Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strangest Albion Game Ever Attended

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Away from the obvious ones, the Exeter one a few years back when 12 of their players got booked, the only two who didn't were the keeper and the bloke taken off on a stretcher after about 8 minutes.

Seagull Stew

I'm sure we played Fulham once in the early nineties when the referee decided that their kit was too similar to our stripes. Might have been a birght day or something. Unfortunately their away kit was blue so we ended up playing in our away kit.

Did that happen or am I confusing that with the above mentioned match with Reading?

I also remember a game against Wimbledon (RIP) in the Simod cup when the £2000 or so of us in the north stand politely clapped every hoofed into the air long ball that they played. We sounded like a crowd at a bowls tournament. Hilarious!

Finally, the 5-2 home defeat to Swansea when their fans celebrated our second consolation goal in the dying minutes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The evening game at the Goldstone when they announced that HMS Sheffield had been hit by an exocet missile during the Falklands war, the football carried on but was irrelevant after that. Can't even remember who we were playing and what the score was

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
mine was a non-game...

c. 1986?

travelled in a clapped out mini from Worthing to Hull - arrived to find out that unbeknown to us the game had been cancelled at some point during our marathon journey north!

ended up at Scunthorpe v Southend and for some reason thought it would be best to stand in the home end - very scary... (I'm guessing that there may have been some Brighton in the Southend-end that day...?)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The first game of the season many years ago at Orient when Dean Wilkins was given a straight red for swearing at the lino. Seeing Deano sent off was strange in itself as anyone who saw him play would understand, but it got worse! The ref then asked someone in the crowd wearing a yellow shirt to move or change his top as he was confusing it with the lino's flag when he was running the line in that area :lol:

and we lost, which was not so strange in those days :down:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Cereal Killer said:
Didnt go but would imagine that the game on 9/11/2001 was a pretty strange game

Yup, the guy sitting near me lightened the mood with a very un pc comment when a Southampton player of North African/ Arab descent came on as a sub to "whatever you do don't let him drive you home tonight" :eek:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Oh, and then there was the Leyland Daf (or whatever) away match at plymouth during midweek, me and my mate went and Plymouth pissed all over us, but we won on penalties, and all 50 Brighton fans went mad !!!!!

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
The York game on a Thursday morning was weird

The York game when the crossbar went was fab

The walk out against Hereford was superb

The whistles against Hull (and Gritt taking the job) was defening

Fans United was heart warming

other than those 2 seasons

Longford away that ended up with players chasing each other to the dressing room for a spot of posturing and the game being abandoned

The 5 penalty match at Selhurst

Soem different ones not mentioned :-

A 3-3 draw away at Wigan - the away end was a mud bath after Wolves had been the week before and used the grass bank to do Eddy the Eagle jumps! The match was foggy (the women serving the teas was gorgeous and people started buying food and drink and then returning to the back of the queue), we where 3-1 up with minutes left and gathered in the gloom that it was 3-2, then 3-3, we couldnt see any of the action (later saw the Wigan equaliser was about 10 yards off side)

Mansfield away when Cashpoint (for those that remember him) shat himself and was carried out at arms length by the stewards! It was the same game when a lad in front of me in the pie queue was sick in his hands, just wipped them on the steps then bought some food. God people were animals in those days.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
Moshe Gariani said:
mine was a non-game...

c. 1986?

travelled in a clapped out mini from Worthing to Hull - arrived to find out that unbeknown to us the game had been cancelled at some point during our marathon journey north!

ended up at Scunthorpe v Southend and for some reason thought it would be best to stand in the home end - very scary... (I'm guessing that there may have been some Brighton in the Southend-end that day...?)

I went to that game as well. We arrived in hull just at the game got called off. We went in with the Southend fans - they were top at the time and unbeaten in a long time - we used our influence and they lost 3-1! Was the only time I got to the Old Scunthorpe ground and it still had the very first cantilever stand built in the country!

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Wanderer said:
For me it was Chester away a few years ago, turned up late, missed our first goal, went for a piss, missed our second goal, so I witnessed a win without seeing any of our goals !

reminds me of when i went to reading missed two goals whilst getting searched at turnstile, thought the two cheers ( first after 12 secs molonga as it turned out) where for the teams coming out and kick off. Then missed first goal of second half having a beer so a 5 goal 3-2 game and i missed 3

Last edited:

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Huddersfield at their old ground in the early to mid 90's, the end behind one of their goals was closed because it was covered in snow, the game went ahead because they had cleared it all off the pitch. Think Steve Foster scored with a header from the edge of the box which knocked him unconscious and we went on to beat them. At the end of the game their fans started leaving early, by crossing through the closed stand, pelting us with snowballs on their way out.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
I remember a game at the Goldstone against Shrewsbury, who had brought about 50 down so there was no noise from them at all.
Then, in our boredom and because we were playing shit, the North Stand started chanting "COME ON SHREWSBURY,COME ON SHREWSBURY,COME ON SHREWSBURY....."
I can't remember if they scored or not, but it was wierd to say the least.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Home to Swindon - April 1989.

The first game after Hillsborough when the atmosphere was very subdued, very respectful. It was the start of the period when football took a very long hard look at itself - and (viewed with hindsight) panicked.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Swindon away in the mid to late seventies.

Pissing down with rain, game in doubt.

Rumour has it that Mullery had already been told the game was off, so sent the boys for fish and chips, although quite how a ref says a game is off and then changes his mind is hard to believe.

So the Ref then decided to play the game - we were useless and were 4-0 down and it started to rain again - although it was really no worse than when the game started.

Ref abandons game!

Swindon fans not happy!

Think we went back there and replayed the game after we had already got promoted.

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
Theatre of Trees said:
Away from the obvious ones, the Exeter one a few years back when 12 of their players got booked, the only two who didn't were the keeper and the bloke taken off on a stretcher after about 8 minutes.

yes mr.carey that was an odd game, i also remember krispie coming into that game late probably from a christmas party with a party hat on and i think he feel asleep in his seat :lolol:

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
The 2 weirdest ive been 2 were Wolves away and Stoke at home last season where the fans all sung more than they had all season, about going down etc :lolol:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Heffle Gull said:
I remember a league cup game (I think) against Birmingham some time in the 80's. It was so foggy that you couldn't see beyond the Half way line from the North stand. We had to rely on the sound coming from the south stand to work out what was going on!!

There were about 8 of us in our section of the North stand for that game (the one where all the singing used to come from) and before kick off we were warned by stweards that if they saw any pushing we would be kicked out of the ground. We spent the next 10 mins pushing at thin air.

I remember that one. I was in the East stand and could hardly see the west stand. It must have been late 80's as I seem to remember my ex being with me and we didn't meet until '86.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Icy Gull said:
The evening game at the Goldstone when they announced that HMS Sheffield had been hit by an exocet missile during the Falklands war, the football carried on but was irrelevant after that. Can't even remember who we were playing and what the score was

I remember that....................think it was Wolves...........only time i went in the South Stand!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here