Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

stuart pearce

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I think Pearce is a good contender, English, passionate, knows the players well. Even though we lost last night, i thought we did great and it was actually fun to watch England, which is a change. Fielding such a young team against a starting 11 world cup team, i thought we did great. England looked a lot more positive, and were pushing forward with the ball and looked dangerous.

Good times ahead...i hope!

Pearce gave up being passionate years ago. He is not a passionate manager. Have you not noticed?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Maybe I'm missing the point here, but wasn't last night's match a friendly? Had we played 'old heads' we may well have won, but the manager (or any future manager watching) would have learnt nothing. We already know what Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard can do.

Rooney is out for the first two matches of the Euros and we need to find a solution - we won't do that whilst playing Rooney. Not to mention the fact that Rooney is injured and Terry and Ferdinand are only just returning from injury.

Last night we learnt that not all, but a lot of the youngster have something that can be developed for the future. We also learnt that they need to learn to communicate and concentrate directly after scoring or conceding - we let in two goals within 90 seconds of another goal being scored. Whoever the manager is will be able to work on this during the next England meet up.

Come the Euros, I'm sure we will see a stronger team as a result of the lessons from last night. I genuinely think that last night's friendly was a positive. Yes we lost, but the manager will have a better idea of who is ready for competition football and also where old head will be required.

Maybe I'm missing the point here, but wasn't last night's match a friendly? Had we played 'old heads' we may well have won, but the manager (or any future manager watching) would have learnt nothing. We already know what Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard can do.

This. I think we learnt quite a few useful things from last nights game.

Leighton Baines is not an international-quality left back.
Chris Smalling is not yet a good enough centre half for the national team (certainly against the top nations).
Parker and Barry can play together without it getting too defensive.
Daniel Sturridge is good enough to play for England.

I thought the tactics looked pretty good - definite shape and you could see that Pearce wanted them to keep it on the deck and play decent passing football.

Maybe it's the 'new manager bounce', but I thought yesterday was the best I'd seen England play in a while (perhaps since those Croatia games in the WCQ). Some of the new players came off, some didn't, but that's to be expected. I'm certainly glad that he played these new guys rather than sticking to the old guard.

P.S. Happy birthday strings!

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
He is completely and utterly the wrong choice for England manager. Make no bones about it. It would be a disaster.

HOWEVER; something stirred in me, seeing him stood tall in the dugout with the 3 lions on his chest. It was a feeling that I haven't had for a while whilst watching England. A childhood hero of mine was managing England. Someone who really knew what it meant to play for England. This still makes the hairs on my neck stand up on end

stuartpearce96PA_450x300.jpg

Let's also not forget that he was probably one of the best left backs in the world on his day and he scored 20 goals in a season for Forest from left-back.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Pearce is not the problem, nor necessarily the answer. It's simply that we don't have enough quality players, as is shown whenever we play a top side. I don't know why people thought this would change in one friendly. We were second best in all areas last night, none of our players have that little bit of quality that the Dutch showed for all three of their goals.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
Pearce is not the problem, nor necessarily the answer. It's simply that we don't have enough quality players, as is shown whenever we play a top side. I don't know why people thought this would change in one friendly. We were second best in all areas last night, none of our players have that little bit of quality that the Dutch showed for all three of their goals.

I dont think things will change instantly, but a mix of the old and new and i think we have a really strong team. With the likes of Gerrard, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Rooney, their experience combined with the quality of Ashley Young, Wilshere, Welbeck, Sturridge etc i truly think we have a team that COULD compete for the Euros, not saying we will, because we are England and always seem to choke, but i think its promising.

Plus remember, it was a VERY young, inexperienced England side against probably a Dutch starting 11.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I'm pretty sure that Brighton lost a few pre-season friendlies this year, I dont remember people calling for Gus' head because of it.

We wont win the Euros this time around, despite what the press try and make you belive. What we should be doing is using this as experiance for the youngsters that will take us to the World Cup in Brazil. Get them playing together and give them a taste of what competition Football is all about.

Lets not forget that this Holland team were ranked number 1 in the world a while ago (I think) and came runners up to Spain in the last world cup! Any team playing against Van Perse, Robben, Kuyt and Snijder (sp?) amongst others is going to struggle.

Let Pearce have the job until after the Euros and then they can decide what to do.

Will 'arry really be able to do any better in the 2 months he will be England manager before the Euros?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
sat through it more out of curiosity than anything else. Played marginally better than I thought we would, having watched Pearce's tactics in last summers' U21 tournament. But there is still this underlying niggle that it's like watching a Premier League game, which, in part is why we're under-achieving. Even my other half agreed that listening to the names of the Dutch players....you see the majority of them of a weekend. In my youth, there was a certain amount of mystique about watching players from all over, that you only ever read of, never saw play. The world of football has certainly become more accessible.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
So we change the manager and we are supposed to automatically be better than the runners up of the last world cup? Some people are deluded.

This. Not forgetting it wasn't exactly the usual team.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. The Dutch team that started included 9 World Cup Finalists - they are the finished article, we are not.
2. If Pearce is manager for the Euros we're out in the group stages.
3. Pearce is a defender - at times England defended like (unts. Stood off the ball, didn't close down, gave them time to turn, look up and pick out a pass. Total schoolboy stuff.
4. We won't win WC 2014 in Brazil so I'd really love Redknapp to be able to pick who the f*** he likes just for this one tournament.
5. For all I care Redknapp could pick old boys Glen Johnson, Rio, Parker, Lampard, Joe Cole, Lennon, Crouch and Defoe and England would still pose more of a threat in the tounament than last night's mob.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
How can anybody rave about last nights performance. We were tactically inept and needed some of the old heads in the team to guide them through. I am not a great admirer of JT but had he or Ferdinand been in the defence they wouldn't have scored their 3rd goal. How can we start a game without arguably the best left back in the world.

Players don`t win cups and leagues teams do, last night they played well as a team considering the amount of game time together they have had.Stick with Pearce he and his young team will come good but it will take patience from the fans and the scum that are called the press, we do not want to change managers for every tournament we need someone with an 8 to 12 year plan Pearce is young enough for that.

Mackerboy

Sep 20, 2011
We are shit anyway and got nO chance of winning anything so leave Harry at spurs and give Pearce the chance to bring the youth through so they have experience before world cup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here