Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker solution exists within the squad

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I have felt this for a while but I genuinely believe that we have a potential solution to our striker dilemma within the current squad.

I would love to see Will Buckley play as the outright striker with CMS feeding off and around him.

Will is over 6 foot so has the height, he's one of the quickest players in the squad and lets be honest we know from last season that he has a cool head in front of goal and doesn't miss too many when he gets a clear opportunity.

While not in the same calibre - I genuinely feel that he could be converted into that role in the same way Wenger converted Thierry Henry - who joined Arsenal as a wide player and ended up becoming the clubs record goalscorer as a striker.

(naturally this is a potential solution when Will is fit of course before anyone shouts about him being injured at the moment. We could sign a big name from the Premiership who could then get injured - just ask Blackburn who lashed out on Leon Best and is now out for 6 months !)

:smile:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I tell you what, in the past I would have disagreed but CMS's touch was SO assured last night that I was just BEGGING to see Will SURGING past him waiting to be FED.

I still think we need a prescence up there, but it's certainly not doom and gloom if it somehow doesn't happen. Buckley is a class act.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
William, William Buckley runs through the middle for me, der der, der der der...

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Also, on FIFA I play with Buckley and CMS as a pair up front and they score loads, so it must work in real life too

Jan 21, 2012
Totally agree. Buckley up front would be brilliant. If we don't sign a new striker we just might get to see this (hopefully).

shaolinpunk

Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
CMS's touch was SO assured last night that I was just BEGGING to see Will SURGING past him waiting to be FED.

The moment when CMS dropped deep, rolled his defender then play it through for Bridcutt's run would have been perfect has Bridcutt been Buckley

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
I would love to see Buckley upfront with CMS feeding. CMS's first touch last night showed improvement in the first half. My eyesight is terrible so I couldn't see much of it last night in the 2nd half - but nonetheless, we've seen some improvement.

DPM0395

Aug 11, 2011
London
good shout. Although I've seen little encouragement that he possesses the physical presence to match his height; if that target man is what we're looking for. Def has a cool head in front of goal as we've all witnessed. I'd also be a little worried about his injury proneness, think whoever does play that role has to play most, if not all games.

Hoskins has not been told that he does not have a future at the club. Gus was more that happy with him pre season. If he can stay fit he will score plenty. Buckley for me is more important to the team than Vicente and he'll be ready for Saturday.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
It's not a discussion we need to have, Gus clearly things our best player is best played isolated alone up front, with Harley and Noone providing him with service :facepalm:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I would love to see Buckley upfront with CMS feeding. CMS's first touch last night showed improvement in the first half. My eyesight is terrible so I couldn't see much of it last night in the 2nd half - but nonetheless, we've seen some improvement.

Should have gone to spec savers?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I tell you what, in the past I would have disagreed but CMS's touch was SO assured last night that I was just BEGGING to see Will SURGING past him waiting to be FED.

I still think we need a prescence up there, but it's certainly not doom and gloom if it somehow doesn't happen. Buckley is a class act.

I'd go along with that. Sounds good to me.

clif26

Oct 18, 2010
I did, they wanted to charge me £25 for an eyesight test, I'm blind in one eye, and wouldn't give a discount - poor service! The cheek of it..

I had an identical experience. A disgraceful company.
Oh, and we don’t need a striker - just a goalscorer.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Am I the only one who thinks CMS and Buckley are too similar to be a striker partnership. Both quick, both can be guilty of a poor touch every now and again. I don't think there's enough balance there for a successful partnership.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here