Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strangest Albion Game Ever Attended

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
John Boy said:
It'll have to be the York game in 1996

I agree with that, but also there is another game I can also remember Bristol Rovers Home at the Goldstone Ground, absolutely chucking it down all day and night. The pitch was like a bog, the ball wouldn't travel along it when you passed it.

God knows how the referee didn't call it off.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Watching Slade have a video recorded for another comeback before a match against Burnley in the 80's.
I remember a few of us in the North Stand starting "Merry Xmas Everybody", happy days.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
fatfingers said:
I recall a game at the goldstone , think it was against QPR or reading were both teams were in brighton kits or something like that?

Yes it was Reading.

I think the story was that their away strip was blue and yellow hoops which the referee thought would clash with Albion's blue & white stripes. Reading were asked to wear Albion's change strip (the red/white "Chewit" wrapper combo) but their Chairman was not happy that their sponsors would not be visible. Albion agreed to play in the away strip and promptly went on to lose their first home game of the season!

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Brighton Reserves vs Soton Reserves as a kid in the 80's. It was so foggy, you couldn't see half the pitch, me and my mate walked away thinking we had won 4-0, in fact, they had scored twice and it was 4-2, we just didn't see the goals or the fact they had gone back to the centre to kick off!

chips and gravy

Jan 5, 2004
worthing
Uncle Buck said:

Plymouth away in 1994, about 100 of us there, just before Christmas, Codner scored from 45 yards, Akinbyi did a summersault when he scored, police had to keep us in the ground as the local were hiding in the trees outside the away end and the Fatty Taxman got locked in the ground after the rest of us had been allowed out.

I was at that one - it was drizzly rain all the way through on an open terrace. I lived there then and spent a whole winter completely damp as it rained every day for three months!

The strangest games I went to other than that were Torquay away on New Years Day 1997, which was the coldest game I ever attended! Thick frost everywhere and during our nightmare last season at the Goldstone where we couldn't get any results away. All the standing fans were ushered into the seats so that we could huddle together and keep warm. Gary Nelson scored for Torquay and I was convinced we would be in the Conference at the end of the season.

The game against Newcastle at the Goldstone in 1991 when we won 4-2 with all four scored by Bryan Wade. Whatever happened to him?

The Rochdale game just before Christmas in the first season at Withdean. Cullip was dropped, came on as sub after half an hour, helped us equalise from 2-0 down and then losing 4-3 after we looked like we had turned the game around. Oh, and it hosed down for the whole game and I got so wet that I didn't dry out on my 70 mile trip back to north Kent, where I lived then.

Lastly, almost any game at Priestfield. I was probably the nearest fan to the ground as I lived in a house only two streets away! I used to leave home at 2.50pm and walk straight into the ground. I lived so close I could have gone home for a half time cup of tea and always made it home for the official results on Grandstand. Yet, I yearned to go to games in Brighton. Took me a long time to get over the Goldstone experience.....

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Bakesy, probably the only time when we didn't even bother to offer to sing a song for the opponents and just went ahead and did it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mellor 3 Ward 4 said:
Swindon away in the mid to late seventies.

Pissing down with rain, game in doubt.

Rumour has it that Mullery had already been told the game was off, so sent the boys for fish and chips, although quite how a ref says a game is off and then changes his mind is hard to believe.

So the Ref then decided to play the game - we were useless and were 4-0 down and it started to rain again - although it was really no worse than when the game started.

Ref abandons game!

Swindon fans not happy!

Think we went back there and replayed the game after we had already got promoted.

The police came around and told us that the ref was gouing to give it 5 mins of the 2nd half and then call it off, which he did.

Lost the replayed game about 6- 2 I think so didnt gain a lot.

I drove down from North of Scotland ona Wednesday and stopped for a cuppa and bought a paper and didnt realise that it was Tuesdays paper and saw BHA playing away to Brentford so I put my foot down to get to the game. Arrived at Brentford 6.45pm all in darkness went into the pub and found out the game had been played the night before and we lost 2 - 0 checked the paper and saw that it was Tuesdays paper. When you buy your paper do you check it is the right days paper or do you assume it is?

