Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer Signings - Saisfied or dissapointed

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Since the take over by Bloom and the realisation that he is a very wealthy man, are you satisfied with our summer signings, or did you think that we would be really pushing the boat out and signing players with largish fees and possibly showing our intent?

Personally, I think Slade has got it about right. Decent Championship players wont want to drop to this level, so we are looking at L1 and poss L2/Conf players. They don’t necessarily command fees, although to get them you need to pay good wages (which I think we are)

Any other thoughts?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
we dont know yet...i think Slade did extremely well keeping us up and then clearing out the people he thought were surplus to needs.

I think it will be interesting to see where we are by October to see if we have actually come forward.

Of course you could flip that on its head by suggesting he needs at least a year for his team to settle in

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Have we actually spent any money at all this summer yet.....?
I am very happy with the signngs but with the inevtable sale of Lynch the club maybe even in profit so far in transfer dealings.....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I am very happy with the signngs but with the inevtable sale of Lynch the club maybe even in profit so far in transfer dealings.....

Dickinson rumoured to be around £200k alone

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Most of Bloom's investment is for the stadium - our playing budget is stated to be about the same as last year which is pretty healthy in terms of this league but does not put us in among the big hitters.
Slade gets players who he thinks can play to his pattern - very high tempo/lots of energy and total committment - not necessarily the most skilled but we should play as much football as most and less hoofball than many.

We still need a playmaker - someone who can see options and make a telling pass. We also need a left winger and a left back. That aside , and assuming we sign up some of the triallists to give us strength in depth, we are not far off being where we need to be in terms of the squad.

Now the question is are we up for it?
The next two games - and especially the one at Scunny - will tell us more than anything we have seen so far.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
we dont know yet...i think Slade did extremely well keeping us up and then clearing out the people he thought were surplus to needs.

I think it will be interesting to see where we are by October to see if we have actually come forward.

Of course you could flip that on its head by suggesting he needs at least a year for his team to settle in

Is the right answer. I am reserving Judgement til the end of October meself.

Slade seems to be more interested in work ethic than total flair which was the problem last season IMO, he had turned it round just in time to avoid disaster at the back end of the season by relying on hard work and love of the shirt.

The Goon

Gully's Boy
Nov 24, 2008
Blowing up the Balloons!!!

Think we payed more for Dickinson than we recieved for Lynch? also payed a bit for tunnicliffe?

I personally am satisfied. Good Keeper, defender, few midfielders and a striker. Just want Jake Wright or a different left back in now and i think we'll finish between 7th and 12th (which would do me)

I think that in an ideal world we would be better off getting promotion next year and going into falmer on the back of that!

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Time will obviously tell in regards to signings....but I do still feel that were one or two short.

Im just a little concerned about the lack of quality in the midfield, obviously again...we will wait and see and maybe Wright and Dicker alongside the existing players we have will be enough but...that creative kind of player who can turn a game could be missing imho.

If cox isnt going to use his pace and run at defenders then he is not filling his potential in my mind and his place is under threat.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shame we didn't get the Stockport manager as well as the players imo. Having said that Slade deserves his chance, I just don't think he's as good a manager as Gannon SEEMS to be.

I know I'm pretty well alone here but our pre-season form worries me. Does anyone know what Slade's preferred style of play is historically, is it route one as I fear it may be?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We still haven't signed a midfielder in the Paul Rogers Richard Carpenter mould which is what I think that we need desperately. Other than that I cannot see too many problems as I think that we have players that can adapt to fill in as required. I think that with what we have just above midtable must be our aim with possible sniffing of the lower play off place.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Time will obviously tell in regards to signings....but I do still feel that were one or two short.

Im just a little concerned about the lack of quality in the midfield, obviously again...we will wait and see and maybe Wright and Dicker alongside the existing players we have will be enough but...that creative kind of player who can turn a gamecould missing.

If cox isnt going to use his pace and run at defenders then he is not filling his potential in my mind and his place is under threat.

I couldn't agree more...I think we're one quality signing away from being a force to be reckoned with next year.

I know people who've seen Dickinson play so far haven't been impressed, but his record at this level speaks for itself. There are comparisons to be drawn with when Garry Nelson signed up for us...in the pre-season I remember thinking how awful he was and then he hit 32 goals in the 87/88 season.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

A Year? Are you mad? If we're showing signs of struggling by mid-September I expect to see Bloom bring back Coppell 'before it's too late'.

:jester:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A Year? Are you mad? If we're showing signs of struggling by mid-September I expect to see Bloom bring back Coppell 'before it's too late'.

:jester:

OOOH Coppell....GREAT SHOUT!!!!!

Get rid of the Lardy Sladey Clown.....Coppell IN!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here