Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stewarding at the Amex

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
seem much more professional at the amex . havent had many dealings at either place but i get the impression they are there to help us at the amex and seem a lot more friendly

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I would agree with that in the main but I had the misfortune to sit in H block for a couple of games where the Stewards were very provocative and in your face all the time which rather distracted from the match

Rubbish. I was in H block for 12 years (yes that does sound like a prison sentence) and the stewards were never anything but polite, helpful and courteous to me.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Rubbish. I was in H block for 12 years (yes that does sound like a prison sentence) and the stewards were never anything but polite, helpful and courteous to me.

You really are a disagreeable little oik aren't you?
That was my experience of two visits to H block in the last season at withdean and for you rubbish it, when far more reasonable posters (IMO) like Dick Knight's Mum, Dave the Gaffer and LB were of a similar opinion to me, is disengenous at least.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

This was also my experience in H block throughout the Withdean years... however we were just over the aisle (on the G block side) rather than being in with the muppets.

<font size "1" face="Courier New">Sent from my iPhone usnig my fat fingers.</font>

kip

Aug 2, 2011
Seems fine to me. Considering the amount of alcohol consumed before matches and in the ground I'm surprised there has not been a few few more issues. I guess the CCTV allows them to monitor things from a distance rather than go piling into the stands in a highly visible way.
no.. Being in the ground gives people time to sober up. Try getting more than 1 pint before the game, not easy.

This was also my experience in H block throughout the Withdean years... however we were just over the aisle (on the G block side) rather than being in with the muppets.

<font size "1" face="Courier New">Sent from my iPhone usnig my fat fingers.</font>

The muppets :lol:

H Block was infested with little rebels without a cause, for whom the object of their existence in that area was to poke their fingers up at the rival support, complain if the visitors weren't seated, and try and bait the stewards (including making them part of their songs) by standing. They may have known the restrictions we were under at that time, at Withdean, in those scaffolding stands, but still didn't mind thumbing their noses at the club they were supposed to be supporting.

Withdean was a different kettle of fish for a league club to call home for any amount of time - but inordinate for that length of time and with the status of some of our opponents over that decade.
The stewarding was handled incredibly well - and that was recognized in part by our getting The AmEx go-ahead without crowd control and safety being a sticking point.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I would agree with that in the main but I had the misfortune to sit in H block for a couple of games where the Stewards were very provocative and in your face all the time which rather distracted from the match

I had the excellent good fortune to sit in H Block for the whole of the Withdean era (apart from the early days when the singing section was in J Block, then they bumped us sideways to H Block). Yes the stewards were in your face all the time, in that they were staring up at you the whole game. But that's what stewards are supposed to do shirley? Never found them provocative in the least, though they did come down hard on standing which got up people's noses as the away fans were allowed to stand all game - unless there were only a few away fans in which case they were bullied into sitting down and generally treated as subjects of a staff training exercise. But on the whole, very few complaints about the Withdean stewards. And none about the stewards at the Amex.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here