Stumpy Tim

Boxing Day at PissField... 3-0 down to Colchester at half-time, half the main stands went home then... drew 4-4 with Emblem netting a hatrick. Would have been an awesome game if we weren't f***ing MILES from home & with no support... and we moan about Withers eh

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Got held up in traffic once and arrived at The Goldstone 5 mins late,as I was going in I heard a slight cheer and said to the gateman ' sounds like a goal down already' to which he replied 'goal down thats the 3rd one '. We lost to Bristol Rovers 3 - 1.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Stumpy Tim said:
Boxing Day at PissField... 3-0 down to Colchester at half-time, half the main stands went home then... drew 4-4 with Emblem netting a hatrick. Would have been an awesome game if we weren't f***ing MILES from home & with no support... and we moan about Withers eh

I seem to remember the Albion and the crowd urged on by a fairly merry if not drunk Attila and or Paul Samrah over the loudspeaker system whilst the game was being played in 2nd half. Not the best sportsmanship but who cared at the time.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Too many to pick! But the one that was first to my mind was the Palace v Brighton penalties Kevin Morton farce of a game. Unbelievable.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Palace 2-1 Brighton in 1988 Kelvin Morton giving the scum four penalties....and they missed three of them, whilst a young player named Curbishley caressed our only penalty into the net. It was my first trip to Smellhurst....I was quietly impressed with Ian Wrights goal, even if it was ment to be a cross!!!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
PSV v Montpellier. Cup Winner's Cup, 1990. I sat for 2 hours staring at the back of Bobby Robson's head and throughout the whole game it felt like the Albion weren't even on the pitch - how strange is that? :ohmy:

I got the same feeling watching Preston North End play Bolton a few years earlier.

But maybe it's just me...

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
fulham years back - midweek, pissing down with rain, we would not give the balls back to the fulham players before kick off.

During the game we were losing 2-0 and someone decided to set fire to a load of evening standards in the pissing rain :lolol:

D

Deleted User X18H

I remember a game against New Zealand in 1991 on a Monday Night I think we lost 1-0

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
BensGrandad said:
I drove down from North of Scotland ona Wednesday and stopped for a cuppa and bought a paper and didnt realise that it was Tuesdays paper and saw BHA playing away to Brentford so I put my foot down to get to the game. Arrived at Brentford 6.45pm all in darkness went into the pub and found out the game had been played the night before and we lost 2 - 0 checked the paper and saw that it was Tuesdays paper. When you buy your paper do you check it is the right days paper or do you assume it is?

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fair play to you BG for sharing that senior moment with us!

m.c.hamster

Jul 9, 2003
Goldstone 1970's.
Against Northampton (I think). Raining a lot. Half time 0-0. Final score 7-0.
Second half kicking towards the South stand we manage to score 7 without reply. Peter Ward 4 and Ian Mellor 3. Of course I wa sin the North stand and could hardly see!

Again in the 70's Away at Palace. Palace top of the league unbeaten. Brighton languishing just above the bottom. Barry Butlin on loan scores after 6 minutes and we defend the whole game without conceding.

We also lost 2-8 to Bristol Rovers in the 70's, 0-1 at home to Leatherhead (FA Cup), 0-4 to Walton and Hersham (FA Cup) Brian Clough as Manager. Played on a Wednesday afternoon due to power cuts and the 3 day week.

Am I showing my age?

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Obviously all the ones from the early 90's till the present day Id probably remember but one that sticks in my mind is a Game at withdean a Few years ago. I think it was a gainst leicester, on a friday night about a week before christmas. It was the season we first went down from the Championship. (hinshelwood & coppel and all that). On that night it was so foggy that You couldnt make out the other side of the pitch from where I was sitting in the south stand singing section. Im pretty sure we lost 1-0, and we only realised they had scored when we heard their fans cheering and saw the bloke running away on his celebration. Surreal!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here