Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stoke fan here

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Stoke don't actually score that many goals from Delap's throws. Plus I've seen a few suggestions on the Oatcake that we won't be able to cope because we won't be used to that kind of tactic. Have they ENTIRELY forgotten what League One is like? Loads of teams at our level are packed with 6'4" hoofers whose only lines of attack are to hoof it aimlessly forward, or to wang in a monster throw. That Hartlepool player at the weekend kept hurling balls into our box. It's hardly a unique or surprise tactic is it?

And Southampton calling us a long ball team: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Whilst a "wang in" is somewhat poetic - I'm keen to read more from Edna who has balls hurled into her box ....

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think I might be nearer Brovian`s age than some of the anti cup run boys on here because I agree wholeheartedly with him and that`s because we and some others still remember the days when the FA cup meant something.
Good sides have good cup runs imo

spot on.

robbie c

Jan 30, 2008
Leighton buzzard
I'd like us to play Elphick and Greer and hope they play Kenwyne Jones so they can mark him out the game like they did in the pre season game in Portugal!

kenny played 3 centre backs against Stoke so maybe
El Abd, Elphick and Dunk play
calderon bridcutt dicker bennett painter
wood murray barnes

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think I might be nearer Brovian`s age than some of the anti cup run boys on here because I agree wholeheartedly with him and that`s because we and some others still remember the days when the FA cup meant something.
Good sides have good cup runs imo

Matter of interest what age would that be exactly?

46 here... went to the 83 cup finals and had a great time despite the replay. What's more I have not once said I don't want Brighton to win on Saturday, I would just take the league over the cup this year more than any and if this had been next season with us nicely cosied into both the Amex and the Championship (hopefully) I'd have been far more up for a good cup run. But this year it is a distraction. I am also personally, and have not downgraded the importance of the cup, but for the reasons just explained not as excited as possibly any other time. Now if that causes people to be abusive and ill natured that is fine, but I do not have to subscribe to your point of views. Respect them yes but not advocate them. Schimples.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Hmmm. I love the cup and i'm no spring chicken myself. It was blinding to go to Villa last year amongst all the drudgery of mid table mediocity. When you're not going to go up or get relegated it's a perfect boost for the club (ala Wednesday and Orient). However, we have a greater goal this year and a relatively thin squad.

We're already stacking up games in hand and fixture congestion looms. The cup is just not the priority and Gus has demonstrated that by repeatedly resting players. He didn't do that last year at Villa because we had nothing to lose, but this season could be jeopardised and I bet Elphick and Brez start on Saturday. I'll stick to my cowardly opinion thanks.

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing

46 here... went to the 83 cup finals and had a great time despite the replay. What's more I have not once said I don't want Brighton to win on Saturday, I would just take the league over the cup this year more than any and if this had been next season with us nicely cosied into both the Amex and the Championship (hopefully) I'd have been far more up for a good cup run. But this year it is a distraction. I am also personally, and have not downgraded the importance of the cup, but for the reasons just explained not as excited as possibly any other time. Now if that causes people to be abusive and ill natured that is fine, but I do not have to subscribe to your point of views. Respect them yes but not advocate them. Schimples.

I`m saying that it`s not an either/or situation. Good sides are capable of good league AND good cup runs. It is about the glory and it is about pitting your skills and in Gus`s mind - wits - against the better teams. It is about beating a premiership team at their place and then waiting with your heart pounding as they draw those little numbered balls out of the hat on sunday and we realise that we have a chance of getting to Wembley and taking 30 thousand fans to a semi final. Unlikely - maybe - but it is not impossible with this side. Distraction LB ? Not for me.
PS I dont think I was abusive, was I ?

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Hmmm. I love the cup and i'm no spring chicken myself. It was blinding to go to Villa last year amongst all the drudgery of mid table mediocity. When you're not going to go up or get relegated it's a perfect boost for the club .........However, we have a greater goal this year.....

You seem to have forgotten we were deep in the doo-doo of a relegation struggle when we played Villa last year.

Before we played Villa we were 18th in the league having played more than most below us. After we played catchup away at Stockport on the following Tuesday and only drew we dropped to 20th.

So last year it was blinding to go to Villa amidst a relegation battle, but now the cup is not a priority because we are on a promotion push ?
I suppose there is some logic there....somewhere.

