Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewards.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Any stewards fancy getting the train up to do a bit of freelance crowd control tonight ?

Nothing heavy, just a bit of directing and pointing.

No driving licence required, but a blackberry desirable.

Thanks.

I'm having difficulty trying to understand your point so I'll re-state mine. Read it slowly...

The steward was rude, aggressive and highly confrontational when politely asked a reasonable question.

To try and play your NSC analogy game - it would be like me telling you to 'f*** off' here and now and banning you from the site. Would such behaviour be reasonable or not?

Well then, if it was that bad I suggest you report that to the club.
The way I read your issue the first time was that he was letting other people in ahead of you - which might have had a reason behind it.
Plain rudeness like "f*** off" would misrepresent all of us and not be reasonable.

Obviously-renegade attitudes and bad language from anyone in a position representing our club, ought to be noted.
Customer satisfaction is paramount, while maintaining policies and order, public health and safety.
Unique situations can call for some on-the-spot decisions, but rudeness is uncalled for.

Last edited:

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Stewards have to be consistent. Fact.
Being 'reasonable' and letting someone do something they are "not really supposed to but just this once...okay", can get them under the scrutiny of not just their supervisor, but also their fellow stewards.
Thinking on their feet is something they are all asked to do at times - but thinking outside the rules and orders of the supervisors is not going to get them any pat on the back. Some of you might say "sound, he let me in after all the crowd were gone to take some photos", while behind that there's a group who are crying in indignation "well you let HIM up there to take some snaps, why not US??"
Then his or her fellow stewards are wanting to clear the stands - or stand out like a sore thumb in the ground because one steward is having a photo opportunist wandering up the steps!!

"Jobsworths" you say, but you try organizing something like this with all the logistics;

You can now stay late, drink and chat and make merry, transfer to a different stand (so I understand) to join with mates for a communal beer and pie, go shopping, watch tvs, view the poems and pictures and dedications and mix with all and sundry - yet there's some who DEMAND for a wander around everywhere else??

Bozza, I want to be a moderator, just for a week. I might ban or chastise a few people as it suits me. Alright??
Oh - what's that? You have an organization with this board? You have other mods, and they are installed to do a job and don't need me putting my oar in?? Well that's a bit RICH isn't it? Why should you give THEM privileges over me then?
Maybe the people allowed in the bar ahead of you were staff, or ex-players, or re-entries who asked to be let back in, guests of boardmembers or whatever- I'm sure the doorman didn't just feel better disposed to other strangers ahead of the stranger that is Bozza. We have a bar where you might find yourself mixing with Albion legends, other players and scouts, press and media, and stadium staff. That's a good thing isn't it? Do you want to create a need to segregate one type of drinker from another?

There will ALWAYS be someone ready to bang on at cops, train ticket inspectors, and stewards, and anyone with a public service position.
There will always be people more than willing to pile on their agonies and make a case against the organization that is installed specifically to BE organized and CREATE organization.

The stewards as a whole, are pleased to help and be a part of the quality experience. They do the work and appreciate those who have some understanding to do what they can to 'work with them', especially at this moment. Working against them will not help make it a great experience for any party involved!

This is not any message of 'overbearing authority', this is just letting you know that the stewards have a position, a reason, and a place in your stadium on match-day. They all want for and are trained for your ultimate best interests - accept their presence and their suggestions, respect your club and all those who work for and represent the best interests of your club, that's all. New stadium, happy days - enjoy it and accept how it all works.

Many thanks a sensible post at last

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
So what part of the north was that. The north west side had ZERO problems with stewards, we stood when we wanted and sat down when we wanted, everybody sang and there was even an old style terrace surge down the stairs when we scored the winner

i agree, block n1b, no problems.

WeAreTheAlbion

Aug 19, 2010
Northstand - AMEX Stadium
Firstly, your friend have attracted a complaint from someone for his behaviour, it's only right the stewards give him a warning, it wouldn't be right to throw him out without any warning, he may not have realised his actions were annoying/offending someone. A good friend of mine was once thrown out of Molinieux for giving a wanker sign to the home fans, he was also arrested, cautioned, and on his charge sheet it read ‘making a wanker gesture’. Your friend isn’t in any way special just because he got a warning for this sort of behaviour.

Secondly, FFS, it is an all seater stadium, every single steward is required to endeavour and enforce this. What the f*** do you expect them to do, ignore you, and the fact that a) others behind you may be getting thoroughly pissed off with you persistently standing, or b) risk them losing their jobs because they have failed to do what they are required to do.

Have some common sense, who knows, by not being hassled by the stewards it might even improve your matchday experience.

Im geussing your in either the East Stand or West Stand Upper, Standing up is all part of the atmosphere. But im geussing you wouldnt understand that.

Im geussing your in either the East Stand or West Stand Upper, Standing up is all part of the atmosphere. But im geussing you wouldnt understand that.

You might feel that way and even some staff might agree with you - but unfortunately the over-riding league and council requirements and expectations DO NOT ALLOW for individual opinions to preside!
So you see that EVEN IF from the chairman to the cleaner, everyone else "understood" the point of active support by standing - the rules surpass and over-ride your opinion!!

It's not as if it's a nudge-nudge "I fought the law" rebelliousness among fans is admirable - it doesn't do the club or the team or the fans any favours.

Ffs, just work WITH this club 'and all who sail in her' by not going up against staff just for the sake of thumbing your noses at perceived authority.
Stewards are instructed to uphold health and safety - we have a credited and well-organized club getting to grips with ALL the issues of a brand new better-than-we-ever-hoped-for Amex Stadium, so just work together and help EVERYBODY at the club.

