Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Summer Window and Squad 24/25

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Was this the right place to post that @chaileyjem? I'm still very new to posting here, but at a glance it looked like it was on topic for the thread, so I didn't use my post to make a new thread.
very much on topic for this thread !

And agree with the thrust of your post that we should expect perhaps more overhaul of the squad than expected to make it manageable for Hurzeler, stronger (especially in midfield) , and hence incomings/outgoings and probably many more loans should be expected.
PS: We normally loan about 15+ players per season. Currently we're at 5 so expect a flurry of these in the next few weeks.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Really just need a Right back!

If we fail to get one whose going to play there if we play a flat back four?
I’d guess Hinsh will, he played both left and right back when he came on against QPR and we know he’s adept at pushing into midfield from there when we are in possession which suits how Fabian plays the game.

I’m more concerned about midfield, feels like we are a couple of players short on options there, especially if we lose WBG.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Fab must’ve liked what he’s seen from Ayari too. Interesting one, if he’s solely assessing players performance and ignoring reputations and history, Ayari has a good chance of staying and getting minutes

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've been thinking quite a bit about the remaining potential incomings and outgoings, and how our final PL-registered official squad list will look. I think we are going to see a few (3-4) more coming in and quite a big number (quite possibly well into the teens) going out (either by loan or transfer) over the next few weeks. How I reached that conclusion is below. It was really helpful to me to write this all out for my own brain's sake. I hope it will be helpful for some of you to read, and that it helps you think through how you might answer some of these squad questions as well, so I'm posting it here. Shoutout to the original poster here, as you've already given folks an incredible platform for squad considerations already, with posting this detailed breakdown here on NSC.

*You have my apologies for this being a bit meandering and perhaps even contradictory to itself, but it's reflective of the conflict between guys I wanted to keep (and thought we would at first glance) and the difficulty of getting the squad down to a size comparable to what we had last season (and as a reminder, we don't have extra games in Europe to make it necessary to use as many players, nor do we hope to have as many injuries of course, but that's not a memory I want to revisit in great detail). I will say, I think that the fan base is still dealing with our post-Mac Allister/Caicedo midfield trauma last year, and retain a fear that losing a small group of quality players means imminent collapse. However, given what you'll see below, I think we have to accept that some tough decisions about who remains in the squad will have to be made, and that some well-liked and some really useful players will have to be moved along because of how many talented players we have in the fold.

Without additional signings, here are the over age 21 guys that might be in the official PL squad list:

1. Verbruggen
2. ⁠Steele
3. ⁠Lamptey - transfer?
4. ⁠Veltman - transfer?
5. ⁠Offiah - loan/transfer?
6. ⁠Dunk
7. ⁠Van Hecke
8. ⁠Igor
9. ⁠Webster
10. ⁠Turns - loan/transfer?
11. ⁠Estupinan
12. ⁠Milner
13. ⁠March
14. ⁠⁠Weir - loan?
15. ⁠Mitoma
16. ⁠Peupion - loan/transfer?
17. ⁠Wieffer
18. ⁠Pedro
19. ⁠Welbeck
20. ⁠Sarmiento
21. ⁠Adingra

Even with 4 more (2002 or older) additions, we’d still be okay in terms of legal squad size without moving anyone else.

Note: That’s assuming Rushworth goes on loan and that Undav, Sima, Gilmour, Dahoud, and Moder move as well.

We have 14 u21s:

1. Cozier-Duberry 2005
2. ⁠Hinshelwood 2005
3. ⁠Mazilu 2005
4. ⁠Yalcouye 2005
5. ⁠Baleba 2004
6. ⁠Barco 2004
7. ⁠Buonanotte 2004
8. ⁠Enciso 2004
9. ⁠Ferguson 2004
10. ⁠Minteh 2004
11. ⁠Osman 2004
12. ⁠Ayari 2003
13. ⁠Moran 2003
14. ⁠Samuels 2003

So, of those 35 combined remaining, the question becomes, “how big do you want the total squad to be?” There aren’t many among this group of u21 eligible guys that I’d expect to play with the u21s, so that makes it necessary to loan more of them. If you assume 5 of the 21 over 21s go on loan or transfer out, that’s still 30 total (again without additions of more new signings). From the 14 under-21s, Mazilu, Moran, Samuels, Buonanotte (given rumors) seem most likely to get a loan.

