Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strange flashing in the night sky

1066gull

vulture moans at everyone. Just ignore him, he is always like that. I expect he is a really good father to his kids but on NSC he is a bit of a prat.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Saw a flash of light near Newhaven at about 6pm. It was much too broad to have emanated from the railway line. I assumed it was lightning but there was definitely something about it that seemed unusual. I'd be interested to know more about why it appeared as it did - fairly low to the ground, it seemed, not like the sheet lightning that illuminates the whole sky. To be honest I might never have thought about it again had I not read some similar accounts on NSC.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It wasn't lighting. Saw a couple of strange flashes coming back from Sainsbury's in Gloucester.............complete absence of thunder, so any pillock that says it was lightning is........well.........a pillock

Living next to the sea we get lightning without thunder at times, when the storm is out to sea

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
I seem to recall when I was a kid down south that in cold, icy weather, that you used to get quite serious sparking between the pick-up shoe and the live rail on the trains, and that could give quiet a big flash.

Obviously if the sightings of this were nowhere near railway lines and it wasn't icy, it isn't the reason for what was seen last night!!!!

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Anyone know what they are? Seen several lightning'ish like flashes tonight ???

maybe high level static, you know, above the clouds. I see them from time to time over the St. Peter's Church area. No arc-ing visible but the resulting flash is quite bright.

Yoda

English & European
Saw the same thing walking down my road tonight. Spooky!

Oh! But it might have been the storm out to sea. :dunce:

Sent from my Nexus S using TapaTalk while bashing one out.

tedebear

Legal Alien
NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
I saw it last night on the way home through Lancing and again tonight - looks like lightning to me! Unless someone has strobe christmas lighting!

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Driving home from Burgess Hill you could see it over the Downs, and continuing all the way back to Hove.
Never seen anything as bright as that before

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Surprised Papa hasn't popped in to explain it! Some of the flashes could well of been the meteor, however the majority of the flashes WERE lightning. This is due to the warm sea temps at the moment combining with the cold upper atmosphere which when there is a big enough temp differential, causes storms to develop. The reason for no thunder is as said, it's to far awar to be audible, but lightning travels alot further.

It's possible to see lightning from storms in Northern France if they are big enough. Oh and thunder is caused by the heat from lightning which causes the air molecules to collide, which causes thunder.

And that's the end of tonights lesson!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Surprised Papa hasn't popped in to explain it! Some of the flashes could well of been the meteor, however the majority of the flashes WERE lightning. This is due to the warm sea temps at the moment combining with the cold upper atmosphere which when there is a big enough temp differential, causes storms to develop. The reason for no thunder is as said, it's to far awar to be audible, but lightning travels alot further.

It's possible to see lightning from storms in Northern France if they are big enough. Oh and thunder is caused by the heat from lightning which causes the air molecules to collide, which causes thunder.

And that's the end of tonights lesson!

That sounds about right.

I spent 3 months in the Cloudforest of Ecuador and we used to have, pretty much, constant flashes, but no sound. Presumably storms in far distant places and the sound unable to reach over the series of hills and valleys.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
radar on Met Office shows some massive rainfall in the channel, as it did last night. maybe 30 miles off. though i see one formation may clip Eastbourne - batten down the hatches.

as i type, i hear thunder.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
That sounds about right.

I spent 3 months in the Cloudforest of Ecuador and we used to have, pretty much, constant flashes, but no sound. Presumably storms in far distant places and the sound unable to reach over the series of hills and valleys.

Yep definitely, some of the lightning that can be seen from storms can be up to 30 miles away as they are up to 50,000 ft high!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here