Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewards.

Jimbo.GRFC

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
The stewards in our part of the North Stand were just fine. You'd hardly have known they were there :shrug:

She'll probably wont thank me for this but the lady steward in West Stand Upper, Block A was tremendous. She was friendly, courteous and did her job with a smile. Many can learn from that young lady !!

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
A steward came up to me on the concourse at the start of the second, said the game was restarting and suggested I may like to retake my seat. Think he was only trying to be helpful but it did seem a little odd.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Had a bit of a bellend at the end of the game, went round to the North concourse to meet some friends and on the way I asked on steward in a very polite and friendly manner if I could go out to the Northstand and get a picture in there, just at the top of the steps, not in the seats or anything.

"No. Come round here immediately after the game"

I then explained that I was at the far end of the East stand so the walk was longer than most, and as I live so far away and work and study, it was very difficult for me to come back down for a long long time, and could I just get this photo for a keepsake of the day along with the flags etc.

"No. Now move along or I'll have you removed."

Quite frankly I was disgusted, I was polite and friendly, and got greeted by that. I'm glad the stewards in the East in my area were sound and I was just in front of the gorgeous Gullys Girls during the game so that helped, and of course the whole damn day! But that was a bit of a needless attempt at putting a downer on it.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Was delighted to see that the always-smiling steward from C block at Withdean is also the steward at the bottom of the C block aisle in WSL. Nice guy - always smiling - generally there just trying to be helpful. Seems they aren't all like that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Had a bit of a bellend at the end of the game, went round to the North concourse to meet some friends and on the way I asked on steward in a very polite and friendly manner if I could go out to the Northstand and get a picture in there, just at the top of the steps, not in the seats or anything.

"No. Come round here immediately after the game"

I then explained that I was at the far end of the East stand so the walk was longer than most, and as I live so far away and work and study, it was very difficult for me to come back down for a long long time, and could I just get this photo for a keepsake of the day along with the flags etc.

"No. Now move along or I'll have you removed."

Quite frankly I was disgusted, I was polite and friendly, and got greeted by that. I'm glad the stewards in the East in my area were sound and I was just in front of the gorgeous Gullys Girls during the game so that helped, and of course the whole damn day! But that was a bit of a needless attempt at putting a downer on it.

I had a very, very similar experience on my way into Dick's before the game. We were in the short queue, politely waiting our turn. The chaps behind us in the queue noticed some people walk up to the steward on the door and be waved in. I wandered over and, very politely, asked why some were being made to queue whilst others were allowed to freely enter and I was told that if I wanted to make a thing of it I'd be refused entry.

He was extremely rude, aggressive and his whole demeanour was completely unnecessary.

The bloke was shaven-headed and spoke with a thick Northern accent.

I'd say based on my one experience of this chap that he shouldn't be employed by our club, directly or otherwise, as he displayed none of the skills that are required for the role he was performing.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
In complete contrast, I've barely noticed the WSU stewards yet which, like a good referee, can only be a good sign I think.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
These guys are funny, followed us to the Amex from withdean.
my mate got dragged out of one of the food ques and told anymore hand gestures and hes out :lolol:

also a few behind me almost got kicked out for not sitting down when told by the stewards in the North, its just so rediculous its funny.:thumbsup:

Firstly, your friend have attracted a complaint from someone for his behaviour, it's only right the stewards give him a warning, it wouldn't be right to throw him out without any warning, he may not have realised his actions were annoying/offending someone. A good friend of mine was once thrown out of Molinieux for giving a wanker sign to the home fans, he was also arrested, cautioned, and on his charge sheet it read ‘making a wanker gesture’. Your friend isn’t in any way special just because he got a warning for this sort of behaviour.

Secondly, FFS, it is an all seater stadium, every single steward is required to endeavour and enforce this. What the f*** do you expect them to do, ignore you, and the fact that a) others behind you may be getting thoroughly pissed off with you persistently standing, or b) risk them losing their jobs because they have failed to do what they are required to do.

Have some common sense, who knows, by not being hassled by the stewards it might even improve your matchday experience.

southern_sid

Banned
Aug 5, 2011
I was so close to getting on the pitch for the winner, but 2 stewards did there job well, my left nipple got ripped up to my right arm pit in the stopping of pissed man getting on. Probably would have ended up with a court date over it, but hey ho, never happened.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I tend to find that because I don't break the rules I don't have any problems.

Are you the one who didn't actually go to the game on Saturday....? If that's the situation, I'm not entirely surprised that you don't have any problems...!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I kissed a steward in the Upper west after we got the winner. I do hope he has got over it, it cannot have been nice for him.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I had to work and I live in the north now, so no I didn't make the game. I go to most away games and will be at the Amex before too long.

The reason why I've never had any problems with stewards is that I don't act like a knob at games or break the rules.

