Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strange flashing in the night sky

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Stargazers are being urged to keep their eyes peeled on Tuesday night as Earth braces for the peak of the 2011
Geminids meteor shower.

rex-meteorshower_180013.jpg

The final celestial event of the year is set to peak on 13 and 14 December in the UK between 8pm and 2am with another
potential chance to view it on 14 and 15 December - that’s if you are brave enough to go out.

Weather permitting, Brits could see as many as 40 meteors per hour during the shower, which has been billed by Nasa
as the best one of the year.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Stargazers are being urged to keep their eyes peeled on Tuesday night as Earth braces for the peak of the 2011
Geminids meteor shower.

rex-meteorshower_180013.jpg

The final celestial event of the year is set to peak on 13 and 14 December in the UK between 8pm and 2am with another
potential chance to view it on 14 and 15 December - that’s if you are brave enough to go out.

Weather permitting, Brits could see as many as 40 meteors per hour during the shower, which has been billed by Nasa
as the best one of the year.

That may explain it then.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
It wasn't lighting. Saw a couple of strange flashes coming back from Sainsbury's in Gloucester.............complete absence of thunder, so any pillock that says it was lightning is........well.........a pillock

Thunder is the sound of rain being rapidly boiled in the atmosphere. If there is lightning but no rain then there will be no thunder. It happens frequently.

Fef

Rock God.
Feb 21, 2009
Train tracks.

There weren't any ! Was probably caused by the collision of some large hadrons somewhere. They make a bit of a flash them large hadrons when they bang together.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Apparently, when lightning is further than 10 miles away, the thunder will be inaudible

Regarding thunder...
According to wikipedia (yes, I know):
Thunder is the sound made by lightning. Depending on the nature of the lightning and distance of the listener, thunder can range from a sharp, loud crack to a long, low rumble (brontide). The sudden increase in pressure and temperature from lightning produces rapid expansion of the air surrounding and within a bolt of lightning. In turn, this expansion of air creates a sonic shock wave which produces the sound of thunder, often referred to as a clap, crack, or peal of thunder. The distance of the lightning can be calculated by the listener based on the time interval from when the lightning is seen to when the sound is heard.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Thunder is the sound of rain being rapidly boiled in the atmosphere. If there is lightning but no rain then there will be no thunder. It happens frequently.

I could easily be wrong, but that doesn't sound true at all - at least the first time I've ever heard that.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Saw 2 flashes that appeared to be out at sea at about 6pm last night.Didn't look like lightning,but I don't know.
Very strange,I thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here