Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Superb journalism from The Sun

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
According to The Sun, THIS image is clear and conclusive proof that Martin Taylor has not learned from his "crimes".

What a pathetic and insulting bit of journalism. A bog standard photo of two players knocking the ball around in training and all of a sudden he's "lunging in" again? We all know it wasn't a great challenge on Eduardo, but it looks as though they're going to hound Taylor for the rest of his career, the poor bloke won't be able to bump into anyone without some rabid Arsenal-loving Sun writer bringing up the Eduardo incident. Do they want him to retire, FFS?

60_taylor_682x400_442639a.jpg

MARTIN TAYLOR flies in with his studs showing again — just 45 hours after his horror tackle on Eduardo.

The Birmingham defender was training yesterday while Arsenal striker Eduardo fights to save his career.

Taylor caught the Croatian star with a bone-smashing challenge at St Andrew’s on Saturday.

But Eduardo insists he bears no grudge and said: “F**k it, that’s life in football.

"I forgive Martin. It hurt like hell but I’m fine now. I know he didn’t do it on purpose.

“I was horrified when I saw how my leg looked at first and wondered how it would all end. But I will be back.”

Eduardo suffered a broken fibula and dislocated left ankle in the third minute of Saturday’s 2-2 draw.

Death threats
Taylor was shown a red card for his challenge.

And despite being forgiven by Eduardo, the centre-back has still received death threats from enraged Croat fans. Brum security staff had to step in as Croatian journalists tried to get into Taylor’s car when he left training.

Blues boss Alex McLeish said: “I’ve heard about the death threats. There are some crazy people in the world.

“There has been a furore over the incident and we would like to draw a line under it now and let Martin get on with his career.”

Eduardo hopes to be discharged from hospital in the next few days. An Arsenal spokesman said: “All being well, Eduardo will be in plaster and use crutches for six to eight weeks.

“It is hoped he will be running again in six months and make a full recovery after nine.”

McLeish believes that Taylor has also been left scarred by the incident.

He added: “Martin was horrified and if the ref had given him a yellow, I don’t know if he could have played on anyway.”

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
For me he's just a Donkey defender whose biggest crime is being shit and not being able to make a fair challenge on a player miles better and quicker than him.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Not good. I tell you one thing, though - if I received death threats from Croatian fans, I'd take them seriously. Seriously scary bunch.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Absolute rag and I feel violated having just read parts of that.

Any chance that in future, if anyone wants to post something out of the Sun, just post a link and also state that its from the Sun so that all right minded people don't look at it?!

Just out of interest, I am assuming the Sun on Monday had an arrow pointing to Eduardo's leg and a half page blown up photo of it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the " couldn't give a toss " way he walked away after he butchered Eduardo did him no favours.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Absolute rag and I feel violated having just read parts of that.

Any chance that in future, if anyone wants to post something out of the Sun, just post a link and also state that its from the Sun so that all right minded people don't look at it?!

Just out of interest, I am assuming the Sun on Monday had an arrow pointing to Eduardo's leg and a half page blown up photo of it.

In fairness the title of the post should have given it away.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
For me he's just a Donkey defender whose biggest crime is being shit and not being able to make a fair challenge on a player miles better and quicker than him.

I think you need to visit your Anger Management thread Gareth. That is a ridiculous thing to say.

Martin Taylor is a good defender who just happened to mistime a challenge which, combined with the other players speed and the fact that, for a split second, all his body weight was going through his ankle, resulted in a horrific injury.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I take an oposing view, it was so bad and reckless he should be ashamed of it for the rest of his life. Eduardo would have lost his foot within a few minutes it has been reported if the paramedic has not managed to reconnect it to his leg.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pathetic. Some hack has actually sat there at Birminghams training ground just waiting to get a picture of Taylor with his boot raised - never mind the fact you could (if you could be arsed) get a picture of every player in the League doing EXACTLY the same thing.

I cannot believe even the most semi-literate caveman reading that rag could look at that article and think anything other than "what a load of BOLLOCKS".
If I was Alex McLeish, The Sun would be banned from St Andrews until they print a full-page apology for this pathetic excuse for journalism they have offered up today.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I'm not trying to debate the validity of the tackle all over again, merely the shoddy, cheap journalism standards of the Sun's editorial team, which evidently allow a completely normal photograph of a footballer making an absolutely normal challenge to be portrayed as "going in studs up again".

Because there are plenty of lobotomised people out there whose opinions on life are, believe it or not, formed by what they read in this particular paper, and whose opinion of Martin Taylor will be further crystallised by such drivel.

The poor guy is never going to get away from that moment, if this apparent witch hunt continues.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I agree he could be the fall guy but if it sends out a message to be careful with the challenges thats a good thing. With some of the challenges made recently Criminal proceedings for GBH would be appropriate.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I'm with those who believe there are far worse tackles in every match, this was very unlucky. His boot wasn't raised, it wasn't two footed - and he probably was sent off for the extent of the injury, rather than the poorness of the tackle.

But if anything good can come out of it, maybe the more thuggish players will see what has happened to Taylor and think twice in the future.

It's not the right reason, they should be refraining because they want to play the game fairly, respect their fellow professionals and don't want to end their careers.

But since that doesn't seem to be doing the trick, maybe this might have at least one positive spin-off.

Double Hard Bastard

Oct 16, 2006
I take an oposing view, it was so bad and reckless he should be ashamed of it for the rest of his life. Eduardo would have lost his foot within a few minutes it has been reported if the paramedic has not managed to reconnect it to his leg.

You plum!

P.s. A.I. sucked you jackass!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I take an oposing view, it was so bad and reckless he should be ashamed of it for the rest of his life.
Nonsense. It was a mistimed tackle and I'd say that if it wasn't for the fact that it was such a bad break, then he might have stayed on the pitch.

If it was that bad, then Wenger wouldn't have retracted his emotive post-match comments and there would have been a clamour for an extended ban for the player.

Dandyman

In London village.
I think you need to visit your Anger Management thread Gareth. That is a ridiculous thing to say.

Martin Taylor is a good defender who just happened to mistime a challenge which, combined with the other players speed and the fact that, for a split second, all his body weight was going through his ankle, resulted in a horrific injury.

Well said, Uncle Hiney.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Eduardo would have lost his foot within a few minutes it has been reported if the paramedic has not managed to reconnect it to his leg.
Fortunately within a few minutes they found his foot behind one of the advertising hoardings, but it was touch and go for a while.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
That is common with a lot of broken bones in the leg/ankle isn't it?

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004

Rubbish.

It was badly timed. It happens every week but normally the player isn't putting as much pressure his foot i.e. he gets knocked over or flung in the air.

It was an awful conclusion to an average occurrence in a football match.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here