Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
'83 side
brighton_83.jpg

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is the one I was looking for, pre Waddingtons I believe and the small writing at the bottom says Tunbridge Wells. Mine was almost exactly the same as this although this one was a German version.

german_floodlighting_1.jpg

german_floodlighting_2.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Which was the game that you used to hit the heads of the players to kick the ball? Was that striker?

Oh and my brother had the world cup subbutteo edition...it had three layers in the box and awesome

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
and did anyone play this? i know I did..........

what a comb-over!

bc1.JPG

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
When I started, you had a red and a blue team as standard. Any other team you had to order by post from P Adolph in Tunbridge Wells. All my teams were stamped from flat celluloid sheet which you then had to glue into a slot in the base. Some of my mates had the older cardboard figures. The problem of playing on the carpet was that inevitably someone would kneel on a player and snap him in two. However, this had some benefits as when the top half was re-glued in to the base, you could achieve a more direct line with the flick than with a full height player. You had ten in a team with the goalies coming separately.
There were many heated arguments over 'shoving' (side of finger with longer contact with the player) instead of 'flicking'.
The only 'accessories' I can remenber was a travel box and smaller balls for the more skillful. How simple games could keep you occupied for all those hours!

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
pic163918_t.jpg

Anyone remember Test Match ? Now that was a board game i'd never get bored with.

I've never liked cricket. As a kid I hated it. But for some reason I always wanted this game. Asked for it every christmas, but, my mum and dad knowing I didn't like cricket probably thought we're not getting him that.

Saw it in western road argos for about 4 quid when I was around 26, finally, it was mine....

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
And what about Subbuteo Cricket? Now that was complicated and no wonder it never caught on.

I use to enjoy the cricket, but the bat was a nightmare especially with the amount of sellotape wrapped around it after being trod on. Ths bails never stayed on either.

I even had the Rugby - now that was crap

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
memories memories ... l can remember, as a kid, playing in a Subbuteo league, back iin the late 1960's, early 70's.

That is untiil my uncle came to visit, and not realising my beloved boys were set out on my bedroom carpet, proceeded to walk across it, crushing about half of the team underfoot.

The end result looked worse than the Munich aiir disaster!. Havent spoken to him since.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Still got a lot of mine. My 7 year old has been playing with it and enjoys it. The World Cup 78 goals with the coloured nets have snapped though.

My brother decided that the best way to fix the players back onto the base if they snapped, was to "solder" them with a match. This resulted in many of the teams we had from the early 70's having short-arse players. The one in the Leeds team was, of course, Billy Bremner.

I also bought a starter set when they announced it was stopping production 9 years ago, but that set was nothing like the quality of the ones when I was a kid.

Pbseagull

Sep 28, 2011
Eastbourne
diving goalies in super striker were the nuts..

Pic10402.jpg

I got World Cup Striker for Christmas in 1974, fantastic game, it had floodlights and a score board, but the diving goalkeepers were definately the best!

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
When I started, you had a red and a blue team as standard. Any other team you had to order by post from P Adolph in Tunbridge Wells. All my teams were stamped from flat celluloid sheet which you then had to glue into a slot in the base. Some of my mates had the older cardboard figures. The problem of playing on the carpet was that inevitably someone would kneel on a player and snap him in two. However, this had some benefits as when the top half was re-glued in to the base, you could achieve a more direct line with the flick than with a full height player. You had ten in a team with the goalies coming separately.
There were many heated arguments over 'shoving' (side of finger with longer contact with the player) instead of 'flicking'.
The only 'accessories' I can remenber was a travel box and smaller balls for the more skillful. How simple games could keep you occupied for all those hours!

Now that is going back a long way :)

As for the arguments, you should see some of the things that goes on at tournaments these days. The Italians do not know how to flick properly, they scrape or use the thumb to get extra puchase on the finger but try telling them that and you end up with fights :) I have seen an Austrian score a goal just after half time, run round the pitch cheering, punch the wall hard (it was in a sports centre and thought it was padded) and then have to play the second half with a broken hand. :)

I was asked a year ago by my 9 year old son if he could play as he knew I played. I never really asked him before as he always kept his head in computer games. Taught him the basic rules and he loved it. Few months later he played in his first under 12 tournament and came second.

If anyone fancies a game local to Brighton there is a club in Worthing that meets every Thursday night. If you are interested I will get you some details

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I have a rather large collection of Heavyweight teams from back in teh day. In fact, I don't think teh wife realised how much I'd re-collected back off Ebay, until we moved recently. Is 38 teams too many for a man of my age?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here