Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke v West Ham (Merged)

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
LBG - like we did until Gus arrived you mean ... and when Gus goes it will depend who manages us next ... jeez

BB

Bognor Bystander

Looking for a new job
Oct 7, 2010
Bognor Regis
OK Beardy Gull - how does any team play anti-football ? Pulis and Stoke have managed on a budget and without bankrupting the club to get from where we are to the Prem and stay there - are you saying you wouldn't want that for us ? ? ?

BB

Joebananas

Jan 30, 2011
..like the semi-finials, and perhaps the final, and then...

Also, how many seasons have they been in the Prem?

3rd season now and although far from safe still, I think we will be alright.

A lot of teams have come up and tried to play tippy tappy. WBA a good example of a team that likes to play with flair and passing ability but they went down first season last time and will probably bite the dust again this season. Blackpool have had their plaudits and have done well for the first half of the season again trying to play passing football but will succumb to the drop just like the others now that they have been found out.

Pulis realised that from a skill perspective we are never going to compete with the Man Cities, Chelseas etc who can basically afford to buy the best players in the world. We can however beat them for commitment and physical presence and disrupt their game.

Whilst we will never be Barcelona, I have watched Stoke for nearly 40 years and some of the football is brilliant at times currrently. Fuller nearly got goal of the season the first year in the Prem. The current team would probably walk the Championship right now thats how far they have come. You are hopefully on the same path.

How far can it take us? Your probably right we are at a peak right now and Pulis has probably taken us as far as he can in my opinion. However I would, everyday of the week, take mid table Premier status, potential FA Cup final and the added bonus of a place in Europe next season!

Wouldn't you?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Good post Joe. All of that makes perfect sense to me. I'd also like to say that I'd be more than happy for Stoke or Bolton to win the FA Cup whatever style of football they play in much the same way I was pleased for Birmingham to win the League Cup. Anyone (except Palace) upsetting the big boys is fine by me.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
OK Beardy Gull - how does any team play anti-football ? Pulis and Stoke have managed on a budget and without bankrupting the club to get from where we are to the Prem and stay there - are you saying you wouldn't want that for us ? ? ?

BB

Stoke will never do a 'Portsmouth' whilst Peter Coates is chairman.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
LBG - like we did until Gus arrived you mean ... and when Gus goes it will depend who manages us next ... jeez

BB

Sure,we have not only had cloggers on the pitch,but also dire tactics from some managers. Joe makes some decent and well balanced points. However there are several teams in the Prem that dont have the money just like Stoke but are good solid Prem teams that can hold their own and can play open football such as Everton,Fulham Bolton. From the F/A level down were are told the game needs to change to the european model (is that not why Brooking was put in charge ?) just look at local level kids/junior football all based on 'pass and move' yet those same kids will watch Sorenson launch everytime (yes even at Stoke when 3 up he hoofed everytime WHY ?? what was wrong in rolling it out) Delap hurl it in hoping someone will get a head to it. Sure play that way in the last 5,but please don't base your whole game plan on that style of play.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Brighton fans in arrogant, football snobbery shocker!
We have been playing decent stuff for 5 minutes and now we have the authority to judge premier league teams, marvellous!
What do Stoke think they're doing? trying to upset the rhythm of teams with infinitely more resources than them? Surely it should only be Chelsea, arsenal, Utd, City etc who are allowed to win.
Personally, I think its brilliant how Stoke hold they're own, year in year out against the big boys, and be honest, They attack quickly & effectively as we found out to our cost so it's not all hoofball. But say it enough times and people will believe it.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Brighton fans in arrogant, football snobbery shocker!
We have been playing decent stuff for 5 minutes and now we have the authority to judge premier league teams, marvellous!
What do Stoke think they're doing? trying to upset the rhythm of teams with infinitely more resources than them? Surely it should only be Chelsea, arsenal, Utd, City etc who are allowed to win.
Personally, I think its brilliant how Stoke hold they're own, year in year out against the big boys, and be honest, They attack quickly & effectively as we found out to our cost so it's not all hoofball. But say it enough times and people will believe it.

What a strange point. Why should anyone need authority to give an opinion on how a team plays? What on earth has it got to do with how we play? I don't like their style of football. I didn't like it when we were shit and I don't like it now. Yesterday summed it up. 1st goal from long throw shocker with player blocking a defender. 2nd from free kick with player pushing a defender out of the wall. I hope they go down.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Its effective, thats about all I can say. But i wouldnt want to watch it week in week out.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
Then we disagree. I think they are making a good fist of things in the Prem and long may it continue.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here