Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student rioter - going down

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Woollard did not hurt, injure or kill anyone, although it is undeniable that all three were possibilities – the third a rather slender one.

I'd imagine being hit by a fire extinguisher thrown from 7 storeys would result in death. Nothing slender about it.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I wonder what the reaction to this would be if he'd done it at a football match.

Or even if he wasn't so obviously middle class and just a little hoodie scrote off the estate.

I do feel a bit sorry for him. He's done something incredibly stupid and niave and he's ended up in YO. I know a couple of lads who were in feltham when they were younger and from the stories I've heard this lad won't get an easy time, lots more bullying than in grown ups prison apparently. He doesn't really belong there in the grand scheme of things, but he did what he did and he's going to have to grow up pretty quickly as he sound like a bit of a sap.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!

Why do I feel this woman is on his side because he is part of the middle class? I sort of wonder how broadsheets would have reacted had it been a working class person from the whitehawk estate? (just an example)
Also, her comment on death being slender is just bollocks. Had that hit one of the people below it would have most certainly killed somebody. The chance of injury would have been more slender in such a case.

BINNEYS BOOTS

Aug 22, 2008
So guy throws extinguisher off roof during demo,COULD have killed someone, within weeks banged up. Policeman whacks someone at demo who DOES die, months later........Oh nothing

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
Aaron Porter. Although probably on a personal level, a very nice bloke. He is an absolute f***ing tool and doesn't not deserve the right to be the student leader. He's done f*** all and has accepted defeat too fast. We cut the Coalitions majoirity by 75%, only 21 votes. And that was with poorly set up, repeated protests. Imagine what we could have done had we have had 50,000 in london for every single protest! The guy is a spineless leader and needs to be ousted. 2 Uni's have already passed a no confidence vote against AP and only 23 others have to vote before an election is held.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Aaron Porter. Although probably on a personal level, a very nice bloke. He is an absolute f***ing tool and doesn't not deserve the right to be the student leader. He's done f*** all and has accepted defeat too fast. We cut the Coalitions majoirity by 75%, only 21 votes. And that was with poorly set up, repeated protests. Imagine what we could have done had we have had 50,000 in london for every single protest! The guy is a spineless leader and needs to be ousted. 2 Uni's have already passed a no confidence vote against AP and only 23 others have to vote before an election is held.

I wouldn't call him a tool I would just call him a realist. He knows that the more students fight the more this adminstration will fight back and the cause is unwinable.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We cut the Coalitions majoirity by 75%, only 21 votes.

i think you are misguided if you think the protests counted for a single MP vote. it was just some of the Liberals wanted to stick to their stated policy. if students had mounted a longer protest they would have found the public agasint them, theres little interest in the cause for most the population.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
i think you are misguided if you think the protests counted for a single MP vote. it was just some of the Liberals wanted to stick to their stated policy. if students had mounted a longer protest they would have found the public agasint them, theres little interest in the cause for most the population.

This is about right for me.

The problem is some students think they are on some noble revolution to save us from the nasty government who are cutting everything they can get the hands on. They fail to realise that we elected this government to do just that! In princaple, most of the country agrees with what this government is doing. I'm not discounting the very slender majoraty of suport this government has though, but we live in a democracy and majoritys are what counts in that business.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
There are some students who go for the education and work hard but tbh 80% of them go because there is nothing else to do, the cheap booze, endless parties and shagging opportunities.

This sums up my 3 years at uni quite well, other than the fact I did manage to get a decent degree and decent job at the end.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Disagree I think the strength of the demonstration would have shocked a lot of MP's, and at the very least reminded the lib dems what they stood for at the election. If there was no protest, or a milder one I suspect the the majority would have been larger.

Disagree I think the strength of the demonstration would have shocked a lot of MP's, and at the very least reminded the lib dems what they stood for at the election. If there was no protest, or a milder one I suspect the the majority would have been larger.

I agree that it had an impact, but I'm not sure that a bigger demonstration would have done more, as I think the students were already pretty close (if not past) the tipping point in terms of public support. The last protest (on the day of the vote) has seemingly turned a lot of people away from the students.

Incidentally, that Guardian article is mental. Some of the comments are brilliant, but I think this is my favourite...
That nobody was hurt or killed was down to random chance, not to his action. I look forward to reading your argument that those who drive over the limit should be treated leniently because their chances of actually hitting anybody are rather slender.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here