Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer Signings - Saisfied or dissapointed

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I've been impressed with the summer activity. I think it looks like a good side and squad being put together.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I am pretty pleased with what we have signed so far. The mass clearout at the end of last season was needed and there was only one or two I might have kept from that list but even with them I could understand the decision.

We have revamped the midfield completely (which was desperately needed) with the signings of Dicker, Crofts, Wright and Thornhill. There is probably still room for one more midfielder as well as Spiller (who I assume will sign as it would be harsh to keep him for three weeks and not offer him a deal).

Defensively, we are still short at full back. I know we are after a left back and hopefully will sign someone (Jake Wright sounds like a good option but may be quite expensive). Even if we signed a right back, it would mean Whing could play left back.

In central defence we are very strong and Tunnicliffe sounds like a great prospect. In goal, signing Graeme Smith sounds like a coup but my only concern is that he is given a chance rather than being barracked by the Kuipers crew and written off after one mistake.

Up front, I am optimistic that Dickinson will find his form for us and that we have a fantastic player for the present and future. Hopefully partnering Murray if he stays and is interested.

Overall, we seem to have bought in young players, many of whom are coming up to their prime and also have points to prove. That seems to me to be Slade's type of player and, judging by what he got out of Loft and Fraser at the end of last season, I am optimistic he can get the best out of the new signings who seem to have better pedigrees. I am excited about the new season but I also was last year and look what happened then!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think we have shown are intent, that we are not a big money club about to go splashing cahs and buy our way up. the club needs to be more less self sufficent, Blooms money is going towards our long term future. with reduced/no repayments to make we have more cashflow and im sure he'll chip in for transfers of key players should they arise, but otherwise we shouldnt rely on his cash.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
We are BUYING League 2 players as that is where we ARE heading with the Lardy Clown as manager.
I love all the MORONS on here saying SO and so is a GOOD signing when they have NEVER seen him play BEFORE.
I give Slade till half time against Walsall before the BOO's ring AROUND Withdean.

SLADE OUT

SACK THE BOARD

:angry::angry::angry:

If we are NOT three up inside 15mins I shall start booing then. No need to wait till half time! :yahoo:

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I know I'm pretty well alone here but our pre-season form worries me. Does anyone know what Slade's preferred style of play is historically, is it route one as I fear it may be?
I don't think so, he has said a couple of times in the argus he wants to play football, his Yeovil playoff final side were definitely a good footballing team.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Happy so far, but as the man himself says, there is still more work to do...

LB
LW
Would also like to see an attacking central midfielder on a perm deal...

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Happy so far, but as the man himself says, there is still more work to do...

LB
LW
Would also like to see an attacking central midfielder on a perm deal...

agree with that.

a left back, left winger, and a permanent attacking midfielder are needed. all seems to have gone a bit quiet at the moment regarding transfers.... hopefully Slade is working on a few surprises for us.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So far, so good I think. I don't expect all the signings to prove succesful but (hopefully) there should be more successes than failures. This year I reckon is about building a solid squad and next year will be bringing in the two or three top quality players that will make us genuine contenders.

Lips

Banned
Jul 23, 2009
I think all in all we have to be pretty satisfied with the transfer dealings to date. Greame Smith will prove to be a great signing especially on a free and will be good competition for Kuipers so between the posts i think we are where we need to be. Defence is looking strong aside from being short on cover at left back however im sure Slade will have this resolved before next season kicks off. My main concern is in midfield despite the signings we have made. Can safetly say that Dicker and Wright will prove good signings although i think the jury is going to have to remain out for the time being on Crofts. Thornhill is only in on loan so worst case scenario is we are going to be a body light come what January. Im very much against the use of loanees after the shambles of last season and the use of 40+ players. However if we keep it to a minimum then it shouldnt be a problem. I would like to see Slade look into the possibilty of bringing Bradley Johnson in as i believe he is exactly the type of player we now require in midfield. As for going forward i am more than happy. Forster despite his age will get goals when fit and Murray and Dickinson could turn into a prolific partnership. This assuming Murray stays of course. I still have my reservations about Craig Davies and would really like to see another striker come in as backup. To summarise i think this will be a season of vast improvement but as it stands i still think as far as promotion is concerned we are lacking the quality and cutting edge to achieve this

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I won't EVEN give them 15 mins , if the pre match KICK about is shit I'll start BOOING them then :angry::angry::angry:

HA

You are a club lackey......

I can feel myself booing NOW just anticipating a season of long ball hoofiness

SACK THE LARDY CLOWN

STEVIE COPPELL'S BLUE AND WHITE ( LADYBOY) ARMY

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not overly impressed with the signings to be honest. Think Smith is a bit of a coup but not really heard of the others. Trust Slade to get the right players in though, gutted about all the Ifill business and Lynch leaving, would have been a much better team with those 2 in.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Very happy with the Summer clear out - just about all of the dead wood gone now.

As for the new signings, as many have said, wait to see them in league action for a few games (OK, TWO games max) before casting judgement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here