Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Still keeping the faith with Potter?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I have never lost the faith.

He has come in, totally changed the way we play, brought youngsters in. He is learning and he needs time. We create a lot of chances and have a lot of possession. We won’t go down and we will be stronger next year as he would have learnt a lot in his first season.

What did people expect ?? Did you think he was going to wave a magic want change the way we play and overnight we would be challenging for Europe?

I’ve asked this question a few times, and it turns out that yes, that’s exactly what many people were expecting. Which is astonishing.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Yes, but we consistently have to correct the original team selection with substitutions in the second half.
It would be nice if the initial selection was based on how the opposition usually performed and substitutions used just to relieve tired legs.
If you catch my drift.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yes, but we consistently have to correct the original team selection with substitutions in the second half.
It would be nice if the initial selection was based on how the opposition usually performed and substitutions used just to relieve tired legs.
If you catch my drift.

It seems to be almost that a deliberately draft starting eleven is sent out for the first half and then boldly updated early in the second half, based on how the opposition is playing on the day, rather than how they 'usually perform'. Which has the upside of the subs making a real impact, but the downside of giving the opposition a boost in the early stages of the game. Swings and roundabouts, with a roller-coaster thrown in for good measure

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I think that some of the improvements like Bernardo for Burn were forced upon him so we must hope that Duffy could be the same as at least he can head the ball away, unlike the previously mentioned back 3, who despite all being over 6ft 2in rarely win a header from a cross.

Never mind your spuds team up next - take your mind off how crap Burn is.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
It seems to be almost that a deliberately draft starting eleven is sent out for the first half and then boldly updated early in the second half, based on how the opposition is playing on the day, rather than how they 'usually perform'. Which has the upside of the subs making a real impact, but the downside of giving the opposition a boost in the early stages of the game. Swings and roundabouts, with a roller-coaster thrown in for good measure

This is my concern. Recently the initial team selection has lacked consideration of the opponent's style or the pitch size (or both). Yesterday we had a good size pitch to use and we started with a relatively slow midfield and forward line and they didn't / couldn't use the space well enough. Throw on some pacier players late on and amazingly it delivered.

Against Villa, it was always going to be a kick-a-thon. With only 2 or 3 exceptions Villa were Championship grade and players like Murray and Duffy who know how to deal with that would have helped us contain that much better.

At Bournemouth we had a tight pitch with less room for passing from the back and taking that approach cost us.

Despite the above, I am totally behind Potter. The last 3 games have been tough to watch though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is my concern. Recently the initial team selection has lacked consideration of the opponent's style or the pitch size (or both). Yesterday we had a good size pitch to use and we started with a relatively slow midfield and forward line and they didn't / couldn't use the space well enough. Throw on some pacier players late on and amazingly it delivered.

Against Villa, it was always going to be a kick-a-thon. With only 2 or 3 exceptions Villa were Championship grade and players like Murray and Duffy who know how to deal with that would have helped us contain that much better.

At Bournemouth we had a tight pitch with less room for passing from the back and taking that approach cost us.

Despite the above, I am totally behind Potter. The last 3 games have been tough to watch though.

Not sure what you mean by the opponents' style and the pitch size. PL pitches are all the same size. How much of it is used by the opponents is down to their style.

Er, I suppose that was what you meant.

Sorry, reading old Spent this morning has put me in a pedantic mood. Possibly the most pedantic mood of the entire premier league. HWT OUT!!!

Regarding Murray, he was very fresh yesterday, but looked like his legs had gone previous time out, so Potter's team selection may in part be dependent on his perception of players' form/freshness. Certainly it will be a million miles from the view of some that he just closes his eyes and sticks a pin on a piece of paper with a list of names on it. Spent OUT!!!

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Not sure what you mean by the opponents' style and the pitch size. PL pitches are all the same size. How much of it is used by the opponents is down to their style.

Er, I suppose that was what you meant.

Sorry, reading old Spent this morning has put me in a pedantic mood. Possibly the most pedantic mood of the entire premier league. HWT OUT!!!

Regarding Murray, he was very fresh yesterday, but looked like his legs had gone previous time out, so Potter's team selection may in part be dependent on his perception of players' form/freshness. Certainly it will be a million miles from the view of some that he just closes his eyes and sticks a pin on a piece of paper with a list of names on it. Spent OUT!!!

That was news to me, but from a quick search on the googly thing, I see that with 1-2m variation on length / width of some PL pitches you are spot on that it is standard size.

Every day's a school day!

HWT and LK OUT!!!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That was news to me, but from a quick search on the googly thing, I see that with 1-2m variation on length / width of some PL pitches you are spot on that it is standard size.

Every day's a school day!

HWT and LK OUT!!!

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I think it’s interesting that Duffy has had an operation, which to me may indicate more of a reason for being kept out of the starting line up than say, preference for Webster.
No way that Potter leaves Brighton's most expensive signing ever sitting on the bench

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

A large differance
Arsenal
Emirates Stadium
115 x 74

Aston Villa
Villa Park
115 x 74

Bournemouth
Vitality Stadium
115 x 71

Brighton & Hove Albion
American Express Community Stadium
116 x 75

Burnley
Turf Moor
115 x 73

Chelsea
Stamford Bridge
113 x 73

Crystal Palace
Selhurst Park
110 x 74

Everton
Goodison Park
112 x 78

Leicester City
King Power Stadium
110 x 76

Liverpool
Anfield
110 x 75

Manchester City
Etihad Stadium
116 x 77

Manchester United
Old Trafford
116 x 76

Newcastle United
St. James' Park
115 x 74

Norwich City
Carrow Road
114 x 74

Sheffield United
Bramall Lane
112 x 72

Southampton
St. Mary's Stadium
112 x 74

Tottenham Hotspur
Tottenham Hotspur Stadium
115 x 74

Watford
Vicarage Road
115 x 75

West Ham United
London Stadium
115 x 74

Wolverhampton Wanderers
Molineux Stadium
116 x 74

Wolves is an odd one considering the area either side of the pitch

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
c910c8beaacc3acc20349c22e5c45b97.jpg

The mans now ventured into my LinkedIn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes...

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
The end of the article is spot on, if we stay up I think we can be comfortably mid table next season, in the summer we do not need a lot of strengthening other than striker. Staying up may be the hard part.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
How we see Potterball

Potterball 1.jpg

How Graham Potter sees Potterball

Potterball 2.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here