Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Subbuteo

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Got LOADS in the loft. Used to have after school tournos and everyfink.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
pic163918_t.jpg

Anyone remember Test Match ? Now that was a board game i'd never get bored with.

That looks like the later version with the realistic bat. I had one of the earlier ones where you appeared to be given a hoover to play with.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Great post, has jogged memories from the distant past. My number 1 Subbuteo team was the Albion but repainted in the old '60s strip with the solid blue shirts and white sleeves.

Used to have Subbuteo leagues and tournaments with mates, especially on a wet winters afternoon when there was no live footie to play or watch. Looking back I guess it was the 60's/70's schoolboys version of football manager and FIFA 2011 rolled into one. Took it very seriously and we all used to have at least one spare team for use when there was shirt clash - for some reason I chose Uruguay with the pale blue shirts and black shorts & shorts, used to think that was the business. Must have had a visionary pre-Poyet moment. It was exotic having a South American team that wasn't Brazil. Spent ages practicing free kicks curling the ball over/around defensive walls. Even used to paint the Puma flashes on the players boots...... Hence I was chuffed when about 70/71 the Albion (in the Ken Beamish era) came very close to having a similar strip with striped shirts but very dark blue/almost black silky shorts and similar coloured socks, a similar combo to the later British Caledonian Adidas shorts/socks but with the classic stripey blue shirt. I used to think the Albion really looked the part in that strip. I recall someone posting a team photo from that era on here.

Sadly the teams were wiped out a few years later when my mates and I discovered air guns and in a rash moment had a Subbuteo player massacre afternoon. How ungrateful after the hundreds of hours pleasure they had given. Wish I'd kept them now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Did anyone ever play Wembley - it was a board game where you had to get your team through to the cup final. Used to live playing this - I think it was early 70s as I think Brighton were a division 2 side and it didn't include Aston Villa who dropped down to division 3

I used to have that. In fact, it was my present for passing the 11+ which shows how long ago it was (and Brighton were in the 3rd Division). I also had another board game - can't remember what it was called but I remember Alan Ball endorsed it.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
Leosayer;4518491 Did anyone ever play Wembley - it was a board game where you had to get your team through to the cup final. Used to live playing this - I think it was early 70s as I think Brighton were a division 2 side and it didn't include Aston Villa who dropped down to division 3 [/QUOTE said:
I used to love Wembley, great board game.

Anyone remember chart soccer?

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
Another game I spent hours on a kid in the late 70s was called LOGacta does anyone else remember this?

You used to create your own leagues and cups and play the whole season with a number of different dice. It was very addictive and tempting to cheat - Brighton were league champions several times !

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I had Gillette Cup which was a brilliant, but geeky boardgame with no particular skill required.

Never tired of filling in scoresheets.

gillette_cup_1small.jpg

I have a nasty feeling that it has since been disposed of and they can hit £60 - £70 on the market.

Will need to empty my folks' loft.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Another game I spent hours on a kid in the late 70s was called LOGacta does anyone else remember this?

You used to create your own leagues and cups and play the whole season with a number of different dice. It was very addictive and tempting to cheat - Brighton were league champions several times !

YES, I loved that game, really geeky nowadays no doubt and probably where I got my love of statistics. Still got it in the loft somewhere I think. Really complex rules but once you got going it was great.

log1.JPG

log3.JPG

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
We used to have this too:

ebay%20022.jpg

One member of my family used to play this all the time on his own so he couldn't lose to his brothers...

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Haha, that's quite freaky!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here