Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

successful sports people from SUSSEX

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Can't remember their name, but the ? ex Landlord of the Sussex Pad in Shoreham.

His dad represented England at Boxing (first ever televised boxing match).

The landlord represented England at fishing.

The son represented England at BMX riding.

Wally pack ?

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
Born in Worcester

Born in Pembury, Kent

We can't quite get a post-war team of Sussex-born England cricketers - need Nash to get picked

Benson
Oakman
A Wells
Parks
Smith
C Wells (I know he didn't play a test but did play ODIs)
James Langridge
Thomson
Kirtley
Giddins

what about Paul WG Parker c midoff b robbie c ... went on to play for Sussex and England

Can't remember their name, but the ? ex Landlord of the Sussex Pad in Shoreham.

His dad represented England at Boxing (first ever televised boxing match).

The landlord represented England at fishing.

The son represented England at BMX riding.

That will be Wally Pack, they were all called Wally. I went to school with the BMX'er son, with a name like Wally you would think bullying would be a problem but he was 6 foot 2 when we were 12. We always won interhouse rugby with Wally on our team.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
CB Fry came to mind as a famous eccentric gentleman sporting type playing cricket for Sussex and England, footie for England and was joint holder of the world long jump record.

His party piece was to jump backwards from a standing position onto a mantel. CB Fry was allegedly fascinated by Hitler, tried to persuade the Germans to take up cricket and become a test playing nation - which is mind boggling....

But to my horror Wikipedia states he was born in Croydon....

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Like RobbieC I recall Paul Parker being one of those obnoxiously good all round sports types at school........especially footie, cricket & rugby.

A very competent batsman but probably best known for setting a new standard for fitness and sharp fielding when he became a fixture in the Sussex CC team. Only a foolish batsman would take on his arm for a leisurely single. He was ahead of his time - possibly only matched by Derek Randell and later Jonty Rhodes for athletic fielding. Shame he did not get a few more outings for England.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Julie Salmon from Brighton/Hove who reached 3rd round of Wimbledon.
Nick Buckfield from Crawley - world class pole vaulter
Chris Carter - Brighton - Olympic athlete in the 60s

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
This - I was sure he went to the same school as I did in Pound Hill, although I may have that wrong :thumbsup:

He was born in Watford, but brought up in Crawley and went to Hazelwick school. I know his parents and can confirm that his mother is not a parsnip

Yoda

English & European
Emma Perkins from Worthing, currently ranked no. 2 in the UK for the Women's High Jump and GB International. Only Jess Ennis has jumped higher.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
When I was at school we used to play against another School called Oak Hill. It was a borstal and so as you can imagine was always a tasty game!!

One of there most famous pupils was a certain Frank Bruno. So although not technically from Sussex he did attend school here.

This is true, Oak Hill is just outside Heathfield

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
He was born in Watford, but brought up in Crawley and went to Hazelwick school. I know his parents and can confirm that his mother is not a parsnip

ah, so at the least he went to the school I would have gone to if I'd stayed another year in Pound Hill, good enough for me :thumbsup:

Born in Worcester

Born in Pembury, Kent

We can't quite get a post-war team of Sussex-born England cricketers - need Nash to get picked

Benson
Oakman
A Wells
Parks
Smith
C Wells (I know he didn't play a test but did play ODIs)
James Langridge
Thomson
Kirtley
Giddins

Ok my bad, but brought up in Hastings, and went to my school William Parker, and played cricket for Hastings Priory CC since about 14 I think, I played against him, when he was 18 in the Hastings indoor cricket league.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Suzanne Dando from Uckfield. Olympic gymnast and 'Superstars' champion!

Since he was kind enough to say something nice to me the other day on NSC, I'll mention my lad, Dan - who has represented Great Britain in the European Triathlon Championships.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Amazed nobody has mentioned arguably the greatest one of all - Mr S Ovett. Or perhaps someone has and I missed it !

Zamoracomehome

Apr 12, 2010
Hove
Holly Colvin of the England women's cricket team is from Chichester and plays for England and Sussex. A mainstay in the team, and England are the dominant force in women's cricket.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here