Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer signings - Where do you think the team needs strengthening?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I suppose this is dependant on the retained list so I will be assuming that we have given contracts to:

Andy Whing
Gary Hart
Adam Hinshlewood
John Sullivan
Tommy Fraser

Gary Dicker should be the no 1 priority at the moment, as our midfield has been by far the weakest point of the team all season and he has made a massive difference since he's been in the side.

Assuming that we sign Dicker I would like to see two more central midfielders and two wide midfielders (one for each side).

In defence we need a left back and right back, I'm fairly happy with what we've got in the centre, although if a player is available who is obviously better than what we've already got then we should obviously try to sign him, that goes for any part of the team.

Up front we are quite strong when Murray and Forster are both fit. I think Davies will come good in the end so any signing will be dependant on wheather we get Owusu or not.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
We need a centre back if we get rid of Lynch.
Virgo and Elphick look solid enough, we cant bank on Hinshlewoods fitness, the rest (El Abd and Hawkins) dont make the grade if we want to be at the top of the table.

Midfield has been our biggest problem.
Need a decent holding midfielder and a good winger. Dicker is the obvious one to sign, he wants to be here too. Bangura is a difficult one. Hot and cold, but puts in some horrific challenges

Strikers.
Thats were we have plenty, of goals, but they need the service. Luke Rodgers isnt the answer, but Owusu is a good varient on Murray and Forster. Not forgetting we have Davies, who Slade doesnt seem to like at the moment

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
Depending on whether we keep Harty we also need some width on the right. We have Cox/McLeod on the left (providing lardy can get himself fit) but on the right we are struggling slightly.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Generally everywhere , we had a decent run at the end of the season which seems to of blanked everyones minds on the previous 39 games. All teams had a run , remember Crewe ?

This Forster and Murray line is worrying , Forster another year older and Murray seems injury prone, even if you consider when they played together we were still in the mire.

I think we need to get Owusu and I like the idea of Rodgers as a back up. I think we should learn our lesson from planning a season on Murray + Forster. Read back last summer and comments are very similar.

Defence wise , we need a decent centre back , cover for McNulty + cover for Whing (yes this is less urgent)

Midfield needs attention. Get Dicker, but we also need an option to give the team width. Playing Cox on the left and Loft on right whilst succesful in recent weeks isn't the answer. We still need x2 players who can hog the touchline and ping balls in. Like McCleod was supposed to. We can also never have too many quality CM's

A big clear out of the dead wood required as well.

Lots of work to be done. We are a long long way off despite hitting form once at the end of the season.

Don't be deluded by it

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
A few of you seem to want a couple of wingers- does Slade actually play with wingers though? It seems like we are going to play 4 3 1 2 with Cox in behind the front two and 3 behind him. Quite central but would give space for Whing and McNulty to get forward. Obviously if you want to play using wingers, you can't put Cox in that position as you won't control the midfield...

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
In answer to the thread, I don't think the team needs much, definatly sign Dicker and if we could bring in one more midfielder then great. Apart from that, I think the teams cool. I would also like to give Slade the chance to work with Robinson- although whether that will happen who knows. I don't know if he'll have looked at him or not. But he has the potential as we all know, and Slade has the managerial skills that could maybe get the best out of him. Would love him and Cox in free roaming midfield roles with Bangura and Dicker in behind them. Flair or what?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Top priority for me would be to get sully signed up if not already b4 he is poached for peanuts,he is a quality keeper and no doubt his services will be required at some stage if not as no1 choice.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
In answer to the thread, I don't think the team needs much, definatly sign Dicker and if we could bring in one more midfielder then great. Apart from that, I think the teams cool. I would also like to give Slade the chance to work with Robinson- although whether that will happen who knows. I don't know if he'll have looked at him or not. But he has the potential as we all know, and Slade has the managerial skills that could maybe get the best out of him. Would love him and Cox in free roaming midfield roles with Bangura and Dicker in behind them. Flair or what?

Robinson has hardly set the world on fire in L2 mate.

And thinking the team is cool after the season we've just had hhhmmm

Each to their own but think you are wildly wide of the mark

Mar 3, 2004
Hove
Im open minded as to who he releases and gets in. He will already know who has the b*llocks and who hasn't. Can we expect any Yeovil players in? Any of them any good?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Too many assumptions being made here. This is a tough one, I think it is impossible to second guess what Slade will do, and indeed if he is allowed to do what he wants. I imagine there will be players leaving, who we would rather see stay, and wouldn't be suprised to see Slade raid Yeovil for one or two.

One thing for sure, next season is going to be the toughest ever in League One, there will be Norwich, Southampton and Charlton, and of course at least one of Leeds and MK Dons. The challengers for the top spots is going to be pretty clear. And if we are to join that challenge in any way, we are going to have to sign some big names to lead our squad.

jharris

Feb 27, 2009
A few from the following players wouldn't surprise me !!.
Paul Terry, MF Released by Orient (ex Yeovil)
Wayne Gray F, Released by Orient (ex Yeovil)
Michael Rose LB, Out of contract Stockport (ex Yeovil)
Luke Rodgers S,Released by Yeovil
Paul Warne M/F,Out of contract at Yeovil
Jean Paul-Kalala M, Oldham Out of Contract, (ex Grimsby and Yeovil)
Chris Weale GK, Bristol City Out of Contract (ex Yeovil)
Terrell Forbes D, Yeovil (out of contract)
Andy Welsh M, Yeovil (out of contract)
Len Bond Goalkeeping Coach Yeovil
Nathan Jones Yeovil Assistant Manager
Steve Thompson Bridgwater Assistant Manager (ex Yeovil asst)
Phil Jevons S, Huddersfield (ex Grimsby and Yeovil)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here