Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunday 8th May - a city wide Albion Promotion Celebration

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Is this the same Councillor David Smith who was so keen on the Albion moving to Falmer that he voted against the original planning application, back in 2002?

Politicans have no shame. Let him run after the Gus bus....

... so the Tories appointed him to be the City Council's Cabinet Member for Culture, Recreation & Tourism (including responsibility for sport)?

What a load of sanctimonious crap. He is acting in his official capacity. What do you lot expect him to do? Say no? Seems he's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. And does the head of sport in city have to agree with the football club on every decision?

I don't believe we have Phil. He is my local councillor and his utterances towards the stadium to people in his ward are nothing short of contemptuous. What he is saying now in his official capacity is something completely different. he's looking at the benefits to the city (accepting the arguments we made all along) but that doesn't mean he supports the stadium location or indeed will admit that his foretelling of traffic chaos in Rottingdean will be way off the mark.

Perhaps he's had a Paulian conversion. Have you asked him? Has the potential traffic chaos in Rottingdean been disproved then? I'd have thought 6th August would be the earliest we can say one way or the other.

Tory Councillor in being complete idiot shocker.
Remember to vote against these idiots on the 5th so he won't be so 'happy' on the 8th.

But apparently he was the only Tory to vote for 'No'. What about the Tories that didn't vote 'No'? Will you let people vote for them in May?

And why was he an idiot? He chose to oppose the scheme. It's his and everyone's right to hold their own views. As I recall the Greens were very reluctant partners in the stadium building - acknowledging that although they weren't really in favour of Downland being built upon they recognised the importance of the stadium to the city.

brilliant , a joyus parade , followed by a public stoning by the popular peoples front of nsc . ile bring the missus ,how much for a beard and a bag of gravel.

Quite. Seems like there's a fair few people that can't help themselves when it comes to a bit of political scapegoating. Perhaps we ought to vet also the JCLs. Those who might have been opposed to Falmer are barred from joining the Gus Bus next season also.

Well done NSC. Up to your usual knee-jerk best.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I'm not bothered personally. It's a bit inconvenient if anything. This is the THIRD time now in less than a decade and the club ought to think of associated costs for fans when winning all these trophys.

Gus OUT!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Perhaps he's had a Paulian conversion. Have you asked him? Has the potential traffic chaos in Rottingdean been disproved then? I'd have thought 6th August would be the earliest we can say one way or the other.

Yes I have asked him (not about the potential of a Road to Damascus moment) but his current view having been against it and being disiengenuous in a council meeting which has statutory authority.

As for the traffic I said 'will admit' he's wrong - I was talking about future tense rather than present and past. I had assumed it would have been clear but if it makes it cleaer I will add 'after the first month of games'

Hope this helps

x

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Oh god... here we go with the Tory binfest... Nice one.....

Not at all. I'm not trying to put forward any political opinion. I'm asking the people who are having a pop at Brighton's head of sport what he's supposed to do in this particular instance. It seems that resignation is the only viable solution.

Assuming your comment is aimed at me, I don't think I've expressed any opinions that lean towards pro- or anti-Tory unlike the others I have criticised.

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
Yes I have asked him (not about the potential of a Road to Damascus moment) but his current view having been against it and being disiengenuous in a council meeting which has statutory authority.

As for the traffic I said 'will admit' he's wrong - I was talking about future tense rather than present and past. I had assumed it would have been clear but if it makes it cleaer I will add 'after the first month of games'

Hope this helps

x

Not really. Thanks for repeating the same thing but with the heavily patronising tone but if he genuinely thinks it's going to be a problem why should he have to admit that 'he will be wrong' now? He may well be wrong, I hope he is but until then you are no nearer knowing the truth than he is.

And to think you accuse him of being contemptuous.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Not really. Thanks for repeating the same thing but with the heavily patronising tone but if he genuinely thinks it's going to be a problem why should he have to admit that 'he will be wrong' now? He may well be wrong, I hope he is but until then you are no nearer knowing the truth than he is.

And to think you accuse him of being contemptuous.

apologies if it sounded patronising or contemptuous but i actually think we're agreeing on most of this.

1) I, like you, said that he was acting in his official capacity when he said this

2) I, like you, said that he should talk about the traffic after the stadium has opened but in the same way as I will need to admit I'm wrong if there is chaos, I would expect him to admit he's wrong if there isn't.

3) I was referring to his view on the stadium itself (he personally didn't accept the financial benefits or the arguments for needing one) or indeed the location

I'm not calling for a lynch mob.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This is what Cllr Smith actually said, according to the Argus:

"This is great news for the city. Look what promotion to the Premiership has done for Blackpool this year. It's brought them to the attention of a whole new sporting audience. I expect there to be a similar effect in Brighton & Hove. This will really put us on the map.

"When you add in the attraction of the new stadium [that I voted against] we are going to be a top destination for sports fans [No thanks to you David]. Hopefully they will decide to make a weekend of it and that will benefit our economy tremendously as will the word of mouth that will generate.

"We have plenty to offer in Brighton & Hove and we just need the opportunity to show that.