:amex::ascarf:

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Lets drop the Fantasy world view of us beating Premiership sides and winning the cup and promotion.
Its essential that we gain promotion so that we are playing in a decent league at Falmer, millions of pounds have been spent on the stadium and if we miss out it could be another 2/3 years at least before we are in the Championship, this would affect our gates as there are plenty of followers who are not going to attend unless we are promoted, and in that time we could well lose our manager.
Its plain common sense not to play vital players against Stoke apart from injuries there is also the chance that a heavy defeat could result in loss of form and confidence in the coming league matches.

brunswick

Aug 13, 2004
Lets drop the Fantasy world view of us beating Premiership sides and winning the cup and promotion.
Its essential that we gain promotion so that we are playing in a decent league at Falmer, millions of pounds have been spent on the stadium and if we miss out it could be another 2/3 years at least before we are in the Championship, this would affect our gates as there are plenty of followers who are not going to attend unless we are promoted, and in that time we could well lose our manager.
Its plain common sense not to play vital players against Stoke apart from injuries there is also the chance that a heavy defeat could result in loss of form and confidence in the coming league matches.

this really is the solid truth.........still come saturday all this solid truth can fly out the window as we seek wembley etc... ;0)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I have no problem with us trying to win this one on saturday. Now that we have got this far it seems ridiculous not to take it seriously, we may as well have chucked the game against Woking and be done with it (come to think of it, I think we did). At this stage of the season it is important to maintain continuity and performance, keep the machine rolling and you don't do that by taking a game off and disrupting the rhythm.

I'd expect us to start with three up front, Brez and Elphick in it at the back and reshuffle in the middle that does not include the argies. I too was worried about injuries but they are just as likely to happen against a team at the bottom scrapping for their lives as they are against Stoke. We should not go into this game afraid, we should be confident that we can give a good account of ourselves. Success means a potential two additional fixtures if replays can be avoided, and a winning team never stops wanting to play so I don't think we need to be worried about that aspect.

Obviously promotion is the primary goal this season, but I do not think success at this stage of the FA Cup will jeopardise that.

Can't wait for this game now after my initial indifference, could be a cracker.

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
I have no problem with us trying to win this one on saturday. Now that we have got this far it seems ridiculous not to take it seriously, we may as well have chucked the game against Woking and be done with it (come to think of it, I think we did). At this stage of the season it is important to maintain continuity and performance, keep the machine rolling and you don't do that by taking a game off and disrupting the rhythm.

I'd expect us to start with three up front, Brez and Elphick in it at the back and reshuffle in the middle that does not include the argies. I too was worried about injuries but they are just as likely to happen against a team at the bottom scrapping for their lives as they are against Stoke. We should not go into this game afraid, we should be confident that we can give a good account of ourselves. Success means a potential two additional fixtures if replays can be avoided, and a winning team never stops wanting to play so I don't think we need to be worried about that aspect.

Obviously promotion is the primary goal this season, but I do not think success at this stage of the FA Cup will jeopardise that.

Can't wait for this game now after my initial indifference, could be a cracker.

what he said

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

46 here... went to the 83 cup finals and had a great time despite the replay. What's more I have not once said I don't want Brighton to win on Saturday, ....
Look, I don't want to upset you, but you've either changed your mind or you didn't properly pick up on my original point. Jimmy Saville, in post #10, said: "I think the majority of fans would rather see us go out so we can concentrate on promotion." That is quite explicit, he's saying he thinks most Brighton fans want to see us lose on Saturday so that we can concentrate on promotion. That prompted my 'cowards and losers' comment (which was the only part of his post I quoted) that you took umbrage to.

Now you're saying that you don't want us to lose on Saturday!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Look, I don't want to upset you, but you've either changed your mind or you didn't properly pick up on my original point. Jimmy Saville, in post #10, said: "I think the majority of fans would rather see us go out so we can concentrate on promotion." That is quite explicit, he's saying he thinks most Brighton fans want to see us lose on Saturday so that we can concentrate on promotion. That prompted my 'cowards and losers' comment (which was the only part of his post I quoted) that you took umbrage to.

Now you're saying that you don't want us to lose on Saturday!

Am failing to get through somehow? I said I want us to win .... oh tell you what just read back the message you quoted, repetition isn't my thing.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I`m saying that it`s not an either/or situation. Good sides are capable of good league AND good cup runs. It is about the glory and it is about pitting your skills and in Gus`s mind - wits - against the better teams. It is about beating a premiership team at their place and then waiting with your heart pounding as they draw those little numbered balls out of the hat on sunday and we realise that we have a chance of getting to Wembley and taking 30 thousand fans to a semi final. Unlikely - maybe - but it is not impossible with this side. Distraction LB ? Not for me.
PS I dont think I was abusive, was I ?

No sorry you weren't, I was just quoting for the age bit which I didn't find particuarly relevant.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Am failing to get through somehow? I said I want us to win .... oh tell you what just read back the message you quoted, repetition isn't my thing.
Yeah, I know what you said, and in the light of it I was just wondering why you objected so vehemently to my original post. No biggie.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It was a generalisation as I already stated because there are so many ill natured and thoughtless posts on here just aimed at calling people names for the sake of it. I just don't understand the mentality. But I've already said all this a few posts ago and have therefore contradicted my previous post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here