Can you imagine Brighton might be under the scrutiny of the powers-that-be to see if we are doing everything right, at this juncture??
I certainly can imagine that!

Can you imagine tempering the standing, getting songs and chants going without constant standing in these lovely comfortable seats in nice dry stands, so it works for everybody?
That meaning a sensible amount of sitting, a bit of co-ordination for standing chants so that we support, rising for exciting moments in the match where it's understandably motivating enough to want to cheer or be in the moment?
That is what can work for everyone - whereas constant standing simply can't.

Stewards DON'T enforce rules to be bloody minded, be 'wannabe cops', or just to pleasure themselves. Fact.

Please give some thought over the reason why they DO request co-operation - and we all might be getting somewhere.
Together.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
To be fair in the middle of the North Stand I've found the Stewards nothing but friendly, polite and easy going lads and lasses ! No one has told me to sit down, been rude or aggressive towards me in any way.
I was the Chief steward at Leyton Orient for 5 years while i was a student in East London and have worked on Security at Aston Villa too, and as a doorman and you have to be tolerant and understanding.
It does help to be a fan yourself so you know the range of emotions people go through at football matches.
For some, football is literally all they have.

To be fair in the middle of the North Stand I've found the Stewards nothing but friendly, polite and easy going lads and lasses ! No one has told me to sit down, been rude or aggressive towards me in any way.
I was the Chief steward at Leyton Orient for 5 years while i was a student in East London and have worked on Security at Aston Villa too, and as a doorman and you have to be tolerant and understanding.
It does help to be a fan yourself so you know the range of emotions people go through at football matches.
For some, football is literally all they have.

That's an asset - there's a good mix of Albion til they die stewards at Brighton.
One senior steward is a Chelsea fan with a 2year old - and he's got a season ticket for his missus to take his lad to matches. The kid loves Brighton and Hove Albion, loves going, and you can imagine how proud that boy is going to be as an Albion man when he's older!
His dad is not exactly 'removed' from his regard for Brighton now is he!

MANY staff work at The Albion because they just couldn't think of a better stronger way to be part of, and fully support BHAFC.
They surely aren't there to work against the fans!! They ARE there to work for the club and its' future.

Can it get any better than that??

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Have to say, so far, the stewarding is light years away from the Withdean experience. Gone, it seems, are the jack booted, gloved up response stewards with an itchy trigger finger waiting to jump in. Replaced by?, well I don't know, I didn't notice them, much like a good referee. Long may it continue.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
From my experience so far, the stewards at the Amex are first class. Very friendly and helpful. The standing issue is separate. We were all told that standing would be tolerated in the back few rows of the North Stand ONLY. You can't blame the stewards for enforcing club policy and health and safety criteria.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

I don't suppose you could be any more wrong, but there you go.

Try reading what I wrote, and understanding the sentiment, perhaps you don't have a job where you are required to do something, but the stewards do. I am old enough to remember standing on the terraces at grounds all over the country, (in the top flight), all I ever want to do is to stand up at football, but I'm not going to get thrown out if a steward (doing his job) threatens to throw me out, what kind of idiot would allow that to happen to them?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
That's an asset - there's a good mix of Albion til they die stewards at Brighton.
One senior steward is a Chelsea fan with a 2year old - and he's got a season ticket for his missus to take his lad to matches. The kid loves Brighton and Hove Albion, loves going, and you can imagine how proud that boy is going to be as an Albion man when he's older!
His dad is not exactly 'removed' from his regard for Brighton now is he!

MANY staff work at The Albion because they just couldn't think of a better stronger way to be part of, and fully support BHAFC.
They surely aren't there to work against the fans!! They ARE there to work for the club and its' future.

Can it get any better than that??

I am getting very confused.......

Have you had a personality transplant during the close season? You do not sound anything like the NMH I remember from Withers. Has the fans happiness rubbed off onto you? As much as I try to get angry with your comments it is becoming increasingly difficult.

Hell, I am even going to give you a tiny bit of 'rep', if I can work out how!:bigwave:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Very light touch stewarding observed in WSL W11 block last Saturday , the back 2 rows stood for most of the game without any hindrance or interference.

WeAreTheAlbion

Aug 19, 2010
Northstand - AMEX Stadium
I don't suppose you could be any more wrong, but there you go.

Try reading what I wrote, and understanding the sentiment, perhaps you don't have a job where you are required to do something, but the stewards do. I am old enough to remember standing on the terraces at grounds all over the country, (in the top flight), all I ever want to do is to stand up at football, but I'm not going to get thrown out if a steward (doing his job) threatens to throw me out, what kind of idiot would allow that to happen to them?

Theres a difference between doing your job and just taking the piss because you think its funny.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
All new stewards are taken into a side room at the Amex where they have their souls removed by a Warlock. If you look at the base of their necks you will see 2 small metal prongs sticking out from the flesh, I cannot reveal my source for this intel as he lives day by day from one location to the next. I am also no longer allowed to post conspiracy theories on NSC apparently so cannot conjecture.

:)

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
Was delighted to see that the always-smiling steward from C block at Withdean is also the steward at the bottom of the C block aisle in WSL. Nice guy - always smiling - generally there just trying to be helpful. Seems they aren't all like that.

ive seen him hes a top bloke

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have to say, so far, the stewarding is light years away from the Withdean experience. Gone, it seems, are the jack booted, gloved up response stewards with an itchy trigger finger waiting to jump in. Replaced by?, well I don't know, I didn't notice them, much like a good referee. Long may it continue.

Good points, all well made :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here