"These days we are up there with Barcelona"
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Of course we are, David, of course we are... :facepalm:

Not at all. I'm not trying to put forward any political opinion. I'm asking the people who are having a pop at Brighton's head of sport what he's supposed to do in this particular instance. It seems that resignation is the only viable solution.
He's not the Council's "Head of Sport". He is a politician, appointed to his political position as Cabinet Member for Culture, Recreation & Tourism by the Leader of the Conservative Group, Mary Mears.

We're in the middle of an election campaign in which he's standing as a candidate. So the answer to the question "what is he supposed to do in this particular instance?" is SAY NOTHING on behalf of the Council as a whole. He's free to make politically motivated statements as part of his campaigning, but to try to associate himself with the success of the Albion (which this particular jape is all about) is the height of cynicism, given his longstanding objections to the stadium being built. Anything he says publicly at the moment is fair game for criticism. I criticised him when I was more actively involved in political campaigning myself and I don't think it's "sanctimonious crap" to continue to do so.

Having said that, I am delighted that the City Council's officers are apparently making appropriate arrangements for events to celebrate the Albion's success. Smith should just stay off the bandwagon.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
But apparently he was the only Tory to vote for 'No'. What about the Tories that didn't vote 'No'? Will you let people vote for them in May?

No. Because they're ruining the country and only do things for themselves.[/QUOTE]

And why was he an idiot? He chose to oppose the scheme. It's his and everyone's right to hold their own views. As I recall the Greens were very reluctant partners in the stadium building - acknowledging that although they weren't really in favour of Downland being built upon they recognised the importance of the stadium to the city.

The green party were concerned about the size of the car park while there were many green alternatives. There's not a lot wrong with that. The train bridge (I walked under this morning) and the amount of cycle locks are maybe a result of that.

Anyway. Lets look forward to the 8th.

ForeverAGull

Jul 14, 2010
East Sussex
this cant be true the club will no that most fans will be staying over night after the notts county game and i would imagen the players would... this would also be on the website and sunday public transport is shite so i dout it would be on a sunday as there will be no were to park in city... total bullsh*t from a total cu*t

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
this cant be true the club will no that most fans will be staying over night after the notts county game and i would imagen the players would... this would also be on the website and sunday public transport is shite so i dout it would be on a sunday as there will be no were to park in city... total bullsh*t from a total cu*t

Blimey, if that's your 33rd posting, we can only look forward to your 34th!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Bugger I'll miss it......but I was there at the last one, which was embarrassing, maybe because it wasn't exactly a novelty & they did it after the players summer break.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom

didn't stop the club last couple of times ('01 and '02) why would it this time?

Joey Deacon's Disco Suit

It's a THUG life
Apr 19, 2010
... so the Tories appointed him to be the City Council's Cabinet Member for Culture, Recreation & Tourism (including responsibility for sport)?

He's not the Council's "Head of Sport".

Okay. He's not the head of Sport. He's the City Council's Cabinet Member for Culture, Recreation & Tourism (including responsibility for sport) if we're going to split hairs about it. He was speaking, as I understand it in an official council capacity. It's why the Argus quoted him and not the Council Member for Housing.

He is a politician, appointed to his political position as Cabinet Member for Culture, Recreation & Tourism by the Leader of the Conservative Group, Mary Mears.

Of course he is. That's what politicians do. Their leaders appoint them to some official role. And quite why you mentioned who appointed him, I don't know. It's not relevant. The man has an official role within the Brighton Council and sport comes under his remit. This is clearly an item that falls under his watch.

So the answer to the question "what is he supposed to do in this particular instance?" is SAY NOTHING on behalf of the Council as a whole.

So are you saying that he had no authority to make this announcement and that he made this decision unilaterally? In which case he's acting ultra vires and should be censured. You better report him then.

I can quite understand that he's not your favourite politician, neither is he a member of your favourite political party but unfortunately for you he is the person at Brighton Council responsible for sports and recreation. I can't see how he can avoid mentioning BHA, quite frankly.

ForeverAGull

Jul 14, 2010
East Sussex
didn't stop the club last couple of times ('01 and '02) why would it this time?

maby because port vale isnt as fat as nottingham so it would of been a one day job for most people (it was for me), and i know nottingham can be done in a day as im doing it in a day but the train is very expencive so people who drive might want to drink after the match theirfour they will stay in nottingham, and the club wouldnt of had as much money back then so they might not of wanted to spend it on a hotel for the night. and im not 100% sure about this but i think public transport on a sunday was alot better on a sunday 10 years ago :)

So are you saying that he had no authority to make this announcement and that he made this decision unilaterally? In which case he's acting ultra vires and should be censured. You better report him then.

I can quite understand that he's not your favourite politician, neither is he a member of your favourite political party but unfortunately for you he is the person at Brighton Council responsible for sports and recreation. I can't see how he can avoid mentioning BHA, quite frankly.
One of the RULES that govern council communications during an election period is that no references will be made to individual politicians in press releases.

Whoever at the council is responsible for getting David Smith's name into that Argus story has broken that rule. I'm assuming it was him. If it was someone else, I apologise to him and direct my criticism at them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here