Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Striker?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Origi is not a Potter player. His passing and all round game is not close to someone like Maupay. Yes he is fast, strong and clinical in front of goal but he couldn’t drop deep as an No.10 or go our wide (like a Nunez or Edouard) and perform to the level we need. West Ham is a superb fit for him with their style though.

From what little I've seen of him, he is a perfect graham potter type centre forward. he's big, fast and scores goals and wants to get his career going again.

Against Barcelona, when Liverpool won 4-0 he was man of the match, playing in the middle of a front 3. His heat map from that match shows he can definitely drop deep and pull out wide.

divock.jpg

For someone his age, he has hardly played, so loads of miles left in his legs.

He's scored an average of a goal every 2.5 matches throughout his career and has outscored his xG in that time.

For that price and with his pedigree, I would be amazed if we haven't made discreet enquiries.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
None of them really excites me... but I'd prefer the latter two (mostly because of Nketiah). Dont you could get them both for £30m though.

Nunez is mid 30's in sterling (or benficas demands are)

Edouard is reportedly 18 million, that would leave 17 for Nketiah.

Agree with BV's thoughts on wages, but would be great to get 2.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
In terms of timings here, Benfica are not going to do think about the Nunez transfer until after their CL qualifying game against PSV on the 24th Aug.

Celtic will be flogging Edouard on the last day of the window no doubt, no one wants to pay more than £10m, Celtic need to be forced to accept that and they will be in a few weeks.

Unless another realistic target pops up, we’ve got at least 2 weeks to wait for anything to happen here.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
In terms of timings here, Benfica are not going to do think about the Nunez transfer until after their CL qualifying game against PSV on the 24th Aug.

Celtic will be flogging Edouard on the last day of the window no doubt, no one wants to pay more than £10m, Celtic need to be forced to accept that and they will be in a few weeks.

Unless another realistic target pops up, we’ve got at least 2 weeks to wait for anything to happen here.

This might be right - though I’d add that as well as options narrowing for the clubs, it’s also about narrowing options for the players. For example, like it or not, I suspect we aren’t Edouard’s dream destination. But if rumoured interest from Roma, Arsenal, Villa, West Ham etc doesn’t amount to anything, I suspect he’d prefer coming to us and play in the PL than stay where he is.

mike1901

May 12, 2017
This might be right - though I’d add that as well as options narrowing for the clubs, it’s also about narrowing options for the players. For example, like it or not, I suspect we aren’t Edouard’s dream destination. But if rumoured interest from Roma, Arsenal, Villa, West Ham etc doesn’t amount to anything, I suspect he’d prefer coming to us and play in the PL than stay where he is.

Well Potter has said to the Argus he’s pleased with his options, I guess preparing us for the inevitable know striker coming in message. I don’t think there were many options to start with, Gonzalez being the prime target then trying there hand at Getting Nunez again. Edouard is still not an option according to Andy Naylor. I think the club needs a different approach may be when it comes to getting strikers, we can’t guarantee that our defence are always going to be our saviour.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
What about Diego Costa? Not attached to any club - no fee but large wages for sure. Could be worth a punt if we offered him a way back to the Prem.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Well Potter has said to the Argus he’s pleased with his options, I guess preparing us for the inevitable know striker coming in message. I don’t think there were many options to start with, Gonzalez being the prime target then trying there hand at Getting Nunez again. Edouard is still not an option according to Andy Naylor. I think the club needs a different approach may be when it comes to getting strikers, we can’t guarantee that our defence are always going to be our saviour.

I’m somewhat clinging to Naylor’s ‘at this time’ caveat. I suspect Edouard doesn’t want to come here while he believes he may have a better option (I doubt he’s alone in that). It’s probably where we are in the food chain today. The worry in defence is that we look weaker there than last year as well without White and apparently no one ready to step up. We’re surely not going in with Duffy back in the fold…

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
From what little I've seen of him, he is a perfect graham potter type centre forward. he's big, fast and scores goals and wants to get his career going again.

Against Barcelona, when Liverpool won 4-0 he was man of the match, playing in the middle of a front 3. His heat map from that match shows he can definitely drop deep and pull out wide.

View attachment 139367

For someone his age, he has hardly played, so loads of miles left in his legs.

He's scored an average of a goal every 2.5 matches throughout his career and has outscored his xG in that time.

For that price and with his pedigree, I would be amazed if we haven't made discreet enquiries.

I have to say I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SAC

May 21, 2014
What about Diego Costa? Not attached to any club - no fee but large wages for sure. Could be worth a punt if we offered him a way back to the Prem.

He's only 32 and would be great. I can't believe that he would get anywhere close to his reported £200k a week wages in Brazil so wages could have been negotiated. I don't follow Spanish football, not sure why he hasn't played that much in the last four seasons. He could also rival Dunk for picking up the most red cards in a season.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Did you bother to read the article: Potter is clearly talking about defensive options.

We definitely need a new striker and I am sure Potter can see that.

I agree, and have suggested for months, that we need to change our approach for striker acquisition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
its an innocuous quote where he praises his various defenders/pre-season. He says nothing about viability or desire for new transfers. He never does.
https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/19507421.graham-potter-likes-brightons-options-new-season/

Hilarious isn't it ? We've got an increasingly large number of fans who over-analyse, misinterpret, cling to or get excitedly or manically depressed about literally any single word uttered by anyone connected (and sometimes not connected) with the club despite not having the faintest idea what those responsible are actually doing. Love how they all seem to know better too.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I’m somewhat clinging to Naylor’s ‘at this time’ caveat. I suspect Edouard doesn’t want to come here while he believes he may have a better option (I doubt he’s alone in that). It’s probably where we are in the food chain today. The worry in defence is that we look weaker there than last year as well without White and apparently no one ready to step up. We’re surely not going in with Duffy back in the fold…
Well, with Ostigard gone who else is to be promoted into a central defensive role if/when Dunk or Webster get crocked or suspended?!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well, with Ostigard gone who else is to be promoted into a central defensive role if/when Dunk or Webster get crocked or suspended?!

Why did they loan out Ostigard ? they were under no pressure to do so ? What do you think it tells us ?
I don't think the answer = give Duffy another chance . Do you think its that ?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Hilarious isn't it ? We've got an increasingly large number of fans who over-analyse, misinterpret, cling to or get excitedly or manically depressed about literally any single word uttered by anyone connected (and sometimes not connected) with the club despite not having the faintest idea what those responsible are actually doing. Love how they all seem to know better too.
I guess it depends on their opinion, fans who somehow think as it stands a weaker squad than last season is somehow going to do better or that Andone is suddenly not going to be shit and save the day is also hilarious to some.

This place would be quite boring if we all agreed on everything club related.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Why did they loan out Ostigard ? they were under no pressure to do so ? What do you think it tells us ?
I don't think the answer = give Duffy another chance . Do you think its that ?
Unless by some twist, they think Roberts gained enough from a relegation year with Rochdale to enable him to step up if needed.... I have my doubts.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

That’s my point. Ostigard clearly not seen as ready (perhaps surprisingly) when most here thought he may be the White replacement. If it’s not him or Roberts then we do need to sign someone (or go with Duffy…)

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
....or,.... We've got an increasingly large number of fans who seemingly have decided that any opinion other than their own, has zero validity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here