Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Strange fashions

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Was chatting about it last night and this very weird "Fashion" cropped up, the one where you see some some kid walking around with one leg of his tracksuit bottoms rolled upto the knee....whats that all about?!? ???

Another one was the age old (well I remember it from the early 90's) of wearing your shiny/sparkiling/brand-new Gold/Silver necklace oustode your shirt advertising it to the world and prospective muggers...amazes me why people do that, "Here Mr Mugger, look at my new £350 Gold Chain Necklace!" :shootself

any others? (apart from Chav)

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
CrabtreeBHA said:
Was chatting about it last night and this very weird "Fashion" cropped up, the one where you see some some kid walking around with one leg of his tracksuit bottoms rolled upto the knee....whats that all about?!? ???

This is descended from American inner city ghettos. Used by drug dealers, one rolled up trouser leg indicated that the wearer had drugs to sell. Rolled down, he had nothing.

Now you know.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Re: Re: Strange fashions

D'Angelo Saxon said:
This is descended from American inner city ghettos. Used by drug dealers, one rolled up trouser leg indicated that the wearer had drugs to sell. Rolled down, he had nothing.

Now you know.

I wonder if the little twats who do this know themselves.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Thanks Saxon! Probably not Tinx, still if I see another one I'll ask. Does it matter which leg is rolled up? i.e. Left Lef for Drugs, Right Leg for Prostitution? :eek:

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Re: Re: Re: Strange fashions

tinx said:
I wonder if the little twats who do this know themselves.

Probably not, but by now it's meaning has been diluted by the massive amount of American commercial rap-videos that we are bombarded with, a number of which contain this trend.

I guess it's the same sort of thing as baggy jeans, which of course are descended from US penitentiarys where prisoners were given prison-issue slacks, all of which were big sizes, and therefore were worn baggy.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
CrabtreeBHA said:
Thanks Saxon! Probably not Tinx, still if I see another one I'll ask. Does it matter which leg is rolled up? i.e. Left Lef for Drugs, Right Leg for Prostitution? :eek:

Is it a case of the higher rolled up it is the harder the drugs,

IE rolled up above ankle is hash halfway up the calf is speed and above the knee for smack.

Similar can be applied for the other leg but I don't want to go into that one.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I thought that one rolled up trouser leg was from prison to show that your leg manacle was in place. Only the hardest criminals had manacles.

D'Angelo Saxon

SW19ULLS
Jul 30, 2004
SW19
Meade's_Ball said:
I thought that one rolled up trouser leg was from prison to show that your leg manacle was in place. Only the hardest criminals had manacles.

Sounds plausible. That probably came before the drug dealers then...

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Re: Re: Strange fashions

D'Angelo Saxon said:

Now you know.

Surely the cops caught onto this one pretty quick? :shootself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here