Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stupid Claridge

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Yes Claridge, because it clearly makes sense to use our performance/result against a mid-table Premier League team to form that opinion, rather than our out-passing/out-playing of two middling Championship sides. If we were planning on jumping two divisions, with the same squad - then he may have a point. But we're not.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Claridge probably looked at the Stoke highlights and formed his views. A good pundit would also have looked at the Watford highlights before pontificating on our ability to mix it in a higher division.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Every single comment he makes seems to be either they've done well on their budget or they've done badly on their budget. Guy needs to stop comparing a cheat sheet of how much money he thinks they spend to a league table, and watch some football so he can form opinions.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I've got zero time for a pundit, that failed miserably as a manager. HOw can he be taken seriosuly, when he talks about managers or how teams should play, when everything he touched failed.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Claridge probably looked at the Stoke highlights and formed his views. A good pundit would also have looked at the Watford highlights before pontificating on our ability to mix it in a higher division.

Exactly. Much better teams than Brighton haven't coped with Stoke's set-pieces. I'm thinking Arsenal. Maybe they wouldn't cope in the Championship either.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Teams can't get promoted from L1 and thrive by continuing to play a passing game? Two words: Norwich. City.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Claridge - those who can, do; those who can't, become pundits.

The only pundits I take any notice of are those who've had experience and success as Managers. Therefore, Claridge falls into the same category as Shearer, Lawrenson, Hansen et al.

The likes of Venables, Strachan, Southgate - even Big Sam[!] are worth taking notice of because they've been there and done it. And as for that blonde, shark faced loon that played for us on loan during Adams second spell :facepalm:

Last edited:

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
I like this though from a Tranmere fan:clap:

As a Tranmere fan, I hardly expected my team to get any mention. However, as someone who regularly travels throughout the UK, I have managed to see some of the better teams in this league throughout the season.

Firstly, let me say how I totally disagree with Steve's description of either Brighton or Southampton.

Having seen the Saints play five or six matches, I can honestly say that they play in the same way, game in, game out. Because of this, then most sides are able to counter their style and nullify the threat from their undoubtedly talented strike force. My own team were able to make them look very ordinary, and certainly nowhere near automatic promotion candidates.

Brighton on the other hand, and completely the opposite of Steve's summing up on them, play football, not only on a skill level way above this league, but they are able to play and adapt their formation and style during a match, according to that played by the opposition. This is something that has never been witnessed in the lower league levels before, and they will be able to adapt the style in the Championship to gain further success. You have to credit the way that the club is run now.

Southampton have their work cut out to make second spot, and because they are reluctant to change their system, then I feel either Bournemouth or Charlton will be gaining the runners-up position. Whoever does finish second, they will be a long way behind Brighton.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Totally contradicts himself,

"What you can't do, and what I don't think is possible, is to play that way when you go up a division. They are beating sides up, there's no doubt about that, they are probably doing what QPR are doing to teams. They're having so much possession, and you know, teams can't get used to them".

So Albion are playing the way Championship leaders QPR are playing, but that way of playing won't work for us if we go up to the Championship because that way of playing doesn't work when you get promoted??

Confused.............Mr Claridge certainly is. :glare:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Both Swansea & Norwich play that way......both sitting in the playoffs

countrygull

Jul 22, 2003
Horsham
Steve Claridge's job is to be the only BBC pundit to promote the lower leagues: allowing every other BBC commentator or pundit to concentrate totally on the Premiershite. It's unfortunate, but not entirely surprising, that he has no idea what he's on about. Ignore every word he says, unless you truly believe that teams that play top quality football can't survive going up to play against teams that play......erm, quality football!!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Barcelona play a similar style and it works. It all depends on whether you have the quality of player with the intelligence to do it at the level you perform at. We have this at League One level, and I have no doubt that if we need to we'll sign the players that can do it at Championship level.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I guess if he'semployed by the BBC as a pundit, does that make him technically a civil servant?

If Steve Cabbage read this board today he would be cringing - just a load of contradictory nonsensical crap.

Used to have a modicum of respect for thr guy, all gone today.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Listening to Claridge, you just get the feeling that he is winging it. Does he even watch the teams he's pontificating about I wonder?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Claridge is about as interesting and insightful as those cringeworthy texts and emails they read out on the FL show

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
I like him, I think the blog is decent, he has an opinion whether you agree or not - to me he's the Alan Hansen of the League: explains footballing matters succinctly enough for me.

Plus when he played for us at West Ham he ran himself into the ground, I thought his attitude on and now off the pitch was a bloody good one. More power to his elbow say I.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Plus have you lot actually Listened to what he said? He explains why he thinks our style of play will need to change next season oh I can't be arsed getting involved in this - Jesus, some our fans can be arrogant cocks sometimes...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here