With those moves done, that’s still 26, again, w/out new additions. It would seem like only one of Yalcouye & Ayari would stay, but perhaps both do until Gomez arrives mid-year. Osman & Sarmiento are question marks, whether one or both might go out on loan. Still, those are big squad numbers.

I can’t help but think we might see some unexpected sales.

Last season, we effectively had 25 total at the start of the season (26, if you count Moder) There were others not in the count who were in the match day squad on occasion (BBB, Duffus, O’Mahony, Peupion, Samuels). Here's the 2023-24 official squad list for reference: https://www.premierleague.com/news/3886218

Given all of that, what do y’all think the right squad size is?

Okay. I’m going to try to do this. Adding O’Riley, Hummels, and Kadıoğlu. Cutting the roster to 25 (even though it’s not a requirement) just as an exercise.

2 GK - Verbruggen, Steele
5 CB - Dunk, Van Hecke, Hummels*, Igor, Webster
2 LB - Barco, Estupiñán
2 RB - Kadıoğlu*, Hinshelwood
4 CM - Wieffer, Baleba, O'Riley*, Milner
2 CAM - Enciso, Sarmiento
3 RW - Minteh, March, Cozier-Duberry
2 LW - Mitoma, Adingra
3 ST - Pedro, Ferguson, Welbeck

Not in there: Buonanotte, Osman, Ayari, Yalcouye, Lamptey, Veltman, Undav, Gilmour, Moder, Dahoud, Sima, Rushworth, Mazilu, Peupion, Moran, Weir, Offiah, Turns, Samuels

I'm really curious as to everyone’s thoughts about this. It’s hard to imagine all of these guys not in the squad. But, keeping more either means a very big squad or moving other players listed in the squad. If there's someone you'd demand we keep from this list, I'd love to hear who you'd move out or if you'd just want the extra player (despite knowing every addition just means fewer minutes for someone else). With that said, I think a case could be made for some additional sales of a player or two in the 25 to make room for a player or two in the list of those not included. I don't think my list of 25 is perfect; it's just a version (and the 25 number itself is arbitrary).

Again, that was really just me thinking out loud & doing my best to piece together what I’ve seen in the first 3 friendlies & what I’ve heard about likely loans & transfers. Obviously, there could be other additions, like Rutter or Gruda, who would change things.

A big takeaway for me, looking at the list of 25 above, is how much more positional interchangeability we’d have compared to last season, especially after the (theoretical) additions of Kadıoğlu & O’Riley. I’d be pleased w/that & it would suit Hürzeler’s system. Also, alongside the (presumed) January addition of Gomez (6'1'), Wieffer (6'3") and (again, presumably) O'Riley (6'2") would give us a much taller midfield group. Hummels, also known for being a formidable figure would add an additional big presence at the back. In addition to being better winning the ball in the air in the midfield, having so many bigger bodies should help in both attacking and defensive set pieces. Last year, Brighton was the shortest team in the PL and our set piece struggles are widely known and discussed. I'm thrilled that it looks like we'll move way up those rankings this season.

I welcome your thoughts in reply, on both what I've shared here as well as any ideas you have about the squad.

Again, I hope it was as helpful for some of you to see this written down as it was for me to write it out, if only so I wasn't trying to sort it all out in my head. If you made it this far, thank you for reading! I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on the squad! Cheers; Up the Albion!
As others have said, this is really helpful. I'd go for a slightly larger squad: 27 or 28. And for two reasons. First, it's just a feature of so many PL clubs that they suffer more injuries -- I suspect this is largely down to the intensity in which the game is now played. Second, we really ought to target going deep in the cups this season so, potentially, we could end up playing as many games as we did last season. So, of the list outside the 25, I'd go with Buonanotte, Yalcouye (if we can get a really good loan for him, maybe keep Ayari instead) and I'm really torn between Veltman and Lamptey. I love Veltman, his intelligence and what he's brought to us, but he is 32/33 and in his last year. Lamptey is also in his last year but there's potential sell on if we can get him to sign a new contract; there's also the question of whether we can sell this window -- if a decent enough offer comes in, think we'll have to take it. That said, I think Lamptey might be more suited as a R(W)B within FH's system; on the other side, Veltman could double up as a (R)CB.
I'd be delighted with those three signings if they happen and note that we've got Gomez coming in in Jan which will be well-timed as I suspect that there will be injuries to fill by then.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Assuming either Hinshelwood or new signing are he likely starters at right back, having Veltman on the bench to strengthen the defence overrides the attacking abilities of Lamptey, especially when there are plenty of attacking options available.

