Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steven Dobbie

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Can anyone else see the potential with him? He looks as though he can be a top player for us once he settles in a bit. Technically, I think he's very good or certainly has the potential to be very good.

Unfortunately so far he has been pretty disappointing and was poor on Sat - but I can see this one coming good? What's your thoughts?

Keep The Faith.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think he is desperate to show what he can do. A few times he has tried an extravagant flick, pass or shot that has not come off. He clearly has ability but needs to play off CMS and with two wingers.

D

Deleted member 22389

Can anyone else see the potential with him? He looks as though he can be a top player for us once he settles in a bit. Technically, I think he's very good or certainly has the potential to be very good.

Unfortunately so far he has been pretty disappointing and was poor on Sat - but I can see this one coming good? What's your thoughts?

Keep The Faith.

People need to give the bloke a chance. He is getting used to the system. The thing that concerns me is when I hear people slagging him off along with Barnes from the stands. No need for it. Not exactly the way to give our players confidence.

Wait until Dobbie is on fire along with CMS. That's a dream combination. Lots of clubs can only dream of having these sorts of players.

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
He definitely has the quality, he just needs to be played in a familiar position (just behind the striker) not upfront on his own. He looked alright on Saturday and showed promise, i think he just needs as much game time as possible.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Quality, will definitely prove himself (again) once he gets to start a few games and with the right set up around him

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
People need to give the bloke a chance. He is getting used to the system. The thing that concerns me is when I hear people slagging him off along with Barnes from the stands. No need for it. Not exactly the way to give our players confidence.

Wait until Dobbie is on fire along with CMS. That's a dream combination. Lots of clubs can only dream of having these sorts of players.

Agree, Dobbie needs to settle in. He played without any fire on saturday but think he will come good. However, after that performance, I have no problem with Barnes being slagged off from the stands. I thought he had a terrible game, well below standard.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's a difficult one, as I know he's a good player. I know he has lots of tricks and skills, and he's been excellent for all the other clubs he's played for at this level.

He has, however, been awful for us so far- virtually everything he tried failed miserably on Saturday. Even that mazy dribble into the box ended with him passing it gently back to the keeper. I want it to work, as I'm sure he is good, but it's not working for him at the moment. Perhaps he's trying too hard, I have no idea. But if you didn't know of his reputation and CV, and were judging him purely on what you've seen of him so far, you'd think he was a shocking player.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think that's the one thing we can rule out. The man is a massive bottler, he's afraid to even leave his foot in tackles and I've lost count of the number of times he waits for the ball to come to him only for it to be easily intercepted by a defender because he's not willing to go to it and challenge. Dobbie is a TART and another example of funds being wasted by Poyet. I can sometimes tolerate shit players, but what I cannot stand is shit players who don't try.

With respect ........ total bollocks

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
"Trying too hard" doesn't necessarily mean leaving your boot in.

What I'm getting at is that when your confidence is down, you sometimes overdo things, try and make them happen rather than playing your natural game and being instinctive. CMS was like that at times last season, constantly in the wrong place at the wrong time, and his evident desperation made him miss chances he'd normally score.

Calling Dobbie a shit player is wrong. Billy Paynter is a shit player. Dobbie is not, he's a decent player who isn't playing to his best at the moment and hasn't got the confidence you get from scoring goals. If we can work out how to get the best of him, he'll be a far better player than a lot of the "strikers" we've seen over the years. I just hope we can do that.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Can definitely see the potential in him.

I was disapointed he didn't start on Saturday as I think playing behind CMS they could form a really useful partnership. Dropping off into the space that CMS would allow stretching the opposition defence, he would then have the time to pick a pass or take the ball on himself. He has superb control and technique, better than any of our other attacking players.

I don't think he can be judged on a handful of appearances so far when he has been played out of position or given just twenty minutes at the end of a game. He is not a Lua Lua or Buckley who are going to come on and create havoc with their pace when running at tired defenders.

You only need to view the You Tube videos of him to see the ability he has and as I have said before the way he is talked about so fondly by Blackpool and Swansea fans who saw him play for a long period of time says a lot more about him than the abuse being dished out on here and at the games.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's not. Unlike some people on this site I'm more than prepared to accept other opinions, so if some people think he's a good player then fair enough. I just happen to think he's shit. But what is surely not up for debate is his effort. I've honestly never seen a player pull out of as many challenges in a career as Dobbie has in five games.

Lucky you, you must have missed an awful lot of players in the 1980s and 1990s then. To name but one: Dean Wilkins wasn't called Wendy by supporters for nothing.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Class player who has only had 10 minutes (on Saturday) in his correct position with CMS in front of him. Some of the stuff he tried was sublime, the mazy dribble for example to crate space for a shot, but his finishing wasn't great. Give him a run of games in that position behind CMS and he'll more than prove his worth. Stupid to write him off as lazy and shit already, but then this is NSC.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think he looks like a very very good little player. His footwork is excellent, as is his ability to pick a pass.

Anyone who wants him to be the central striker will not rate him, but I think he could play the George Boyd role for CMS very, very well indeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here