Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke v West Ham (Merged)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Stoke v West Ham

Stoke 1 up from another Rory Delap throw. Why do clubs not put a player a foot from the line to stop this? is it not allowed. Many years ago I am sure a player called Ollie Burton from Bournemouth I think, used to do this and jump up and down to stop a long throw being effective.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Stoke 1 up from another Rory Delap throw. Why do clubs not put a player a foot from the line to stop this? is it not allowed. Many years ago I am sure a player called Ollie Burton from Bournemouth I think, used to do this and jump up and down to stop a long throw being effective.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegulations/~/media/Files/PDF/Get%20into%20Football/Referees/LOTG201011.ashx/LOTG201011.pdf

LAW 15 – THE THROW-IN
All opponents must stand no less than 2 m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw-in is taken.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry the other one was posted whilest I was writing mine so mods please merge them and hope somebody answer my question. As it seems most obviuousto me to stop this having an effect.

ChapManiA

Banned
Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill, West-Sussex
Nice to see that the commentators know their stuff about all the English leagues.

Peter Drury - "Stoke captain Ryan Shawcross would have been the most relieved telelvision viewer last night as Aaron Ramsey made his return from injury"
Jim Beglin agreeed.

This is the same Aaron Ramsey that played 7 games on loan for Cardiff in 2011.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/RulesandRegulations/~/media/Files/PDF/Get%20into%20Football/Referees/LOTG201011.ashx/LOTG201011.pdf

LAW 15 – THE THROW-IN
All opponents must stand no less than 2 m (2 yds) from the point at which the throw-in is taken.

Ok stand 2 yds away and jump up and down and why are their ball boys allowed to dry the ball for Delap and then roll the ball back if the opponents have a throw in. Standing 2yds away would make Delap throw the ball in the air as he now throws it virtually straight.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You can't jump up and down in front of the player taking a throw in.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
OK they have obviously changed it since Ollie Burtons days. I stil think that it is wrong that the ball boys can give Delap a towell to dry the ball but not do the same for the opponents.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I can't remember you ever being able to do this, I've only ever seen play stopped and players cautioned for attempting to interfere with the restart.

And the ball boys are supposed to do the same for both teams, if the officials perceive that one team is receiving preferential treatment, then he can insist that the multi-ball system is stopped, or report the home club to the FA.

Whether they make quite the same degree of effort for one team as the other is another matter, but within reason, you can't police that.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As I said many years ago, and the oldies will no doubt remember it, a player I am fairly sure his name was Ollie Burton used to stand on the actual line and jump up and down so the thrower had to throw it from behind the line and try to get it over him. As regards the towells in the game against us all the ball boys had a towell and dried the ball then handed it to Delap and when we had a throw they rolled the ball along the ground to our player. I shall be watching for this today to see if it still happens.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
What a shit game. Might even watch the egg-chasing in a bit tbh...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here