Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Student rioter - going down

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The facts are a lot of the protesters went along for a jolly and a rumble. A lot of them did not even know the basis facts of the proposals when asked. To smash the place up and attack Charles and Camilla shows them up for what they are.

Oct 25, 2003
anyway, as for this little prick, what he did was stupid almost beyond belief, he's f***ed up his life for one moment of madness..........plus imagine if he'd actually KILLED someone

what a twat

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I'm glad that the idiot got put away - you cannot go around throwing fire extinguishers off tall buildings !
I think that the sentence DOES fit the crime - people could well have died.
It was suggested by someone on the radio this morning - I don't know how true it is and perhaps someone who knows something about the law could advise - that the sentence was that length as it would stay on his record for ever. A lesser sentence would be erased from his record after a certain number of years. Basically the kid will be pretty much unemployable when he does come out of prison.
Seeing that one of their number has a) been put away for a number of years and b) probably won't be able to get a job because of having a record will make people think twice about rioting in London. You cannot go around doing this sort of thing and remain unpunished. If the judge had said "You were silly but feelings ran high and I fine you £x and do a couple of months community service" that would have left the door open for many more cases - handing down a harsh sentence will hopefully do what it is intended to do and that is act as a deterrent.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
I agree TL but the students and student union hardly came out and condemned them infact quite the opposiite

Sussex condoned it. Which I found disgraceful.
But I know a lot of other universities that condemned it. Even Essex, which is known to be one of the activist universities, condemned the troubles. Of course the media didn't report on those condemning the trouble, wouldn't sell papers would it?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
That is a very long time to go to jail for that I think, what he did was wrong but getting a long custodial sentence for something he didn't plan to do, in the heat of the moment seems a bit excessive.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I made it up but I think there maybe a grain of truth in it.

One grain in the entire sandbox does not make it the rule. The money involved, the debt you get, the stress of getting through A levels just for a three year long piss up?

Get real.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
One grain in the entire sandbox does not make it the rule. The money involved, the debt you get, the stress of getting through A levels just for a three year long piss up?

Get real.

The only people who would are the ones who haven't heard that, although you may not have loads of hours of contact time, you do have at least 40 hours of reading to do per week. Or maybe I just have a ridiculously difficult course.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thats because some of the regular more 'colourful' characters who populate this board with f*** yous, and you c***, are probably either still in bed, down the job centre, at the DSS or at lectures.

Well, this statement has certainly turned out to be true!!:laugh:

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
The only people who would are the ones who haven't heard that, although you may not have loads of hours of contact time, you do have at least 40 hours of reading to do per week. Or maybe I just have a ridiculously difficult course.

As it happens don't you take a science? That would be a shit load! :lolol:

Oh don't forget balancing that with a job.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
As it happens don't you take a science? That would be a shit load! :lolol:

Oh don't forget balancing that with a job.

I take a 'social science.' Politics, which is fine until you have to learn all the terminology, every single theorist, what they believe etc. etc. Not as easy as people say lol.
Oh yes, with the job I've discovered sleep isn't as essential as you first believed it to be.

If it's the guy that threw the fire extinguisher off the roof then he can have no complaints, it was dumb, dangerous and could have killed someone or at worst seriously injured someone. Seemed like an inevitable outcome. Other than that no thoughts really.

"KILLED SOMEONE OR AT WORSE SERIOUSLY INJURED"

I think given the choice I would regard being killed as worse than being seriously injured

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree TL but the students and student union hardly came out and condemned them infact quite the opposiite

Don't let the facts get in the way of a post....

They condemned the violence very quickly, the president was all over the media that evening doing so. A statement was placed on their website, prior to any news about the fire extinguisher being thrown.

The reality is that the core protesting students don't have a lot of time for the Union.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here