Of the not in there list keeping Yalcouye around looks a good option to me. He has already demonstrated an ability to find space and make himself available for a pass and a good engine, if he can develop the physical side of his game, he could be another gem.

Having been a big critic of Baleba last season, he looks to have filled out physically. if he can develop his passing game, especially on the end of those bursting runs, he could have a big impact this season.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Then of course there was Moran who started the first Japan friendly at right back. didn’t look comfortable though

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Okay. I’m going to try to do this. Adding O’Riley, Hummels, and Kadıoğlu. Cutting the roster to 25 (even though it’s not a requirement) just as an exercise.

2 LB - Barco, Estupiñán
2 LW - Mitoma, Adingra

Not in there: Buonanotte, Osman, Ayari, Yalcouye, Lamptey, Veltman, Undav, Gilmour, Moder, Dahoud, Sima, Rushworth, Mazilu, Peupion, Moran, Weir, Offiah, Turns, Samuels
Nice work Dagan

If you're finding this difficult, imagine how Chelsea fans feel!

I too think we are probably better going for more than 25. Many of these players aren't fit at the moment and have undetermined return dates. I might be totally wrong, but i'm discounting any significant contribution from March, Ferguson and Estupinan for the first half of the season. If they play, they will be having their minutes heavily managed.

I also think It's very optimistic that we land all three of these transfer targets. Though we may land one or two that we currently don't know about (of course Hummells wasn't even on the radar a few days ago)

For that reason I think we will release / sell / loan fewer than you are suggesting. I think Veltman will stay, and will be first choice right back. I also think two of Buonanotte, Ayari, Gilmour and Yalcouye will get a squad number, (only 1 if we land O'Reilly or similar). I can also see us retaining Samuels while we have only 1 fit left back

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Then of course there was Moran who started the first Japan friendly at right back. didn’t look comfortable though
Hinsh played right back against Chelsea and Brentford on the US tour last season. He didn’t play badly but didn’t look as comfortable as he did playing there as the season went on.

Difficult to judge Moran for the same reasons, he needs to learn the role if he’s going to play there more permanently and that takes time.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Hinsh played right back against Chelsea and Brentford on the US tour last season. He didn’t play badly but didn’t look as comfortable as he did playing there as the season went on.

Difficult to judge Moran for the same reasons, he needs to learn the role if he’s going to play there more permanently and that takes time.
Absolutely, just saying he didn’t look great solely based on what I saw, which isn’t the same as the boss sees and in training etc.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Given all of that, what do y’all think the right squad size is?

2 LB - Barco, Estupiñán
2 LW - Mitoma, Adingra

Great analysis piece @degan

I think your final squad is close to where we’ll end up but I’d for for 27 rather than 25. We need a third keeper but I suppose an U23 one could step up.

I’d keep Veltman because I think he can play the right wing back role well as he is a good passer. Igor is the man to sell if Hummels comes in. Again, this is about passing. Igor is great ball carrier but a poor passer when compared to Dunk or Hummels.

Finally, I’d loan out Osman and Buonanotte and give Ayari a chance. Osman looks a great 4th striker option but one of the wingers will have to step up here. I think Hürzeler really likes him because he seems like he is an all rounder. We could send him out on loan in January if Gomez needs to take his place. Or Gomez could go out on loan?

The below squad can cope with a good number of injuries but still have a good starting 11 as it contains a lot of adaptable players:

3 GK - Verbruggen, Steele, Fisher/Cahill
5 CB - Dunk, Van Hecke, Hummels*, Veltman, Webster
2 LB - Barco, Estupiñán
4 CM - Wieffer, Baleba, O'Riley*, Milner, Ayari/Gomez*
2 LW - Mitoma, Adingra

*New signing

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008

I think your final squad is close to where we’ll end up but I’d for for 27 rather than 25. We need a third keeper but I suppose an U23 one could step up.

I’d keep Veltman because I think he can play the right wing back role well as he is a good passer. Igor is the man to sell if Hummels comes in. Again, this is about passing. Igor is great ball carrier but a poor passer when compared to Dunk or Hummels.

