Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Subbuteo

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I've just been given a subbuteo set (Barca v Real Madrid) and the kids and I had great fun playing with it before bedtime - my first time for about 40 years.

Of course, my first thought was to look for a Brighton team set but was shocked to see that it was one of the four Championship teams not available. How come not all teams are available?

What's more bizarre is that you can get a streaker set - available in male and female. Who on earth would want to buy one of those?

Subbuteo's changed since I was a kid.

Lord Bamber

Legendary Chairman
Feb 23, 2009
Heaven
I still have an original brighton team. Subbuteo used to sell generic colours which were used for more than just one team. For example the sticker on my team is

Subbuteo 552
Brighton
Sheff Wed
Kilmarnock.

It was bought with xmas money from Gamleys in imperial arcade circa 1982

Elvis

Mar 22, 2010
Viva Las Hove
I remember as a kid when the subbuteo players changed from having bent knees to total straight legs IMO and of most subbuteo fans they were never as good (obvisoly cheaper to manufacture). I used to spend hours playing with my mates, does anyone remember the extras; the TV crew on a tower, the manager in the sheepskin, the strecher bearers........... God it takes me back!!!!!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
You can sometimes pick up Subbuteo stuff in Snoopers Paradise. I never found a Brighton team in the late 80s/90s, so ended up playing as Man City.

I did have an all weather pitch, which was daft, as I only ever played it indoors.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
At our Bowling and Tennis Club in Glasgow we have a Subbuteo Cub including Scottish and Hungarian internationalists. They all start all matches will 11 across the park in the middle. Very serious it is too.

TNBA

TTF

Sompting_Seagull

Jun 8, 2011
North Stand
I still have an original brighton team. Subbuteo used to sell generic colours which were used for more than just one team. For example the sticker on my team is

Subbuteo 552
Brighton
Sheff Wed
Kilmarnock.

It was bought with xmas money from Gamleys in imperial arcade circa 1982

Loved that shop, did the same in about 84. Floodlights and World cup trophy too.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The astroturf pitch was awesome as did not need ironing! I had a stand with fans in it as well.

However the set was sold as Tomy released this little gem which elipsed subbuteo

3900140197_bebbfe9cd2.jpg

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Haven't played subbuteo since TLO packed away the free play table upstairs in his shop. Took me ages to realise that he sold T-Shirts as well as being a place to play games:jester:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
My kids are really excited by the idea of real floodlights.
I have seen a S/H Brighton set from the 80s but it's £70 which is a bit steep for me

Still, don't know who'd buy a streaker set though

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh boy. I had flood lights, grandstand, terraces, tv tower thing, score board, corner kickers which were about 3 times the size of regular players and replica cups which were about 10 times the size of players. I never figured out what the latter was about. Fun times.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Nearest I get to subbuteo now is watching the Albion form the back of the WSU :laugh:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
My kids are really excited by the idea of real floodlights.

I must still have my floodlights up in the loft. My old man is keen to have a sort through. I can't imagine they would have been thrown away. I'll have a browse and on the off chance they have survived, they are yours. Probably best not to tell the kids just yet!

Leosayer

Aug 25, 2011
Kent
I used to play subbuteo all the time I wish we'd kept it all now my kids are at an age that they would like it.

I also remember another game with bigger players at the time where you used to press the players heads down to make them shoot. Can't remember the name?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here