Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sullivan

Terminator1

Oct 4, 2008
Well done to Algie for his comments. If you start off a debate on NSC put some thought behind it first. Don't compare our goalkeepers, they are different. Kuipers is great at this level and his kicking has really improved and shot stopping is championship level.
Sullivan has been brilliant in his two games. I really hope he continues in the same vein. I would love him to compete with Kuipers in the next few years, meaning we do not have to look for another keeper.
I really like his physical presence and the way he continues to cajol and shout at his defence, like Kuipers does. Now I'm starting to compare. I'll stop now, keep going Sullivan, you've kept your place in the team.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If you start off a debate on NSC put some thought behind it first. Don't compare our goalkeepers, they are different.

I did and there is every reason to compare their attributes, called a debate FFS

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
It’s true that Sullivan has not been really tested in the 2 games in which he has played, and he has not been a fault for any of the 3 goals conceded during these games.

However, his kicking, vision and management of the defenders is far better that Kuiper’s. There are quite a few on here you rightly support Kuiper’s, and see Sullivan’s age and inexperience as weaknesses. Sullivan will not get experience unless he plays. Sending him out on loan to some outback to get experience is not the answer, indeed it may impact on his confidence, he needs experience in this division and/or above.

To those who sight Sullivan’s age and point to the fact that goalkeepers get better with age, I suggest that they look at teams like Man City, who have 2 very good and young keepers, one of whom has been No.1 for their first team over the last season and a half. Have faith, I believe Sullivan will come good, true he will have a couple of howlers, but these will be part of his learning experience.

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Despite the top form Kuipers is showing this season people keep on commenting on his goalkicking.Keepers are required to save shots from entering our net, if the manager considers his kicking is not up to standard then he will nominate another player to take goalkicks,end of story!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
if the manager considers his kicking is not up to standard then he will nominate another player to take goalkicks,end of story!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you tell me in any professional game when the keeper has ever not done goal kicks unless injured ?

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Well done to Algie for his comments. If you start off a debate on NSC put some thought behind it first. Don't compare our goalkeepers, they are different. Kuipers is great at this level and his kicking has really improved and shot stopping is championship level.
Sullivan has been brilliant in his two games. I really hope he continues in the same vein. I would love him to compete with Kuipers in the next few years, meaning we do not have to look for another keeper.
I really like his physical presence and the way he continues to cajol and shout at his defence, like Kuipers does. Now I'm starting to compare. I'll stop now, keep going Sullivan, you've kept your place in the team.

T1

My point.
Is that it is good for any team to have players competing for there place.
Not so good for the players when they are "one on one" for that place.
As Algie has said, Kuipers is sound.
How many other players would have done what he did today and encourage his replacement. Top Man.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm just glad we have two capable keepers now.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
It is, it's totally adequate. I wouldn't say it's a strong point, but (bar Hartlepool where the wind was absurdly strong) it's been fine for a long time now. There just seems to be this MYTH that he can't kick based on what happened YEARS ago.
From goal kicks and such he's fine, not exactly accurate, but it stays on the pitch. When it comes back to him he can still be a little dodgy, especially with a striker on him, and the old shovel foot can make an appearance. Sullivan's kicking certainly looks a lot better than Kuipers'. He has also dealt comfortably with crosses. He's yet to be tested as a shot stopper really. He's hardly made a save in two games, hasn't been at fault for any goal though.

He certainly looks the part though, he's bulked up and he is not quiet. At the very least he's shown he's a good backup keeper.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
The facts are that Kuipers has improved his kicking alot in the last few years and is now at the standard as any other keeper in the league.

In what way are those the "facts"?

I've only seen Clayton Ince this year who struggles with his kicking as much as Kuipers. As said earlier, a keeper who can kick accurately brings another element to our game.

Oct 25, 2003
It is, it's totally adequate. I wouldn't say it's a strong point, but (bar Hartlepool where the wind was absurdly strong) it's been fine for a long time now. There just seems to be this MYTH that he can't kick based on what happened YEARS ago.

yep, and at hartlepool their keeper had exactly the same problems

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I'd say it was adequate for a goalkeeper. When you see Sullivan quite literally dropping balls on the heads of our attackers, you know what we've been missing. Kuipers for all his amazing qualities has never been able to do that.

I'm sorry to say - but whenever we have another goalkeeper in the team whose distribution is better we seem to play differently. I'm not necessarily saying better, but there are patterns of play that start from the keeper that just don't exist when Kuipers plays. You then quite clearly realise that his distribution although improved, has never been up to much.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have made a point of applauding him from the touchline for both the last two games and giving him the :thumbsup: Still understudy to FDM IMHO, but at least we now know we have a plausible understudy, and he's probably here for a few years yet. Total respect to the boy :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here