is taken from the side of the Faith leaders, who are calling for clearer packaging. I'm all for it. I'd rather make an informed choice on what I buy, rather than pot luck. I always try to buy British to keep the money in the country, and to support our farmers.

If the products were labelled as Halal I would hesitate to purchase due to the possibility that it wasn't stunned before slaughter. I can currently make an informed choice on meat products as to the country they are reared, and sometimes (depending on the supplier) I can be informed on how they were reared. At the moment I have no information around the slaughter, and have to assume that the supplier is abiding by EU law. In the case of Halal meat, they are exempt from EU Law and as such will naturally create an ambiguity around that slaughter assumption.

And for the record I'm not squeamish.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Since when did carnivores get so squeamish? When you see birds having necks wrung etc there is no nice way to do it. The thinking behind this uproar is more likely to be.bigotry rather than animal welfare

Speak for yourself.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So they want the animals killed but the offal left alive ?
Ideally, they don't want to think about it. People like to go and buy a piece of chicken breast. It doesn't even look like an animal.

I would think if you are really worried about animal suffering you would be vegan. (Given that it is quite hard to have a dairy industry without veal etc, etc)
I completely agree re the distinction between vegans and vegetarians. It's quite possible to eat meat without the animals suffering though. And surely that's what this discussion is about. What can we do to reduce the suffering of animals. Ending battery farmed chickens would be nice.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Subway not stocking pork products doesn't bother me. It's pretty silly but they have probably had a marketing bod on it who found out they sell mostly to Muslims or summat. They are a private company and can do as they wish. People are up in arms as if it's been made law.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It seems that a large number of you have not read the article. The story is taken from the side of the Faith leaders, who are calling for clearer packaging. I'm all for it. I'd rather make an informed choice on what I buy, rather than pot luck. I always try to buy British to keep the money in the country, and to support our farmers.

If the products were labelled as Halal I would hesitate to purchase due to the possibility that it wasn't stunned before slaughter. I can currently make an informed choice on meat products as to the country they are reared, and sometimes (depending on the supplier) I can be informed on how they were reared. At the moment I have no information around the slaughter, and have to assume that the supplier is abiding by EU law. In the case of Halal meat, they are exempt from EU Law and as such will naturally create an ambiguity around that slaughter assumption.

And for the record I'm not squeamish.

well said

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Jesus. I wonder what we all would look like to somebody from 150 years ago or from a 3rd world nation?

"Let me get this right, you have a huge building you can drive to, fill your car with food that has been reared, slaughtered, packaged and delivered for you, or even delivered to your very kitchen and you are concerned about the last 3 seconds of a cow's life. Hahah, that's a joke right"?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
This is such a non story though. The right wing, UKIP lot getting their knickers in a knot over the dark skinned invaders again.

The kind of people that are going to be getting upset are likely UKippers, these are the sort of people that buy boxes of 40 burgers from Iceland so frankly Halal is the least of their worries, it's the chemicals and bollocks in their food.

You do talk some crap. How do you take a story about faith leaders calling for better labeling and turn it into an anti-UKIP rant ? How exactly does say a Jewish leader calling for a more specific label on meat equate to "UKIP getting their knickers in a twist" ???

As a pro-UKIPer I'd be very happy for the faith leaders' calls to be taken up. Sorry to disappoint you but this is not a political sided issue.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
I buy dolphin friendly tuna, in the hope that one day someone will introduce tuna friendly tuna. I will open the tin and there will be nothing inside. Of course, dolphins are cuddly and do tricks in aquariums. My pet tuna still can't leap out of the fish tank.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Subway not stocking pork products doesn't bother me. It's pretty silly but they have probably had a marketing bod on it who found out they sell mostly to Muslims or summat. They are a private company and can do as they wish. People are up in arms as if it's been made law.

cant see that lasting long, whenever i go to subway (in London) half seem to be having either Italian BMT or the meatballs. and it kills their entire breakfast range, doesn't it?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You do talk some crap. How do you take a story about faith leaders calling for better labeling and turn it into an anti-UKIP rant ? How exactly does say a Jewish leader calling for a more specific label on meat equate to "UKIP getting their knickers in a twist" ???

As a pro-UKIPer I'd be very happy for the faith leaders' calls to be taken up. Sorry to disappoint you but this is not a political sided issue.

Ukipper? Okay, I'll try and put this as if I was explaining it to a child who is like 7% retarded or something.

The majority of people who have not read the article properly are getting themselves wound up (on comments boards, on vox pops, radio etc) are coming from a standpoint of anti immigration, country is changing to accommodate Muslims etc, UKIP types. Simple really. I'm not saying every UKipper is upset about it but the people that are upset are mostly UKippers.

Please don't now do your usual trick of jumping on every thing I post when I've said something about UKIP. I do not intend to spend a second explaining it in increasingly basic terms only for you to still be clueless.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Wouldn't the people getting annoyed be people who believe in better welfare for animals or secularists? I wouldn't imagine they're the standard UKIP voters.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wouldn't the people getting annoyed be people who believe in better welfare for animals or secularists? I wouldn't imagine they're the standard UKIP voters.

There is certainly an element of people concerned for welfare in the mix.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
If the people who are outraged about this care so much about the suffering of animals and want it banned, why not suggest the ban on animal slaughter completely?

Maybe because they like eating MEAT!?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The only two meat products I eat really are beef and chicken. I buy decent beef but don't care less how the chicken was raised or slaughtered because chicken doesn't taste of anything, it's how you flavour it and cook it that makes it taste nice.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Ukipper? Okay, I'll try and put this as if I was explaining it to a child who is like 7% retarded or something.

The majority of people who have not read the article properly are getting themselves wound up (on comments boards, on vox pops, radio etc) are coming from a standpoint of anti immigration, country is changing to accommodate Muslims etc, UKIP types. Simple really. I'm not saying every UKipper is upset about it but the people that are upset are mostly UKippers.

Please don't now do your usual trick of jumping on every thing I post when I've said something about UKIP. I do not intend to spend a second explaining it in increasingly basic terms only for you to still be clueless.

I think you'll find the people "upset" by this type of slaughter are the animal lobbyists. Rightly or wrongly they believe the animal suffers more when using Halal methods of slaughter. I know you think you're so so intelligent but it's obviously escaped your rapier observational skills that a majority of animal lobbyists tend to lean to the left rather than the right. You carry on though, nothing like blaming the worlds ills on a single group every time - I guess actors don't really need brains or intelligence though, just the ability to remember lines.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I think you'll find the people "upset" by this type of slaughter are the animal lobbyists. Rightly or wrongly they believe the animal suffers more when using Halal methods of slaughter. I know you think you're so so intelligent but it's obviously escaped your rapier observational skills that a majority of animal lobbyists tend to lean to the left rather than the right. You carry on though, nothing like blaming the worlds ills on a single group every time - I guess actors don't really need brains or intelligence though, just the ability to remember lines.

I'm guessing you didn't get through the Mail article then?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here