Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stupid sayings that are blatantly WRONG...

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
An apple a day keeps the doctor at bay.

No amount of apples consumed or collected are going to help you avoid a trip to the clinic if some ho you've spunked up has given you the itch. And nor will said apples offer you any protection from being hit by a bus, after which a doctor would naturally be first point of call.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
roz said:
When was the last time you saw the last straw breaking a camel's back? It's rubbish that is. Because how does the camel know it's the last straw? Only if it asked nicely there's probably another box of them under the bar.

The same reasoning that clutching at straws will help.

If you are drowning, a couple of straws is no use at all.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
All cricketers will have heard the term "dropped catch"

If it was a fecking catch it wasn't dropped !!
Either it was a catch, or it was dropped - but it can't be a dropped catch surely ?

Feck sake ...

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
'You can't say fairer than that'

Yes I can, I just said it. Look, I can say it again.

'Fairer than that'

"dO BEARS SHIT IN WOODS".

Well, when was the last time you put a size 10 in bear poo?
Whilst going for a walk thru your local wood.

Bears are clean creatures and use the local wc's.

All roads lead to Rome?

No they don't. My old cul -de -sac ...................led to no where!

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Yorkie said:
The same reasoning that clutching at straws will help.

If you are drowning, a couple of straws is no use at all.

Yes,but,if you are only just out of your depth you could poke a straw above the surface and breathe until the water evaporates or the tide turns(or hell freezes over)and so escape a watery grave.Or avoid Dr.No's henchmen as James Bond did.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Rome wasn't built in a day.Certainly wasn't.Romans were too busy colonising other Eurodestinations in a pre- EU binge.Had the sense to brick the jocks in,too.Had probably seen their football,and got the whiff of haggis in batter from down Sauchiehall Street.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"That's obvious - even to a blind man on a galloping horse."

Rest assured, anything you say will be of very little interest to a blind man on a galloping horse. Chances are he will be too busy shitting his pants to pay any attention.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Stumpy Tim said:
"If [insert name] heard you, he would turn in his grave."

...He won't turn in his grave because he's dead

The former proprieter of my local Kebab bar turns in his grave. His relatives equipped his coffin with a rotating skewer.

It's what he would have wanted.

Last edited:

WATFORD O

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
SW6
Easy 10 said:
"A watched kettle never boils"

Well I've just made a round of tea, and as I couldn't be bothered to leave the kitchen while the kettle boiled, I stood there. Watching it. Sure enough, about 3 minutes later, the kettle had indeed boiled despite me not taking my eyes off it for so much as a SECOND. I proceeded to make some piping hot tea for my work colleagues.

Its a good job I'm not an eye mental, or I could easily have suffered severe burns and permanent scarring if I'd tested THAT little theory out. It's irresponsible, meaningless sayings like this that make my blood boil.

Gahhhnnn dahhhn (you hope):D

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Went to the pub the other day and the sign on the door said "Pull". So I went in and started chatting up the first good-looking woman I saw.

Didn't see any problem with that - until Mrs T failed to appreciate the funny side... :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here