Finally, I’d loan out Osman and Buonanotte and give Ayari a chance. Osman looks a great 4th striker option but one of the wingers will have to step up here. I think Hürzeler really likes him because he seems like he is an all rounder. We could send him out on loan in January if Gomez needs to take his place. Or Gomez could go out on loan?

The below squad can cope with a good number of injuries but still have a good starting 11 as it contains a lot of adaptable players:

2 LB - Barco, Estupiñán
2 LW - Mitoma, Adingra

*New signing
I would be ecstatic with that as a final squad. Cover & quality in all areas. My only question would be the lack of pace a centre back.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

2 LB - Barco, Estupiñán
2 LW - Mitoma, Adingra

*New signing
Frighteningly weak at Goalkeeper ( after Verbruggen ). I reckon we'll sign one.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2011
Some news as the squad keeps taking shape.
- Season long loan to L2 Grimsby Town for Luca Barrington
- Reporting that Carl Rushworth is headed for a Championship season long loan this season . (presumably meaning that Verbruggen + Steele + Cahill ? - are our three keepers for 24/25
- More incoming reporting especially around Mats Hummels and Matt O Riley.
- Outgoing reporting around Gilmour, and Buonanotte (loan)

Window opens : Friday June 14th
Closes : Friday August 30th
Updated to include Gross transfer, i've also taken out BBB who didn't go to Japan and seems to be training with the u21s. (Perhaps a loan ?) and the rather random list of u21s at the bottom.
We're still at about 39 or so for the squad so a fair bit of trimming to go. especially if more incomings.

Goalkeepers
1.Steele ( HGP ) (2026) - 33
2.Verbruggen (2028) - 21
3. Rushworth - (2027 + 1 year option) - 22

Full Backs
4. .Lamptey (HGP) (2025) - 23
5. Estupinan (2027) - 25
6. Veltman (2025) - 32
u21. Hinshelwood (HGP) (2026) - 18
u21. Barco (2028+ 1 year ) - 19
7. Offiah (HGP) (2025) - 21

Centre Backs

8. Webster ( HGP ) ( 2026) - 29
9..Dunk ( HGP ) (2026) - 32
10..van Hecke (2027) - 23
11.Igor Julio (2027) - 25
12. Turns (2025) - 21

Midfielders
13..Moder (2025) - 25
14..Gilmour (2026) (HGP) - 23
15. Milner (HGP) (2025) - 38
u21. Baleba (2028 + 1) - 20
16. Dahoud (2027) - 28
17. Ayari (2027) - 20
18. Moran (2027) - 20
19. Wieffer (2028) - 24
u21 Yalcouye (2029) - 18

Wingers/Forwards
U21. Buonanotte (2027) - 19
20. March ( HGP ) (2026 + 1 year option) - 29
21. Mitoma (2027) - 27
U21. Enciso (2026 + 1 yr option) - 20
22. Adingra (2026) - 21
23.. Sarmiento (2027 + 1 year option) - 21
u21. Mazilu - 18
u21 Osman (2029) -19
u21 Minteh (2029) -19
u21 Cozier-Duberry (HGP) -19

Centre Forwards

24. Welbeck ( HGP ) (2026) - 33
25. Joao Pedro (HGP) (2028)- 22
U21. Ferguson (2028) - 19
26. Sima (2025 ) - 22
27. Undav (2026) - 27
u21 O Mahony (2027) - 19

Players bought in Summer 2024: Osman (Nordsjælland ), Minteh (Newcastle FC), Wieffer (Feyenoord), Cozier Duberry (Arsenal), Yalcouye (IFK Goteborg)
Players sold in Summer 2024: Koslowski ( Gaziantep FK ), Leonard (Birmingham), .Groß (Borussia Dortmund)
Players released: Alzate, Lallana
Current Loans: Scherpen, (2027),24 (Sturm Graz) , Beadle (2028), 19 (Sheff Weds), Jackson (2025+1), 20 (Livingston), McGill (2025), (MK Dons) , Barrington (Grimsby)

u21s in 24/25 are born on or after Jan 1 2003
Sorry to interrupt. Surely more of the players aged over 21 are HGP?

Rushworth, Turns, Sarmiento, Moran...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here