If you behave like a knob and break the rules at football matches you deserve to be thrown out. End of. Football isn't about acting like a twat and having fights any more; it is a family experience as reflected in the ticket prices and the fact it is an ALL SEATER stadium with a LEGAL REQUIREMENT for patrons to sit in their assigned seats.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
It's fair to say that as long as you behave then the stewards won't bother you however clearly a minority are lacking in people skills. Best thing to do is to write and complain about them to the club rather than moaning about them on here.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
So what part of the north was that. The north west side had ZERO problems with stewards, we stood when we wanted and sat down when we wanted, everybody sang and there was even an old style terrace surge down the stairs when we scored the winner

I would like to know the answer to this also. I was right at the back near the east end and the stewards left us alone all game. Never once did they ask us to sit down or say something about the swearing.

Can't fault the stewards at all.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
From my seat in the east I could see you guys in the north standing for most of the second half and the stewards doing nothing, just standing still. Was pretty impressed with the tolerance. Ditto for the away end fans

Stewards have to be consistent. Fact.
Being 'reasonable' and letting someone do something they are "not really supposed to but just this once...okay", can get them under the scrutiny of not just their supervisor, but also their fellow stewards.
Thinking on their feet is something they are all asked to do at times - but thinking outside the rules and orders of the supervisors is not going to get them any pat on the back. Some of you might say "sound, he let me in after all the crowd were gone to take some photos", while behind that there's a group who are crying in indignation "well you let HIM up there to take some snaps, why not US??"
Then his or her fellow stewards are wanting to clear the stands - or stand out like a sore thumb in the ground because one steward is having a photo opportunist wandering up the steps!!

"Jobsworths" you say, but you try organizing something like this with all the logistics;

You can now stay late, drink and chat and make merry, transfer to a different stand (so I understand) to join with mates for a communal beer and pie, go shopping, watch tvs, view the poems and pictures and dedications and mix with all and sundry - yet there's some who DEMAND for a wander around everywhere else??

Bozza, I want to be a moderator, just for a week. I might ban or chastise a few people as it suits me. Alright??
Oh - what's that? You have an organization with this board? You have other mods, and they are installed to do a job and don't need me putting my oar in?? Well that's a bit RICH isn't it? Why should you give THEM privileges over me then?
Maybe the people allowed in the bar ahead of you were staff, or ex-players, or re-entries who asked to be let back in, guests of boardmembers or whatever- I'm sure the doorman didn't just feel better disposed to other strangers ahead of the stranger that is Bozza. We have a bar where you might find yourself mixing with Albion legends, other players and scouts, press and media, and stadium staff. That's a good thing isn't it? Do you want to create a need to segregate one type of drinker from another?

There will ALWAYS be someone ready to bang on at cops, train ticket inspectors, and stewards, and anyone with a public service position.
There will always be people more than willing to pile on their agonies and make a case against the organization that is installed specifically to BE organized and CREATE organization.

The stewards as a whole, are pleased to help and be a part of the quality experience. They do the work and appreciate those who have some understanding to do what they can to 'work with them', especially at this moment. Working against them will not help make it a great experience for any party involved!

This is not any message of 'overbearing authority', this is just letting you know that the stewards have a position, a reason, and a place in your stadium on match-day. They all want for and are trained for your ultimate best interests - accept their presence and their suggestions, respect your club and all those who work for and represent the best interests of your club, that's all. New stadium, happy days - enjoy it and accept how it all works.

Last edited:

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
I kissed a steward in the Upper west after we got the winner. I do hope he has got over it, it cannot have been nice for him.

He's having couselling & is expected to make a partial recovery.

HovaGirl

I'll try a breakfast pie
Jul 16, 2009
West Hove
Our East Stand steward was fine. You could see he was touched by the flag-waving and grinning all over his face. As the match wore on, he turned to face the crowd to watch out for anyone misbehaving or getting too excitable every time there was an event, such as a near miss or a foul. You could see his eyes scanning his "department". But he didn't interfere at all. But then, we're good children in the East and a good choir to boot.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza, I want to be a moderator, just for a week. I might ban or chastise a few people as it suits me. Alright??
Oh - what's that? You have an organization with this board? You have other mods, and they are installed to do a job and don't need me putting my oar in?? Well that's a bit RICH isn't it? Why should you give THEM privileges over me then?
Maybe the people allowed in the bar ahead of you were staff, or ex-players, or re-entries who asked to be let back in, guests of boardmembers or whatever- I'm sure the doorman didn't just feel better disposed to other strangers ahead of the stranger that is Bozza. We have a bar where you might find yourself mixing with Albion legends, other players and scouts, press and media, and stadium staff. That's a good thing isn't it? Do you want to create a need to segregate one type of drinker from another?

I'm having difficulty trying to understand your point so I'll re-state mine. Read it slowly...

The steward was rude, aggressive and highly confrontational when politely asked a reasonable question.

To try and play your NSC analogy game - it would be like me telling you to 'f*** off' here and now and banning you from the site. Would such behaviour be reasonable or not?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here