Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Superb journalism from The Sun

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I like the bit where it says Taylor was training yesterday while Eduardo fights to save his career.

The clear implication being that Taylor was out in the sunshine, whistling a carefree tune and cheerfully kicking lumps out of his colleagues, without a thought for the suffering Eduardo.

The truth being that at this moment in time, there will be bugger all that Eduardo can do about the situation, and his fate is entirely in the hands of others. The player himself is probably sitting in a bed, knocking back painkillers, drinking strong coffee and perusing the pages of O Globo, while watching Brazilian soap operas on satellite.

Taylor, meanwhile, will be fending off grudge bearing Croatian journalists at every corner, wondering how he's going to deal with the pressure of having his every tackle analysed for months on end, and wishing he could turn the clock back on that split second mistimed challenge that EVERY player has made at some point.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
If it was that bad, then Wenger wouldn't have retracted his emotive post-match comments...

This made me laugh in the Telegraph this morning.

Sue Mott:
No doubt Arsene Wenger was dismayed to discover that many of Sunday's (particularly tabloid) newspapers did not carry the retraction he issued following his heat-of-the-moment comments that Martin Taylor should be banned for life following his bone-shattering tackle on Eduardo.

Having recovered his poise following the tumult of post-match emotions, the Arsenal manager had been quick to make a more measured appraisal of the situation which was broadcast on Match of the Day.

However, you know what the papers will say: "Retraction? Sorry, Arsene, we didn't see it."

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Fortunately within a few minutes they found his foot behind one of the advertising hoardings, but it was touch and go for a while.

Easy, I heard it almost ended up in the catering vans deep fat fryer.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
It was a simple mistimed tackle; if you have seen the tackle or indeed pictures of it you will see that Taylor was looking at the ball and clearly going for it. He may have been over-zealous in the manner in which he tried to win the ball but there have been far worse lunges this season which have resulted in far less serious injuries. It was just bad luck that Eduardo was in the position that he was with his weight distributed as it was. It seems that people are always trying to find someone to blame when maybe it might have just been an accident arising from a mistimed but ultimately legitimate tackle?

Even Slavan Bilic, the Croatia coach, has said that it was fair but mistimed tackle which due to unlucky circumstances has resulted in a horrific injury.

Taylor is going to shaken up enough as it is without being cast as a figure of hate in the national press. At the moment he is being made out to be a Ben Thatcher style figure of hate but the intent was nothing like the same as Thatcher's on Mendes.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I think the " couldn't give a toss " way he walked away after he butchered Eduardo did him no favours.

I don't think was quite the way he walked away was it. I took the view that he knew what had happened, and was so disgusted with himself he wanted to get away from the situation before it scarred him for life. It certainly wasn't a "couldn't give a toss" walk away.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
People might think this sounds callous but one of the only genuine arguments for professional sportsman earning the ridiculous amounts some do, is that they put their body on the line.

Eduardo could end up disabled but he has been paid handsomely for it.

Rusthall Seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Tunbridge wells
I take an oposing view, it was so bad and reckless he should be ashamed of it for the rest of his life. Eduardo would have lost his foot within a few minutes it has been reported if the paramedic has not managed to reconnect it to his leg.

have you actually EVER played a proper game of football? You do spout some rubbish on here US, but, that really is up there with some of your dumbest quotes

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
have you actually EVER played a proper game of football? You do spout some rubbish on here US, but, that really is up there with some of your dumbest quotes

I was a very promising young footballer with a career record of 235 games and 35 goals in the Brighton Saturday league, divs 2-6. I was destined for greater things until I decided drinking and gambling on a Saturday afternoon was more fun.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Absolute rag and I feel violated having just read parts of that.

Any chance that in future, if anyone wants to post something out of the Sun, just post a link and also state that its from the Sun so that all right minded people don't look at it?!

Just out of interest, I am assuming the Sun on Monday had an arrow pointing to Eduardo's leg and a half page blown up photo of it.

Timbo! I must firstly SWEAR to you that i didn't / don't buy the shitty sun but was shown it by a colleague yesterday and yes, it had Eduardo's leg in different angles. Also had an interview 'exclusive' with David Buust as well as pics of Buusts leg along with Henrik Larson, Alan Smith and Cisse. They are SKUM...

But Cisse's leg did look the worst!

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
I think the " couldn't give a toss " way he walked away after he butchered Eduardo did him no favours.

sorry but really don't agree, he looked in complete shock, what do you want from him? do you want to see hime moan at the ref for sending him off? maybe drop on his knees next to Eduardo in tears pleeading for forgiveness. It was a badly timed tackle, they happen all the time but unfortunately this one led to a nasty injury

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Pah, these football players are all namby pamby anyway. Now Tim Krumrie's leg injury in the SuperBowl in 1988. Now that was an injury. I can still vividly see his leg flapping around in all the wrong directions to this day.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm with those who believe there are far worse tackles in every match, this was very unlucky. His boot wasn't raised, it wasn't two footed - and he probably was sent off for the extent of the injury, rather than the poorness of the tackle.

But if anything good can come out of it, maybe the more thuggish players will see what has happened to Taylor and think twice in the future.

It's not the right reason, they should be refraining because they want to play the game fairly, respect their fellow professionals and don't want to end their careers.

But since that doesn't seem to be doing the trick, maybe this might have at least one positive spin-off.

His boot was raised otherwise it couldn't have caught beetween the knee and ankle. It was a very bad challenge and there are too many of them about, just becasue it's not the worst doesn't make it any less reprehensible

Double Hard Bastard

Oct 16, 2006
Absolute rag and I feel violated having just read parts of that.

Any chance that in future, if anyone wants to post something out of the Sun, just post a link and also state that its from the Sun so that all right minded people don't look at it?!

Just out of interest, I am assuming the Sun on Monday had an arrow pointing to Eduardo's leg and a half page blown up photo of it.

I can't stand the tabloids but whenever an non football aritcle appears about Ronaldo he's always refered to as 'prostitue loving Ronaldo...' Ha ha I fecking love that!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
sorry but i dont get the hurrah and disbelief about this happening. we see identical challanges EVERY week, many not even carded, and every season one or two go tragically wrong. Its a CONTACT sport ffs, there will be injuries, some serious.

the only caption that could possibly be placed under that image by a sane, rational person is "Birmingham players training, yesturday"

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Pah, these football players are all namby pamby anyway. Now Tim Krumrie's leg injury in the SuperBowl in 1988. Now that was an injury. I can still vividly see his leg flapping around in all the wrong directions to this day.

Good point, Stuart Pearce would have carried on and ran it off. Namby pamby foreigners :angry:

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Look the point is IT WAS A SHOCKINGLY BAD challenge and the player must accept the shit coming his way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here