Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Striker solution exists within the squad

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Am I the only one who thinks CMS and Buckley are too similar to be a striker partnership. Both quick, both can be guilty of a poor touch every now and again. I don't think there's enough balance there for a successful partnership.

Buckley can score goals as a winger so would prob get alot more if played as a forward.

CMS can't score goals at all as a forward.

So no they are not similar.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Buckley can score goals as a winger so would prob get alot more if played as a forward.

That doesn't necessarily follow logic. Most of his goals are from him arriving late with the ball slowly rolling back to him, from the edge of the box. Who knows if he's smart enough to be man marked and still make space for himself? Who knows if his positional sense is good enough? He wouldn't be able to use his pace in the midst of a congested opposition defence.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Maybe Gus should play FIFA every night to see what happens if he dropped Barnes and Dicker like some people seem to think.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
Buckley doesnt appear to stay fit long enough to be considered as the answer for a striker....good player though

That doesn't necessarily follow logic. Most of his goals are from him arriving late with the ball slowly rolling back to him, from the edge of the box. Who knows if he's smart enough to be man marked and still make space for himself? Who knows if his positional sense is good enough? He wouldn't be able to use his pace in the midst of a congested opposition defence.

This. I'm sure Gus is smart enough to have thought this through himself, and who knows he might have tried it on the training ground. Only time will tell if he's our solution but I think probably not. His main attributes are pace and the good old square ball cutting inside a defender. As a target man striker these aren't needed anywhere near as much. I think we need him still as a winger to lose a couple of defenders and float a ball to the back post for [the target man] or CMS.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This is agreat shout. Totally agree. Although would rather sign a striker this would definitely do. Reminds me of when during the old days when we were short of a big man up front I turned to my mate and said I don't know why he doesn't put Virgo up front. The very next match he did and for half a season Virgo was great there.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I tell you what, in the past I would have disagreed but CMS's touch was SO assured last night that I was just BEGGING to see Will SURGING past him waiting to be FED.

I still think we need a prescence up there, but it's certainly not doom and gloom if it somehow doesn't happen. Buckley is a class act.

Agree with the comment regarding CMS - looked much more threatening I thought and just a matter of time before it starts to happen for him. Shame Buckers (as Gus insists on calling him) is injured but more than any other player I think he has something to offer that can turn us from being pretty ineffectual to being a genuine attacking threat. When he is fit I think he can slot in to Noone's place even though I though that (finishing aside) he looked to be on his best form since last autumn

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
has lewis dunk ever played up front in his junior days?

him & cms,could be our very own toshack & keegan

remember paul warhurst being used by sheff.wed as an emergency forward and he couldn' stop scoring

CC2

Nov 9, 2008
One problem with Buckley as a centre forward, he is literally terrified of heading the ball. Most out and out centre forwards will score many goals with their head, particularly from set pieces.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
has lewis dunk ever played up front in his junior days?

him & cms,could be our very own toshack & keegan

remember paul warhurst being used by sheff.wed as an emergency forward and he couldn' stop scoring

Virgo would have been a more obvious example. Before your time...?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here