Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steven Dobbie to Millwall

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I really hate the way people on here continually use the word "disinterested" when they actually mean "uninterested". The two words mean completely different things in English.
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/disinterested-not-the-same-as-uninterested/

Actually:

"Disinterested and uninterested share a confused and confusing history. Disinterested was originally used to mean “not interested, indifferent”; uninterested in its earliest use meant “impartial.” By various developmental twists, disinterested is now used in both senses. Uninterested is used mainly in the sense “not interested, indifferent.” It is occasionally used to mean “not having a personal or property interest.”

But thanks anyway...

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
I really hate the way people on here continually use the word "disinterested" when they actually mean "uninterested". The two words mean completely different things in English.
Hear, hear. Although I'm afraid you're going to have to get used to seeing "here, here" on here. Or else develop a thicker skin. Tough, I know.

Getting back to the point, the one person on the pitch who must always be seen as disinterested is, of course, the referee.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
We are saying we can't loan him to a team in a similar league positions as us. People, we are not loaning out Bridcutt, Buckley or another one of our top players. We are loaning out a player that has scored 2 goals and doesn't exactly like he is going to be scoring too many more. If he gets some match time there great and if not, least he is off our books for the rest of the season.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Actually:

"Disinterested and uninterested share a confused and confusing history. Disinterested was originally used to mean “not interested, indifferent”; uninterested in its earliest use meant “impartial.” By various developmental twists, disinterested is now used in both senses. Uninterested is used mainly in the sense “not interested, indifferent.” It is occasionally used to mean “not having a personal or property interest.”

But thanks anyway...

You're absolutely right that historically there were different meanings to these words, but certainly in correct contemporary (20th-21st century) English usage, the distinction remains: disinterested = impartial; uninterested = not interested.

Oxford English dictionary and most other authoritative sources (as a quick web search will confirm) make this point. The key thing is that if people keep confusing the two, we lose a useful linguistic distinction and gain nothing.

Definition of disinterested (British & World English)
Disinterested and Uninterested - Definitions, Examples, Exercises - Disinterested versus Uninterested - Commonly Confused Words
Disinterested vs. uninterested: A blurring of neutrality | KUEditing.com
Grammar Girl : "Disinterested" Versus "Uninterested" :: Quick and Dirty Tips

but thanks, anyway...

Dec 29, 2011
We are saying we can't loan him to a team in a similar league positions as us. People, we are not loaning out Bridcutt, Buckley or another one of our top players. We are loaning out a player that has scored 2 goals and doesn't exactly like he is going to be scoring too many more. If he gets some match time there great and if not, least he is off our books for the rest of the season.

I have no doubt Dobbie would bring extra quality to ANY team in this division, assuming the fact the manager knows how to use him.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
You're absolutely right that historically there were different meanings to these words, but certainly in correct contemporary (20th-21st century) English usage, the distinction remains: disinterested = impartial; uninterested = not interested.

Oxford English dictionary and most other authoritative sources (as a quick web search will confirm) make this point. The key thing is that if people keep confusing the two, we lose a useful linguistic distinction and gain nothing.

Disinterested and Uninterested - Definitions, Examples, Exercises - Disinterested versus Uninterested - Commonly Confused Words

but thanks, anyway...

I think there's a possibility that you may care a little too much about this... (And I'm a massive pedant)

Dec 29, 2011

but thanks, anyway...

In Laymans terms, what is the difference between disinterest and uninterested? I'll try use them correctly in the future.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If he does well there can we trade him and some money for their enourmous Irish attacking mid............. what's his name? Best player on the park in all 3 Millwall Brighton games I've seen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here